Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Cessna L19 Bird Dog

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Cessna L19 Bird Dog

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:33 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris, Good job once again on the glider towing. Looks like fun. I still have not yet flown my little fax Bird Dog. I have taken it with me to the field three times, but twice it was way too windy for a maiden flight and last week I got rained out before it's turn came up. Oh well, all in due time. If you go back on the RCU photo gallery to the photos posted on 4-19-14, you can get a peak at my kit bash creation. My friend and fellow flyer "dirtrod" posted two photos from the first day it went to the field and didn't fly due to high winds. Not going to happen this weekend either as I will be test flying some large scale planes preparing for a "big bird" meet in two weeks. Gotta have patience.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Nodd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh wow, yeah that looks a whole lot like a Bird Dog. That's impressive that used to be some other plane, nice bashing. Yeah I agree, no rush on the maiden.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I finally got my little 54" semi scale Bird dog flown. Maidened it last Sunday and almost totaled it before it was 3 feet off the ground!! Not a lot of power with the O.S. 26 four stroke and I was taking off from thick but short grass at a sod farm.There was a light head wind coming straight at me so I elected to take off straight into the wind with the plane going directly away from me. Not ideal for estimating the takeoff speed but using the headwind to best advantage. At the sod farm we can takeoff any direction we want, not being limited by an established runway. When I lifted off with the help of a little elevator input the Bird Dog immediately rolled left dropping the left wing almost to the ground and the plane was wanting to stall at the same time! I was real busy with the sticks for a few seconds till I got the wings leveled and the climb rate reduced to level flight to build up more airspeed. Got it up to a comfortable altitude and trimmed her out. Quite a bit of down elevator and right aileron was required to get a straight and level flight. Once trimmed out it flew quite well and was even on the fast side with the little .26 four stroke just fine in the air. It looked great doing low passes and I soon forgot the near disastrous take off. Landing was a no damage nose over due to the thick grass and very small wheels. I called it a success, and brought the plane home in one piece to adjust the elevator and ailerons to match the trim positions with the trims centered (old school 4 ch non-computer TX). I redid the trims today and will fly it again next Sunday with a longer takeoff roll this time.

Last edited by 52larry52; 07-09-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Nodd

Congratulations Larry, glad to hear you got her flying. Also nice to hear you were able to save the botched takeoff. Sounds like you might have yourself a winner there.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:43 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,
I've followed this thread for a while, just wanted to say what a great plane you have there, loved to see if come together, and love the cover job on it as well. Not sure if you've ever flown in the Hartford area, but our club is having our annual electric fun fly, come up if you can.

http://www.flywfc.org/AMA_elec.php
Old 07-09-2014, 05:19 AM
Nodd

I attended a fun fly there a couple of years ago, great fun. I'll see if I can make it. Thanks
Old 07-09-2014, 05:24 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent, hope you can make it. We also have a Giant Scale IMAA event at the end of August, check back on the site for details.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:17 AM
rickman2k

Cool

Nice Bird ! One of my 1st builds as a kid was a control line bird
Old 06-08-2019, 11:06 AM
PedroM