Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Seagull Dewoitine 1.20 ARF ????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Seagull Dewoitine 1.20 ARF ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Seagull Dewoitine 1.20 ARF ????

guys, I don't know much about flying weigh vs wing loading so I ask, do you think my Magnum 180 4Stroker is to heavy for this Dewoitine ??
BTW, I could put better/stronger retracts in it.

the Magnum 180 weight with Muffler is: 38.9oz, that is only 8oz more than their 120 4Stroker

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...20-arf-SEA2580

Wingspan: 71.0 in (180.0 cm)
Wing Area: 764.0 sq in (49.3 sq dm)
Wing Loading: 30.5 - 33.2 oz/sq ft
Flying Weight: 10.1-11.0 lb (4.6-5.0 kg)

thanks guys !!
Jim
Old 12-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Dash7ATP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Dewoitine 1.20 ARF ????

I'm thinking the 1.20 should be plenty of power.  8 oz is a lot of weight that far forward, and might require wenght in the rear to balance for good flying. Extra weight is almost never your friend. 

I have a 1.20 in a similar sized P-40 with a fiberglass fuselage that is probably heavier than what this will weigh and it flies very well.  Of course this is just my opinion. There will be plenty of guys here who want as much power up front as they can squeeze in. They may be faster, but they also land harder, anad stall quicker. This usually leads to a much shorter life...............

Dash
Old 12-20-2012, 08:45 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Dewoitine 1.20 ARF ????

Jim, war birds are notorious for being tail heavy. If that is the case with this one your extra wt in the nose will be needed. If it were me I would go bigger knowing that it takes ioz in the tail to = 4oz in the nose.

As for the stock retracts in any 60 size or larger war bird arf I have a box full of them. They work great on 40 size models if you have enough room.

Wt is not a problem if you land like the full size, 45 degrees of flap, carry throttle , keep a close to 0 AoA, use throttle to increase or decrease sink rate. If you don’t understand any of this stuff, you need to find someone who does to teach you. And you are not ready for this plane, you want a 750 sq. in wing that wt 8.5 to 9# and has flaps to learn on.

Joe