Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Byron/Iron Bay F4U Corsair build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Byron/Iron Bay F4U Corsair build

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 01:49 PM
alanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the rub, to get a decent amount of anything in the stab/fuzz join, it will have to be very thin, both stabs are loose on this junction, but i think the carbon spar, or whatever it is at the rear, is holding the stabs in place,
To remove the stabs, i feel will do great damage, so, with the carbon tube being there, and what looks like a front incidence peg, its going to be warmed wing skin epoxy, this should thin it out, and get it into the very slim, less than a balsa knife blade gap, then strap it up, until it sets, the main spar should carry the weight of flight, agreed gorilla foaming glue would be great, but he just cannot get it in there,
Old 05-08-2015, 01:51 PM
alanc

apologies, by the way, this threads been of great help, did not mean to hi jack it, Will takes some pictures of the old girl, when i get the chance
Old 05-19-2015, 04:42 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

alan , your fine glad we can help. i'm finishing up my corsair and i posted a balance question over on the corsair brotherhood thread asking if i should leave the gear up or down. top flight doesn't say in there manual either but hangar 9 says to leave them down . also i noticed that the TF corsair has a CG that's 3/4" further back than mine.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:08 AM
alanc

Balancing a corsair, or any other rearward retract bird, with the legs down, will make her tail heavy with dire results when retracted, Balance in flying attitude, Then, when the gear comes down, she will be nose heavy--ish, But this can be controlled, wheel her in, tail up, touch on three wheels, and you may get the corsair bounce,

Last edited by alanc; 05-25-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:29 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with AlanC, balance the corsair in flight mode. Being nose heavy in landing mode simplifies landing as you fly it in for a wheel landing. Smooth as silk every time!
Old 05-29-2015, 08:27 AM
warbird_1

ok , after 2 1/2 years i'm finally getting the corsair finished. i had a really strange situation that set me back a couple of weeks. i had used black nylon hinges for the gear doors. while i was doing some final tightening and putting loctite on the gear door screws something weird happened... the loctite must have reacted to the hinges as the door side of hinge , after being exposed to the loctite ,disintegrated. i could literally crumble the end of the hinge in my fingers . i have heard of servo problems that had plastic output shafts doing that. so i bought some aluminum robart hinges and fixed it. what a pain. so anyways . i have the graphics on and hope to fly it in the nest 2-3 weeks. i had a balance concern as to whether to put the gear up or down during balancing. because the stock byron tires are so light , i got away with leaving them down on my first corsair . but now that this bird has robart wheels they weigh about 8.4 oz. per tire. that's over a pound moving back 7-8 inchs. i'll post post flight results. thanks to all that offered input into the build. WB_1

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00398.JPG
Views:	764
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	2099368   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150525_195427.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	728.4 KB
ID:	2099376  

Last edited by warbird_1; 05-29-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:48 AM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Ron,
Beautiful job as usual, but I still see a major problem. Please consider this before you fly. This should stay with me, you know eventually it will come down to RI. LOL Good luck with the test flight, if it flies anything like the one I got from you a few years ago you will have a winner.
Thanks,
Fred
Old 05-29-2015, 09:33 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Check6
Hi Ron,
Beautiful job as usual, but I still see a major problem. Please consider this before you fly. This should stay with me, you know eventually it will come down to RI. LOL Good luck with the test flight, if it flies anything like the one I got from you a few years ago you will have a winner.
Thanks,
Fred
Fred, .......for enough money , everything has a price
Old 05-29-2015, 09:42 AM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by warbird_1
Fred, .......for enough money , everything has a price
Ron,
who said anything about money. Consider it an honor that I would fly your plane!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:05 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Check6
Ron,
who said anything about money. Consider it an honor that I would fly your plane!!!
Top Gun Quote .... Your Ego is writing checks your body can't cash LOL
Old 05-29-2015, 12:01 PM
alanc

As a matter of interest, how have you mounted your tailplanes.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:42 PM
warbird_1

done at last

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUwsgjQJ0n8
Old 06-04-2015, 10:07 AM
rcten

Just a suggestion, low wing aircraft are better balanced inverted so the top heavy condition doesn't interfere with the balancing.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:18 PM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks Good Ron

I looked thru my old Byron manual, it also says 5" from LE at fuse, and hang it, No mention of gear up or down. Might be worth a double-check using one of the on line CG calculators. With a big shift, I target 25% MAC gear down, not to exceed 33% gear up. If shift is more than that, I move it fwd
http://www.willingtons.com/aircraft_...vity_calcu.htm

Good luck with the Maiden!

An example of a "real" CG shift. I had it hanging to check CG, and decided to shoot a video of the gear swing. It is a little meaningless, but it does visualize how dramatic the shift can be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_43bWt1SsqY

Name:	scan0032.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2100475   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0033.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2100476  
Old 06-04-2015, 09:12 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by 70 ragtop
Looks Good Ron

I looked thru my old Byron manual, it also says 5" from LE at fuse, and hang it, No mention of gear up or down. Might be worth a double-check using one of the on line CG calculators. With a big shift, I target 25% MAC gear down, not to exceed 33% gear up. If shift is more than that, I move it fwd

An example of a "real" CG shift. I had it hanging to check CG, and decided to shoot a video of the gear swing. It is a little meaningless, but it does visualize how dramatic the shift can be

70 , that's good to know . I wonder why they would give you a balance point to use when they already provided you with balance points on the fuse to use... and they are 5/16's further back than what the book says. very confusing.

Last edited by warbird_1; 06-04-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:00 AM
warbird_1

ragtop... thanks for making me paranoid lol! i moved the CG forward to 5" . i was trying to save all the weight i could but i don't think losing the plane is worth it. it's comes in right about 30 lbs. RTF - fuel .
Old 06-05-2015, 07:05 AM
warbird_1

Has anyone tried this method of weighing your plane? i put a small digital scale under each of the three points of the landing gear. i measured the weight at each wheel... added them up and i'll be darn if it didn't come out to 30 lbs.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:42 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Has anyone tried this method of weighing your plane? i put a small digital scale under each of the three points of the landing gear. i measured the weight at each wheel... added them up and i'll be darn if it didn't come out to 30 lbs.
Xicoy sells a digital balance/CG meter that uses 3 small scales and a control unit, same as you described.
Enter the information and it tells you how much weight to add where in order to achieve the desired CG
(and the unit can be expanded to allow for digital measurement of control throws as well)
Old 09-10-2015, 11:46 AM
alanc

Just to let you guys know what happened with the errant tailplane, twin spars were cut in from underneath, the cut did not go through the top skin, tapered spars were fitted, tapered to dissapate the stress down the taper, on longer than the other, so there is no actual one shear point, the stabs were simply glued to the fuselage with cyno, and a fine long dropper, to get the cyno in, there was some thought given to if the cyno would afect the foam, having another kit handy alaid these fears, the models flown extensively now, and is superb, stupid design flaw, that apears to have killed quite a few of these superb models, many thanks to you guys for your help, much apreciated,
Old 09-30-2015, 04:37 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by 70 ragtop
Looks Good Ron

ragtop .. i think that p-38 should come home with me :-)
Old 09-30-2015, 04:42 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by alanc
Just to let you guys know what happened with the errant tailplane, twin spars were cut in from underneath, the cut did not go through the top skin, tapered spars were fitted, tapered to dissapate the stress down the taper, on longer than the other, so there is no actual one shear point, the stabs were simply glued to the fuselage with cyno, and a fine long dropper, to get the cyno in, there was some thought given to if the cyno would afect the foam, having another kit handy alaid these fears, the models flown extensively now, and is superb, stupid design flaw, that apears to have killed quite a few of these superb models, many thanks to you guys for your help, much apreciated,
glad you were able to do the mod. hope she flys great.. mine had a great first flight. it was much less scarier than i thought it would be. lol

Name:	Sept 11 2015 Rons Corsair 001.JPG
Views:	476
Size:	565.9 KB
ID:	2122930   Click image for larger version

Name:	corsair.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2122931  
Old 05-22-2019, 01:13 AM
FERREYES

Default You tube vídeos manden by Warbird 1

ragtop .. i think that p-38 should come home with me :-)
Hi how aré you, I'm from México and I look all your construction of these model, it was and great. I need a favor: I have these model too, but is very bad construction of please send to my e-mail adress the vídeos that you made, I can't see anybody, my interestin is in the Doors of landing gear. Thanks my friend you make a great Job.
my email are: [email protected]