Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Monster Planes 2012

Are there any pictures and comments from this year's Monster Planes?

Rivets, Screws, Panel lines, Detail & Finish Sets, Paint Masks and other equipment for scale warbirds - www.nsmodelers.rs

RE: Monster Planes 2012

I lost about $400.00 due to Sandy!! I am done with any of these events! I will fly at home from now on!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

to ledd4u
    explain most of us dont know what your talking about
    who is sandy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am thinking Sandy is the storm that is now moving up the east coast causing high winds, rain and such. Just a thought on my part, Dave
    If the screw ain\'t loose then things ain\'t normal.

Dave Agar
    AMA#97144

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is that mean Monster Scale was not held?
    Rivets, Screws, Panel lines, Detail & Finish Sets, Paint Masks and other equipment for scale warbirds - www.nsmodelers.rs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Meet was held w/ 30-40 mph winds. small turnout.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whoa. Big planes but still got to have ice water in your veins to fly in those conditions.

if he had been flying at home, he would have had to make a descion to fly or not, same as at lakeland, sandy is moving up the east coast, but her talons reach inland, my lad & his new wife drove up the coast from key west battling their way to orlando international, for their flight home, we had constant skype updates, the weather at the airport, close to lakeland, was atrocious, i cant imagine anyone flying in those conditions, whats the 400dollars?

Hotel $234.00, registration $100.00 and tent fee $100.00. Sucks not anyone's fault just luck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I went.
    I drove from Vancouver, B.C. and, yes it was quite windy, but I wasn't going to go all that way and not fly. I flew the big Waco 6 times, it was a bit bumpy with a very lightly wing loaded bi-plane, but it was fun.(at least that's what I kept telling myself)
    Yes, the turnout was disappointing, however a lot of those that would normally be there, stayed at home to look after things during the hurricane. The past 4 years have been good, but I feel badly for Frank Tiano that the event didn't go as hoped. As they say S*^#t happens.
    There's always next year.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Was great to see you Dave! Thanks for all the helpful info with the Waco. The way the weekend was weather wise left my dad more than pleased to have gotten his 40% Waco maidened. Never would I have thought he would demand that we do it at that event in those kind of conditions. All went well enough and I think with six pounds or so of nose weight it will be a sweet flyer. A little tricky landing her in the tail heavy condition.
    Again, thanks for all your help and expert advice! Looking forward to seeing you next year.

Sincerely,
    Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a pic or two!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec89207.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	1815669   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wq43658.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	1815670  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's a great picture of you and your dad. I'm really happy for both of you that the maiden went well, apart from the slight balance issue. I think your dad looks a little relieved it all went basically to plan. My hat's off to him for a great and ambitious project.
    Hopefully, we may be able to fly in a (very loose) formation next year.
    My regards to your father, and to you.
    See you next year.
    Cheers,
    Dave.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello,
    Monster Planes was defenitly a wind event, Sandy aka, Frankenstorm in the Atlantic forced some of us to
    just sit, assist and watch the brave souls fly in the stuff. They really had the right STUFF. Big airplanes seem to be
    just as everyone always says, more forgiving, easier to fly than small planes. Only know of two incidents thru the
    event and none really had to do with the prevailing winds. One engine out, one hard landing from a table top that
    had the plane just sitting on it. I saw one of my friends make a real nice heavy cross wind landing and with what the announcer said, if that looked easy it's probably because the pilot is just very good, another pictured with the Fokker D-7 flew is butt off, and did manage to get himself a Best WW I plaque for his efforts, Congrats Don !!
    Personally I had a fairly light weight large Stinson Reliant with just enough power and not much to spare, and without much stick time with it i elected to sit it out, but even though i did i still managed to have a great time with all that showed up. Cheering on and assisting or spotting for the others who braved the weather was just as much fun.
    Friday was the worse of the three days, but saturday the turn of wind direction from the N W and some times early in the day nearly down the runway made it very much better and more spectators turned out also with more pilots flying so not being there on thursday i think saturday was the better day. Support even with perhaps a bad forcast means a lot to those of us who run these events. A showing even if only to display and participate in other ways is still worth the funds spent on the event. I met some great people i haven't met before and got to socialize with others that i have known and don't see very often. To the people who i shared space with
    from my local area Thanks for all the support and hospitality. I would do it all over again if it is just as it was this past weekend in a heartbeat. I hope everyone had as much fun as I. I enjoyed the time with you all. Great Job on the WACO Scott !! And most of all to the Imperial members who worked the event, and Yeah i know, suck up !! Thanks to Frank Tiano for another great Event !! I wish you great success on the next event. Looking forward to my registration in the mail. Hope to see many of you at Corvin Miller in Sarasota for the Upcoming US Scale Masters Qualifier for 2013.

In closing Everyone I talked with seemed to have the same thought i did, Those who attended all had a great time !!

Roger
    Team Hitec Pilot
    Sarasota, Florida

Name:	Xv62975.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	1815740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qn38235.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	1815741  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Mogman, It appears to me about 1/3 of your route home is in Sandy's path. Is that correct? And are you taking a new route to avoid trouble?
    Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

David will be well out of the storm's path. He will drive directly to Nashville, and then begin to bend it more toward the West. He should have good weather all the way to the Continental Divide. G-D only knows what he will hit there. I suggested that he take the Southern route and pick up I-5, but that is adding a ton of miles to the drive home. Here is David with his Waco.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Name:	Db86379.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	1815809  
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had the same thing happen to me for a TG event and it was about a $400 loss too, with tent fees, registration, etc. I am finished with the Tiano events too. After all, they are about making him and BVM money, and no one else. IMHO.
    JPO Yearly Member. Retired ATP B-727, HS-125, IA-JET

AMA Turbine CD Waiver Holder- BVM F-16, CARF-Viper, Flash, Super Extra 3.2M, 44%Giles, Extra 330, 1/8th scale F-18, flying r/c since I was 11 years old.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ledd4u

Hotel $234.00, registration $100.00 and tent fee $100.00. Sucks not anyone's fault just luck.
    So what you are saying is that none of that was refundable due to weather issues (which I find totally odd) or that you made the decision to go despite the weather forecast.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been to Monster Planes several times and Frank puts on a top shelf event. The new area is perfect for planes and jets. The weather kept me away this year but will look forward to 2013. I didn't get the impression that it was "all about Frank"

Pete
    \"Remember, all I\'\'m offering is the truth, nothing more...\"
    Morpheus

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I went, and the event was enjoyable. Frank puts on a first class event. Frank may be a lot of things, but he does not control the weather. Having said that, most every plane in attendance did fly, and the losses were minimal. If you used the weather as an excuse, and stayed home, you have no one but yourself to blame. This and the other events that Frank puts on are done on a grand scale. I sincerely hope that you don't think that he can operate events of this type on a song. It costs him a ton to put on these events. These are not your local flying field events. Give them a try, and quit bad mouthing Frank after every event. I've been going every year since the inception and even when the event was at Lake Wales. It is a great venue, and a great show. Sorry that you decided not to come.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I attended a full scale fly in at Evergreen, Alabama last weekend (SERFI) and weather was an issue there also. IFR conditions well into the morning Saturday and significant winds kept the expected attendance of 250-300 planes to 80. It was cold, windy and low ceilings all weekend.

Those of us who did fly in (or drove) to the event had a good time anyway. Great friends met and new friends made.

Outdoor events will always be subject to the weather. I feel worse for the promotors than someone who "lost" a few hundred bucks because they got their fun weathered out. If you think it's fun promoting an outdoor event, laying out a significant amount of time and cash, then sweating out the weather, give it a try sometime. I've been there, I know.

Congrats to the guys who flew and brought their planes home.

Dale

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bookmaker

Outdoor events will always be subject to the weather. I feel worse for the promotors than someone who ''lost'' a few hundred bucks because they got their fun weathered out. If you think it's fun promoting an outdoor event, laying out a significant amount of time and cash, then sweating out the weather, give it a try sometime. I've been there, I know.

Congrats to the guys who flew and brought their planes home.

Dale

Spot on.
    WGRC has it's annual fall fly in this weekend (Nov 3rd) and the past two years the weather had been cold and windy but this year we are looking for sunny sky's and temps in the mid 70's. We have expended over $800 and the club would take a hit if turnout is low due to weather.

Pete
    \"Remember, all I\'\'m offering is the truth, nothing more...\"
    Morpheus

i went to TOP GUN, and saw my buddy Steve from bobs hobbie store, the event was superb, a LOT of money seems to be put into the lakeland events, if the organiser make a $ or 2, then why not? only thing that made me leave early where those damned LOVE BUGS, how the hell did you guys come up with those things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys does someone had a camera?

Picture please!!!!

Regards from Serbia

Mirce

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was there as a spectator. Disappointing but thats what mother nature dished out. The green Waco was superb, never did get a chance to visit with the owner but it looked great and he had the guts to fly in the wind. Nice bird, my favorite at this very limited event. Good thing you are a few doors down from Orlando and plenty to do there to have a great long weekend vacation when the flying goes bust. Beats the snow in Colorado!

Franks auction techniques must be a learned trait. Hopefully I'll have better luck next time!
    Jerry.
    Longmont Aircraft Modelers Association
    Longmont, CO visit our site at www.lamarcclub.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast