Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

VQ .60 Hurricane Retract mechs

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

VQ .60 Hurricane Retract mechs

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VQ .60 Hurricane Retract mechs

Hey guys, I have a VQ .60 Hawker Hurricane that I a rough "off-field" landing with. The impact caused both retract cases to fracture and at this point in time, nobody offers replacements for that particular plane. I am confident that there is something out there that would be close fit if not a direct drop in replacement. VQ makes a few other mechanisms for their other offerings but I have not been able to locate any dimensions on those units. Do any of you guys have some information on anything that could lead me in a direction to getting a set that will be appropriate in my application?.. thanks for any help guys.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:43 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: VQ .60 Hurricane Retract mechs

See if Spring Air has anything that will fit. That air down function is a great safety factor. I have about six sets from them and they perform superbly. Dan.
www.retracts.com
Old 01-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Mk23socom

Sounds good Dan, I will keep it in mind. Right now I need to keep it simple with mechanical actuation like the old units.

I wonder if any of the units for their P-51 or Ki-61 would fit and work properly.. I took a junk mechanism from a H9 Spitty and it appeared to be the right size but i'm not 100%.. I tried to find those mechanisms at horizon but was not successful..
Old 01-05-2013, 02:12 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

I suggest you take out the old ones and measure the withe and length and find something like it at Hobbyking. They most likely may have something that will fit.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...-Retracts.html
Old 01-05-2013, 03:08 PM
mboland

The retract slots are a standard size and most mechanicals for that size bird will fit.

Spring Air IS a much better option, and they bolt right in, I have them in my VQ Hurricane.
I have about a dozen pairs in planes and would never use mechanicals again.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced the VQ retracts with Spring Airs and Robart struts. Also enlarged the wheel wells and used larger wheels which work better on our grass runway. Went through two sets of VQ retracts before I gave up on them. The Spring Airs work great. I get about six cycles out of the small air tank. I also raked the gear forward with a 1/8" plywood shim at rear mount of gear for better ground handling.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

How about a mechanical set from a Top Flite P47?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Mk23socom

ORIGINAL: irocbsa

How about a mechanical set from a Top Flite P47?
The VQ rails are too close together to allow a set of Robarts to fit.. Ihave a couple sets of those and tried to figure out a way to make them fit.. My old man had a set of scrapped H9 mechs from his Spitty and Iasked him to take measurements on those. They are an ideal fit.. He also is going to let me try a set of electrics from HK since they have the right dimensions also. Just a matter of making sure they work ok.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:43 PM
P-39 fan

Have you checked with Hobbypeople? They sell VQ planes and handle the retracts for various models.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Nitroplanes and get the large electric retracts. $8-$10.00. Cheap, no air lines/leaks, no hassles. Bolt in and plug into receiver. I have around 10 pairs of those. I have two of the .60 size VQ hurricanes because the model is a really good value for what it is.

Currently I have Rhomairs in my hurricane but am going to get rid of those. All my other style retracts will convert to electric were possible. Even working on converting my BVM F-16 to electric with the hardware off the electric retracts I have.

Steve
Old 01-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Mk23socom

ORIGINAL: P-39 fan

Have you checked with Hobbypeople? They sell VQ planes and handle the retracts for various models.
I did in fact do that. I purchased the plane there a number of years ago and they no longer offer the retracts mechanisms specific to that model. My dad dissected his HK electric units and repaired some damage while I did an oil change on my truck, we took some measurements and found that with just a minor amount of surgery on the rails and wells, the units should fit and seem to function fine. If they end up not working, I would like to keep electric units in them and will likely lean toward getting the economical offering from Nitroplanes that Steve suggested.. I found the Hurricane to be a great flying plane and even though its a smaller plane and I am looking to get away from the .60 size stuff, I have this one now and would like to extract as much enjoyment from it as Ican.. Thanks for the info guys, I will update this thread when the next stage of work is completed on it(i.e. installation and function checks)