Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Warbird motor choice, mag or ignition

I have a Ziroli P-47, 71" wingspan model that use to have a G-38 on it. I am in the process of replacing the engine.
    Are most of you using a Zenoah type or one of the newer ones like DLE 35 with electronic ignition?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Warbird motor choice, mag or ignition

Most of the warbird pilots in our group would use the G-38 for that plane. You need the weight anyway and you'll never wear out the engine. You can get it in either magneto or EI.
    The choice depends on your personal preference. I like the magneto since you will need the weight anyway and you have two less things to cause trouble. (batteries and switches)
    Don't let the IMAC and 3D guys tell you that the G-38 is a dog. Prop it correctly and it will out perform any of the 30cc pattern engines. It just isn't sexy enough! Twenty years from now when your g-38 is still flying the others will be but a faint memory!
    Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The biggest plus for EI is a smoother idle. Other than that, I would go with a magneto if you need the nose weight anyways.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is a lot to be said for the G38 on the magneto. I have (2) in my DC-3 which is 26 years old and they still run like clock work. I never worry about batteries or anything else, just fuel and fly.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys, who does the electronic ignition for the zen 38s? is it an after market thing?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zen is now selling the whole line either way. Not sure if it is their own ignition or an RCxcel. Either way, they come ready to run.
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually Zenoah is not selling the entire line either way, Zenoah only offers the 20 with an electronic ignition system. Stock Zenoah engines are magneto based engines.

The main line up of ZP engines offered by Horizon has all electronic ignition systems. These are Zenoah base engines, but have been coverted to electronic ignition by Horizon. The sizes available are: 20, 26, 38 62, and GT80.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can get it in the air for less using a Zenoah or Quadra engine. As stated these are good for most warbirds and perform well and do last forever. If it has mag ignition I would leave it as-is instead of spending $$ to convert it.
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Actually Zenoah is not selling the entire line either way, Zenoah only offers the 20 with an electronic ignition system. Stock Zenoah engines are magneto based engines.

The main line up of ZP engines offered by Horizon has all electronic ignition systems. These are Zenoah base engines, but have been coverted to electronic ignition by Horizon. The sizes available are: 20, 26, 38 62, and GT80.
    Considering Horizon is the distributor, I would consider the EI Zenoah engines new. Not having to go to a third party .The point is, you can order a brand new Zenoah engine in a mag version or an EI version.
    I prefer the Mag engines and they can be found in droves used. If you want to save a buck. If something is wrong, they are very easy to fix or work on.
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless