Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

.60 size retracts: Are they real or just a myth?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

.60 size retracts: Are they real or just a myth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: .60 size retracts: Are they real or just a myth?

Go with the Sierras. Ihad the wingspans and sent them back, very sloppy, have 2 pairs of robartsand they are very weak also and if you fly on grass witj a 10lb plane they will fold or twist up on you on anything less than a perfect landing. Lado's are great but then you pay $45 for shipping. This was the reason I didn't buy the Corsair and bought a Mustang instead when Tower had them on sale.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:11 PM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the info. RB!  If I can get what I need for 400.00 or less I will go with the Sierras.  I do fly off of a grass runway and it would be worth an extra 50 or 100 to not have the aggrevation of problamatic retracts.

Mike
Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 PM
CHARLES WINTER

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Mike - I go to the Flying field to FLY (not work or worry) I go to Major Fly-Ins to FLY (and not to worry about equipment) My F7F weighs 32 LBS and has a very high wing loading and my Sierra Retracts can handle the weight with no problem. Sierra retracts are "Over built". No cheap short cuts in manufacture. Your choice but don't disregard Sierra Retracts. Tel 440-476-4885 Speak to Darrell. Col. Chuck Winter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76747.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	1835970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12278.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1835971  
Old 01-01-2013, 03:38 PM
mike1974

Thanks for the info. Col.!

I am not sure if you saw my previous post, but if I can get a set of Sierras and plumbing etc., for around 400.00 I am going to go with the Sierras. I really do not want to be messing with retracts all the time.

Thanks!!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:54 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Colonel Winter, did you take that picture? Great shot.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

I've just received these for my TF Corsair ARF... looks to be about the same size bird, and they are inexpensive...and in stock..!!

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...s/HAN2580.html

Old 01-01-2013, 03:56 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Look at the vqwarbirds website. They may have a Sierra set in stock, that will work. I have had good luck with my Robart gear, but I do not have rotating. Robart does have a spring down series. It has saved me many times.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:58 PM
mike1974

Thanks Prop Washer, I will check these out!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:07 PM
mike1974

Nice one Vertical!  It appears they have all the Sierra stuff I need!

Mike
Old 01-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: da Rock

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich
I've owned .60 size rotating gear from both companies........... I'm not sure what your concerns are with Sierra but I have a set of their rotaters that will be going in my next Hellcat and they are far and away the best quality rotater currently available in my opinion. They can be purchased directly from Sierra. http://www.sierragiant.com/
Those 60size rotators look excellent in the pictures. They are $290 for a pair but that seems to be the price for just the machanics. They don't seem suited to electric retrofitting but then you can't see much in the pictures. What air setup do you plan to put into your next Hellcat and what do you figure the cost will be?

They may have to be what goes in my present Hellcat. It started life with Lados. Ground handling sucked bigtime. It got Wingspans. Those failed to operate. It got replacement/updated Wingspans and special battery setup. Same result. It got latest version updated Wingspans. They burned out. It's got Lados again but I'm about burned out and it just might never be flown again.

When you get around to that next Hellcat, it'd be great to see a thread about it's gear.
Da Rock, the price is for the mechanics as well as the struts. When you figure the cost or the Robart gear and add on a pair of Robart struts the price on the Sierras suddenly seems a bit more in line. They will never be as inexpensive as the Robart gear but, then again, they are a much better product. And I say that as someone who has had good luck with the Robart units. However, you only have to compare them side by side for a few seconds to realize that the Sierra gear are much more robust. As for the air system I have collected quite a few Robart air tanks, valves, and fittings over the years so that is what I will use. I bought a brand new Robart air system off of the classifieds here at RCU a couple of years back for something like $30. I didn't need it at the time but I had the money in my pocket and knew it would come in handy eventually! They normally sell for around $65-70 through Tower. My Sierras will be going in the framed up Hellcat seen below which I'm trying desperately to get back to work on! When I do my progress will be posted to this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9187106/tm.htm

PS - The red Hellcat in the pic is equipped with the Robart gear, weighs almost 12 pounds, and has been through a couple of dozen trouble free flights to this point. (Including getting sideways on landing a time or two!) As I noted previously though I only fly off of smooth, paved surfaces.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to let you know, I have three sets of CJ Rotating retracts. One set in a Top Flight kit built P-40, another was in a H9 Hellcat until I totalled it being stupid, and another in a BH P-40C. They do get loose. I replaced all the rivets with 4mm machine screws and lock nuts. That mostly solved the problem. Other problem was the springs which rotate the gear are some what weak and gear would retract while not quite rotated. I used slightly larger springs which fixed that problem. Other problem is the 45 degree cut in the end plate of the gear which does part of the rotation. The steel rod that moves in this slot beats up and peens the aluminum plate causing play, especially if using a grass runway. Replacing this plate is part of annual maintaince. With the above mods and maintaince they work fine for years.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM
kochj

These Sierras look nice....
I do, however, wish it was electric.... and worked as it should...
The Robarts would be my pick, for cost reasons.... but I can say that I hate bent up and twisted gear...
If you placed some struts, would it take care of the problem? OR is the twisting in the frame?

1lb for just the Retract? not incluting the hoses ect....
That makes your 7.5lb plane a 8.5 lb plane....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35457.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1836048  
Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Life really does move in circles LOL.

I have been following some of the recent Corsair threads and was taken back 10 years here on RCU. While several of us were building the TF 60 size Corsair the same retract issues were chewed on . Chad will remember some of those threads. I went with the Century Jet retracts and shimmed them a hair to get the wheels a couple of degrees forward. They worked great.

Those ancient discussions lead to Sierra getting into the market for these gear and they are the top shelf choice for this plane with the least maintenance hazards over life of use. You get what you pay for and will be disappointed with the cheap budget options.

Do a good search dating back then and you will fine near gigabyte size info[X(] (Slight exaggeration)

Pete
Old 01-02-2013, 04:40 AM
mike1974

Thanks for all the information guys!!  I think I am going to try and get a set of Sierras from vqwarbards.  Between Robart, CJM and Sierra I am seeing less than a 100.00 difference.  The Robarts are 150.00 and struts 90.00 through tower; that's 240.00 compared to Sierras at 290.00.  I am willing to pay the extra 50.00 for Sierras and hopefully not have to mod or constantly tweak the gear.  The CJM are 276.00 through Tower, but out of stock and from what I can find, need a bit of maintenance and even some mods.  The CJM are the most cost effective as the 276.00 also includes all the plumbing as the Robarts and Sierras do not.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:28 AM
mike1974

Everyone,

Thank you very much for all your help!!! I spoke with Sierra and ordered the .60 Corsair retracts, Small air control system and Pressure gauge. Total was 395.00. I am happy to finally order some retracts and I am very excited to check these out. They look really well built! Thanks again for all the help!!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 AM
raptureboy

Are they in stock and did he say if they are a drop in fit? i want to get some for my TF p-40 arf but they look to be too big for the stock mounts.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 AM
mike1974

Hi RB,

He said they are in stock and would ship out tomorrow.  He said there will have to be a minor mod made to the spar to allow for the air cylinder.  I do not know if the ARF makes it harder to do the mod or not.  My F4U is a kit, so I still have the whole retract area opened up on mine.  You can always call and ask also.  Whoever I talked to this morning was very pleasant and helpful.  I believe I talked to Darrell.  Hope this helps! 
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 AM
raptureboy

Thanks Mike! Looks like I'll be giving him a call.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM
mike1974

Hi everyone,

I justed wanted to give you guys an update. I ordered the Sierras on Wednesday and they arrived today!!!!!! Cannot get any faster than that. Thanks Darell!!!

OK, these things are crazy!! There is a reason the gear alone weight 1lb. These things look indestructable! The only parts that are not some kind of metal are the air lines and the quick disconnects. Even the T fittings are brass! Everything looks VERY high quality! I hope they work as good as they look.

The complete kit, including the optional pressure gauge, was 400.00 shipped!! You just need some kind of pump. I am very happy and excited to try these out!

I hope this is helpful to anyone looking for retracts.

Mike
Old 01-05-2013, 05:13 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't somebody say the 60size Sierras were over a pound for the pair? not including the air components....

Is that true?

That's a lot for a 60 size model to lug around. The 2 systems I've used are around 10 ounces including Robart struts.

Hey, it is true according to the Sierra website.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 AM
mike1974

Hi Rock,

The Sierra landing gear do weigh 1lb. I look at it like this, another retract set will be around a1/2lb or maybe more. That means that by going with the heavier Sierras I am only adding a 1/2lb or less additional weight. There is a reason these things weigh 1lb. They are very well made! I am also putting a Saito FA-100 in my Corsair, so I am not worried about a 1/2lb more weight.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:57 PM
raptureboy

There does come a point though when your wing loading gets pretty high and then all kinds of troubles start. There has to be a tradeoff somewhere, more power is not always the solution to a heavy plane, unless you like landing at 60 mph all the timeThe sierra's are without ? the best but do they need to be so heavy for a plane that was designed for a 9-11lb AUW? Perhaps something between them and Robarts?? O.k all you engineer types the world is knocking at your door.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: raptureboy
O.k all you engineer types the world is knocking at your door.

cherp cherp cherp cherp (cricket's cherping)[:-][]
Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sierra has a very good design there - I took a hard look at them at the Toledo show when I was there and they have the gold standard in rotating retracts.
I'm a registered mechanical engineer - no other rotating retracts come close to their standard - so take your pick - some will do fine with other gear and are willing to fix them as needed. But for me if I had a plane with rotating retracts I would get Sierras for it.

Ed
Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 PM
mike1974

Hey RB,

Some good points that I neglected to think about! Still, I hope a 1/2lb does not make or break my plane. It is the only added weight from the stock kit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.