Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Have you seen the latest price on the TF Corsair?

Heck, that will buff out! Next time get the plane rolling faster and hold it on the ground until the tail comes off and you are at full throttle. Airspeed prevents tip stall. You don't want to be pulling back on the stick too much either when getting up to speed.

I tip stalled my big P-40 last fall on a landing. Got a little too slow and caught a wind gust at the wrong time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Torque roll IMO is better than Snap Roll
    Remember to FLY HARD and LAND SOFT

AMA 5288
    IMAC 3721
    IMAA 24878

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Corsairs' gull wings have a tendency to roll the sucker when they yaw. They show some rudder couple because of it. Give some left rudder and she rolls left. Throw the power at her and the p-effect yaws her left and the yaw adds some roll in that direction to make things worse.

I've got a new 50 Corsair from H9. Got the EFlite 100degree retracts in her. It's the sweetest ground handling Corsair I've had. (I got 3 right now.) None of the others have or had wheels so far forward. Every other one has been touchy on take off. The response to ham-handed throttle advances are left turns. The ground stance before rotation is about as nose-up as you're going to find. Can you spell p-effect? And the wheels are too far under the CG. So all the previous had about every bad takeoff characteristic known to man.

Slowly, slowly roll the throttle on for takeoff. You wind up with a nice long (for model airplanes) takeoff roll that is not risky at all. Get too fast on the throttle and you've got just the bird to make you sorry you did that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eb87097.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	1869601  
    Good flying wit ya today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with that
    I am not saying pour to coals to her
    Ease into the throttle

I always try to tell my pilot students you have to feel the plane when it is ready for takeoff

AMA 5288
    IMAC 3721
    IMAA 24878

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One thing ! It take a long time for a pilot to feel like he is in the plane the way a lot of us do. When this happens you can really enjoy the hobby. some time we even know when to leave it on the ground and other times we wish we had done just that[:@]
    This is as far as I am going to HI jack this thread , it is still a great buy.
    Larry K
    Sig Brotherhood # 1 Sig Kadet Brotherhood # 4 WACO Brotherhood #34 Cub Brotherhood 14

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And a side shot of the TF Corsair with 100 deg Sierras. Wheels are out forward. Didn't have the toe-in right on first t/o. really squirrelly. Added a little toe-in and t/o is uneventful.

Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq45688.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	1869720  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Could one who has installed the Sierra retracts in this plane please post some pictures of the installation including the modifications neccesary for instalation? I would appreciate it since I would like to get a better feel for things before I start cutting.

Also, does the large star go on the fuselage or the wing?

Thanks.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I put the large star on the wing. I think the large star is too big to look right on the fuse.

I'll take some pics and post them later (if RCU picture posting is working). the mods I made were not difficult.

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, looking forward to them.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Sierra installation. These replaced Robart 615s.
    RCU would not let me upload pictures, so they are here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90085563@N04/sets/72157633179061961/
    Picture 1 - A. Completed working installation. The Sierras sit more forward than the Robarts so a couple of holes from the Robart installation are showing in each rail.
    Picture 2 - The Sierras just barely fit between the leading edge and the spar. The rear air nipple fit through the existing hole in the spar. Had to trim the forward sheeting all the way to the rear of the leading edge.
    Picture 3 - A. Trim the channel to the wheelwell just a little on each side. The upper portion of the trim is plastic. Got into just a little balsa at the bottom.
    Picture 3 - B. The back of the retract frame didn’t quite clear the spar/shear webbing. I dremeled just a little in that area.
    Picture 3 - C. Note the thicker nylon washer between the retract and strut. My wheels (stock) were just barely binding on the front of the wheelwell. Pulled off the strut and installed a very slightly thicker nylon washer (probably from Lowes).
    Picture 2 - B. Once I was sure everything would fit and the retract rails were level, I put a thin paste of epoxy/microballs on each rail, put a layer of waxpaper over the retract, set the retract in place and weighted it down. Got a good square retract setting.
    Put the wheels in place, hook up the airlines, make sure it works, then drill and install screws one by one.
    A degree or so of toe-in with the tail up has worked best for me.
    Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got mine fixed and flown already, she isn't the perttiest but she does fly lol, once I can I'll get some pics up...
    Lower, Lower, Ah Damnit
    Ed P-40 Brotherhood # 61

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

tardster: Great! Enjoy the plane.

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aghost

My Sierra installation. These replaced Robart 615s.
    Â*
    RCU would not let me upload pictures, so they are here:
    Â*
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90085563@N04/sets/72157633179061961/
    Â*
    Picture 1 - A. Completed working installation. The Sierras sit more forward than the Robarts so a couple of holes from the Robart installation are showing in each rail.
    Picture 2 - The Sierras just barely fit between the leading edge and the spar. The rear air nipple fit through the existing hole in the spar. Had to trim the forward sheeting all the way to the rear of the leading edge.
    Picture 3 - A. Trim the channel to the wheelwell just a little on each side. The upper portion of the trim is plastic. Got into just a little balsa at the bottom.
    Picture 3 - B. The back of the retract frame didn’t quite clear the spar/shear webbing. I dremeled just a little in that area.
    Picture 3 - C. Note the thicker nylon washer between the retract and strut. My wheels (stock) were just barely binding on the front of the wheelwell. Pulled off the strut and installed a very slightly thicker nylon washer (probably from Lowes).
    Picture 2 - B. Once I was sure everything would fit and the retract rails were level, I put a thin paste of epoxy/microballs on each rail, put a layer of waxpaper over the retract, set the retract in place and weighted it down. Got a good square retract setting.
    Put the wheels in place, hook up the airlines, make sure it works, then drill and install screws one by one.
    Â*
    A degree or so of toe-in with the tail up has worked best for me.
    Â*
    Brian
    Â*
    aghost, thanks, that is just what i needed. I was looking at triming the rear of the mount for fitting the retracts and did not think about triming the front. Now I know what to do.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok guys n gals, here is some pics once I pieced her back together. I need to do some finishing touches to it like fix the cowl and put some lock tight on the muffler but she has flown and did pretty good. I do have to admit though that the reason she crashed isn't because of tip stall. I made the biggest of newbie mistakes. As I was fixing everything I found out that the channel was reversed so when I tried to save it I actually crashed it instead lol...

Lower, Lower, Ah Damnit
    Ed P-40 Brotherhood # 61

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks pretty good considering...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks aghost, I will get the cowl fixed so it sits on there right but I think I will leave the beat up alone, I think it gives her some character lol. the muffler thing didn't happen until I slowed down to land but some thread lock will fix that. I wouldn't mind prettying up the wing some but for now it will work until I get some of the correct covering for it.
    Lower, Lower, Ah Damnit
    Ed P-40 Brotherhood # 61

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ed:
    Glad you got it fixed!
    Bring it to the meeting tommorow night.
    Then you can join the club too!

PS:
    Another reason to have another set of eyes on a new plane to check controls.
    BUT IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMA 5288
    IMAC 3721
    IMAA 24878

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Roger,
    I might bring it out tomorrow it depends on where I'm at with the P-47. I was thinking about bringing it out and maybe the baby p-47. Today the kid is at daycare so the plan is to get some more work done on the big plane. Get all the electronics and retracts in, basically get it as done as I can so all that is left is to do the canopy switch.
    Lower, Lower, Ah Damnit
    Ed P-40 Brotherhood # 61

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678