Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

red box P40

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 04:15 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default red box P40

well just won a good price on ebay .this was one of the first warbirds i built back on college. With new technoloigy i am looking forward to the changes that i can make .
I am looking to power this with eletric , will add new eletric retracts and many scale mods .
Hopefully this will deliver in one piece,apparently its in China and will be shipped to arrice in mid november

Old 10-27-2012, 06:13 AM
alanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: red box P40

Nice find, but isnt it better to ship it to a kit collector, and spend the moneys generated (proffit) on the gold edition one, at least thats got a airfoil tail feathers, is bit abigger, and more scale, i know you are a great detailer, but its old tech these days, i had one years ago, flew superb, funny how no-one noticed the retracts though, mine went sideways
Old 10-27-2012, 06:40 AM
mike early

I built one (the only kit I ever built) back in 1983. Sold it and never actually got into the hobby until 2007.
I recently saw the guy I sold it to and saw the plane. It's old-school. I love my Gold Edition ARF.

Sell it LDM, and make a profit, man!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:16 PM
LDM

Yes , tempted to simply turn it , i did that with a few platt planes and made great money !
On my first built I did bash it , added retracts , scale built up tail , rear windows , interior ect.
Around 1995 , I still had not flow the plane after it sitting around for about 7 years .
ARFs were not that good yet so I decided to sell it . I did not even know how to post on ebay so I took it to an ebay sellers store .
Told him I wanted $500 , for everything . I left , I was called 10 days later told to come in and get my check.
The plane went for $925 dollars lol , talk about happy , the ebay guy gets 10% for posting and shipping ect .

If i build it , i will bash it to scale ,the reason why I did not get the Gold Edition kit was the wing has bad washout, so i figured why build an entire kit that I know does not fly well .
If I want the Gold Edition I will be getting the arf .
BUt as always i respect your comments and appreciate the chatter .
I think it will be cool to revisit this kit with 20 years behind my belt of building vs it litterally being my first warbird built kit back in the 80ties
Old 10-29-2012, 10:36 AM
LDM

Well , you know I need to build something , i dont have enought projects going lol !!!
just finished my LX P40 mods , flew it about 8 times and now ready for winter .
http://youtu.be/6TqVe9sL1SA
Old 10-29-2012, 10:59 AM
kaikokid

Good to see you Lou. Good luck with this. Hope to see a video of your LX P40 flying as well. No pressure LOL.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:59 PM
LDM

Hi Kai , good to see you as well .
I am getting a "hat cam" lol , its too difficult considering I fly alone or with two guys to get video because we are so casual .
So wifey was going to record for me but we have not had one weekend of hood weather . As I type this I am literally sitting in 60 mile an hour winds as we ride out the Sandy tropical storm mixed with a North Eastern storm !!!

Really crazy right now !!
Anyhow , I am looking at what cameras that I can get without breaking the bank .Go pro Hero is $200 and I know there are some low budget ones for $70 .
Old 10-29-2012, 06:33 PM
kaikokid

From what I can see of Sandy on the net I have to say I'm glad it's on your side of the planet !  Hope things don't get to bad.Good luck.
 BTW the video thing would be nice but don't worry about it on my account . Glad to hear that plane has no super bad issues. Now back to the Red Box which I know nothing about. What WS and AUW do you envisage it will have ?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:08 PM
LDM

The red box P40 is a simply old style kit that needs work to be stand off scale , however they fly great !
i think it was about 60" span , all sheeted fun scale .
The tail is simply flat wood and the flaps are one piece vs two .
I was anxious to get the plane because of modern day rc parts vs when I build this in the late 80ties .
With eletric , and eletric retracts , this should come out so much better .
I plan on drilling out the wood for the purpose of saving weight , most parts are over done on this kit .
Also the decals as far as the shark mouth leaves a lot to be desired .
If I have the energy I will be bashing it to stand off scale and try to move quick on this one .