Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Warbird motor choice, mag or ignition

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Warbird motor choice, mag or ignition

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 AM
ekir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warbird motor choice, mag or ignition

I have a Ziroli P-47, 71" wingspan model that use to have a G-38 on it. I am in the process of replacing the engine.
Are most of you using a Zenoah type or one of the newer ones like DLE 35 with electronic ignition?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:59 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Warbird motor choice, mag or ignition

Most of the warbird pilots in our group would use the G-38 for that plane. You need the weight anyway and you'll never wear out the engine. You can get it in either magneto or EI.
The choice depends on your personal preference. I like the magneto since you will need the weight anyway and you have two less things to cause trouble. (batteries and switches)
Don't let the IMAC and 3D guys tell you that the G-38 is a dog. Prop it correctly and it will out perform any of the 30cc pattern engines. It just isn't sexy enough! Twenty years from now when your g-38 is still flying the others will be but a faint memory!
Larry
Old 11-15-2012, 08:50 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest plus for EI is a smoother idle. Other than that, I would go with a magneto if you need the nose weight anyways.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a lot to be said for the G38 on the magneto. I have (2) in my DC-3 which is 26 years old and they still run like clock work. I never worry about batteries or anything else, just fuel and fly.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 AM
alanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, who does the electronic ignition for the zen 38s? is it an after market thing?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Zen is now selling the whole line either way. Not sure if it is their own ignition or an RCxcel. Either way, they come ready to run.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Actually Zenoah is not selling the entire line either way, Zenoah only offers the 20 with an electronic ignition system. Stock Zenoah engines are magneto based engines.

The main line up of ZP engines offered by Horizon has all electronic ignition systems. These are Zenoah base engines, but have been coverted to electronic ignition by Horizon. The sizes available are: 20, 26, 38 62, and GT80.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

You can get it in the air for less using a Zenoah or Quadra engine. As stated these are good for most warbirds and perform well and do last forever. If it has mag ignition I would leave it as-is instead of spending $$ to convert it.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Actually Zenoah is not selling the entire line either way, Zenoah only offers the 20 with an electronic ignition system. Stock Zenoah engines are magneto based engines.

The main line up of ZP engines offered by Horizon has all electronic ignition systems. These are Zenoah base engines, but have been coverted to electronic ignition by Horizon. The sizes available are: 20, 26, 38 62, and GT80.
Considering Horizon is the distributor, I would consider the EI Zenoah engines new. Not having to go to a third party .The point is, you can order a brand new Zenoah engine in a mag version or an EI version.
I prefer the Mag engines and they can be found in droves used. If you want to save a buck. If something is wrong, they are very easy to fix or work on.