Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Need help with Corsair setup

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Need help with Corsair setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:35 PM
bonanzadrv
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Corsair setup

For the last several years I have been building large imac and turbine airplanes.... All have had 8711 and lion power systems...

I am now building a Top Flight GS Corsair and a Hanger Nine Super cub arf....

I have a Jr 12x and do like the Jr or spektrum equipment...

I am trying to avoid going way over board on these airplanes and am trying to figure out how to gear them up....

My plan was to just go with all recommended servos and stuff.

But....... the Hanger Nine Cub says to use Jr821 servos which from reading a few reviews should not be used for anything except as a paper weight....

The Corsair is setup for Futaba servos which I would rather not cut tabs off brand new servos....plus they show a non digital which I have not used for years...

I was looking very hard at the spektrum a6020 servos, but they have a tall top end and wont fit in the prebuilt servo hatches.....

I am not a big fan of Hitec servos.... Have had problems in the past...

Anyone know of a servo that is digital has good toruqe and speed and has a standard case thats not 100 bucks.

I would love to use a JR servo.....

Also to add to servo debate is what type of battery system... should I go ols school with a Nimah battery

Or go to a HV servo and run a Lipo?? I would rather not use a regulator....

Any input would be great.....

Just curious what you guys are doing???

Thanks
Bill
Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Need help with Corsair setup

I use LIFE 6.6 volt batteries and no regulator needed. I do use a diode to the ignition unit, however. TowerPro servos from Value Hobby and some of the mg digitals from Hobby King. A mix of Hitec and Airtronics servos are also used. So far, I have only had trouble with the Hitec 485, but no problems with the Hitec 645mg.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:55 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I've been having excellent luck with Savox servos (who makes the 6020 and 6030 incidentally)

+1 on the A123 packs, I get mine from WrongWayRC.com they are available in a variety configurations. He even sells the diode step downs.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 PM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

Not sure why the A6020 wouldn't fit. Doesn't look much different than the recommended Futaba S3305. 40x20x38 vs 41x20x39. I have a mix of Hitec hs615 on the flaps and hs645 for all the other control surfaces on my kit built GS Corsair, which hasn't flown yet..... If I was starting over I would probably go with HS5685 for control surfaces and HS5494 for accessories. Then run dual LIFE dual switch setup or LIPO. I have used HS 5625 and 5645 and 5945 without any problems on sport planes and warbirds. I know Hitec had a big problem with one of their high end big servos but I haven't had any problems. JR doesn't have any HV servos, or digital, servos much for that matter that are reasonably priced. Warbirds don't put very large demands on servos compared to big 3D planes they tend to have small surfaces and don't need to hold 45deg deflection. For the super cub I would run HS 5496s for HV or just use JR sport 126mg for a regular setup. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 PM
V2rider
My Feedback: (4)

Totally agree with lrb75 on the Warbirds not needing what you are used to un the IMAC and jets. Really don't need the speed of the digitals. I had a kit built TF corsair that came in around 35lbs dry and had Futaba 3305s all around. It flew just fine with those servos and when I replace the airframe with the ARF I will use them again. I'm building the TF 19 GS ARF at the moment and have decided on Hitec 645s for it at the moment. At least for most of the controls. I'm thinking of giving the HD 1501 MG servos from Troybuilt a try on the flaps and tail gear/ rudder though. Hard to beat the price for them that's for sure.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:12 PM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the LiFe, I run Airtronics digitals on 90" and 100" WS F4Us, run twin LiFe packs, each with its own chargejack switch either into the same receiver or dual receivers. I use NoBS packs from Hangtimes Hobbies.com.  Great FAQ there on LiFe packs btw. I use standard Airtronics  receivers, no regulators. If you feel more comfortable, The Smartfly Batshare by Quest Engineering will run twin battery packs for you, have not used them with LiFe packs but they run with 5 cell Nicads so should not be an issue.

Whit
Old 01-03-2013, 10:11 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did a Top Flight GS Corsair powered by a Saito 450r engine a few years back. I used Hitec 5645 servos on all control surfaces with a single 2300 mah A123/LIFE battery pack. This was a good combo for me with no problems.