Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Yellow Aircraft Spitfire Project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Moki 2.1
100.00%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

New Yellow Aircraft Spitfire Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Yellow Aircraft Spitfire Project

Hi Guys,

So, my new Spit kit will be here tomorrow! Inspired by the memories of my ill-fated first one, and having read the COMPLETE thread about four times through, I decided it's time for another. There are so many options and opinions out there, so I wanted to get your take on a few things. Everyone is welcome to add input, but I'm really hoping for input from guys who've built and flown this bird.

I'm planning to make a beef-up mod to the gear mounts, and will chronicle that as I do it. I have some plans for some other upgrades, but we'll see.

For now, I have a few engines in my garage and any of them will do the trick, but I wonder what your opinions are as to the best of the engines I have. I'm not wanting 'hot-rod' performance... scale performance is fine. I'm more concerned about overheating, longevity and reliability. While I appreciate other ideas, these are the engines I own and one of them is going in this baby. If you vote, please tell me why you chose what you chose.

Thanks in advance for your participation. Hopefully, we're not all tired of Spits!

Updated Photos:

These are pics of the engines in question, with a few shots showing relative sizes and dimensions:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80089.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1461702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10946.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1461703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25625.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1461704  
Old 07-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Shaun Evans

Default RE: New Yellow Aircraft Spitfire Project

Hmmm

Maybe everyone IS all Spitted out.... []
Old 07-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JUST home from work and NEVER tired of Spitfires.

I just voted for the Fuji 43 as I would love to see one of these in a Yellow Spitty. I think with the short head and longer crank (you will have to move or mod the wirewall it seems) it would be well hidden and be 'scale power' so to speak.

If I didnt get my 3W 55 and knew more about this engine I would be installing it.

Good luck with your choice.

Brad
Old 07-02-2010, 07:38 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be putting a Moki 3.6 twin in mine. Is it needed, NOOOO, is it wanted, YESSSS. Actually I am doing it for the sound. The Moki inlines fire twice every revolution, so it has a true multi cylinder sound.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:43 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

I do radials as I love the sound. That being the case I would look at the OS IL-300 inline 4. I don't like to see any motor parts hanging out and I don't do gas so from your list I would use the Moki. I had a great time using a Moki 1.8 years ago but know it is just 4 strokes, mostly radials.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:28 AM
G-Pete

My vote goes for the evo because it is an excellent engine and the customer service at Horizon is unbeatable. Plus this engine has a good safety feature - you can not start the engine by just turning the prop and this engine (even with the schuerle porting) does not run backwards. Perfect fit for narrow cowls

The G-38 and the Fuji have side carburetors - why in the world would you cut the nice cowl of a spit???? I know they are cheap - but you get the cheap performance and looks too!!

Name:	Mk25437.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1461975  
Old 07-02-2010, 12:21 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

With this plane, I would go 3w55i or the new OS55

Sean the engines you have listed are marginal except for the Moki 2.1. Unless you can get this spitty around 18lbs. Not that they wont fly it, its just so much wing area it will be slow.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Stuka Jon N
My Feedback: (33)

I have a Zenoah 45 in mine. Performs flawlessly. Speed is just right. Would probably try the Fuji 43. Stuka Jon
Old 07-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Thanks, FW. What would your choice be out of the engines I own (the ones listed in the poll)?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:40 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Evo 35, but you really need to make this spitty extremely light. I would put lots of lightning holes on the rudder, I believe it comes 1/16 ply.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi FW,

Thanks for the reply. I doubt I'll end up so light because I have a few bells and whistles in mind, but we'll see. I'm guessing on a 25 pound AUW. Speed is nice, but not at all a necessity for scale warbirds for me. I've got jets to satisfy that need. I've seen a few videos of this Spit with some of the less high-performance engines in my garage (the Fuji, for example) and was more than happy with the flight performance. My first Spitty had a Moki 1.8, and I was thrilled with the performance (though she had a very unfortunate end to a very short life), so I know the 2.1 will more than satisfy me, but I'm not sure about whether or not I want to deal with trying to cool it off (my 1.8 seemed very sensitive to overheating) and having gobs and gobs of oil all over the plane after each flight. Once the kit gets here, I'll fidget around with each engine in the nose and see which ones have too many appendages sticking out. Maybe that'll shave the choices down some...

Keep the comments and ideas coming!
Old 07-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Brad330l

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

My vote goes for the evo because it is an excellent engine and the customer service at Horizon is unbeatable. Plus this engine has a good safety feature - you can not start the engine by just turning the prop and this engine (even with the schuerle porting) does not run backwards. Perfect fit for narrow cowls

The G-38 and the Fuji have side carburetors - why in the world would you cut the nice cowl of a spit???? I know they are cheap - but you get the cheap performance and looks too!!
I think with the engine sitting so far back in the cowl very little of the carby would be sticking out and you would get to maintain the lines of the lower cowl and that is the part you see on flypasts.
Maybe the carb of the Evo would stick out of the front of the cowl.

Lets see what Y/A comes up with.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 07-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Shaun Evans

Hey,

Came home from work and the Big Brown Truck had stopped by! I know you guys have seen these all before, but it's still exciting when it's new!

I test-fit the spinner on the Moki. Man, that spinner dwarfs that thing!

Name:	Hf98667.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1462303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70487.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1462304   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45554.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1462305  
Old 07-03-2010, 01:01 AM
77chickenhawk

awww you know what i'm going to say Yellow.... you need to stick something in it that's going to swing a scale diameter prop...[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 07-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Yeah, what good's a scale sized prop when you've got engine sticking out everywhere?
Old 07-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

I just got my pilot figure today. I checked the mail and found, to my horror, that the postman put one of those "sorry we missed you" cards in my mailbox when I was in the shower. Of course, I jumped in my car and went hunting for him. I found him a few blocks away and got my pilot! It's a special G.I. Joe "Classic Collection" series WWII fighter pilot, about 12" tall. He's decked out in the khaki flight suit with the fur-lined collar, complete with helmet, goggles, oxygen mask, inflatable life vest and pistol. I'll post a pic later.

What's your pick for cockpits? DB?
Old 07-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

So, I think I'm down to the Moki 2.1 or the Evo 35. Both lend themselves well to in-cowl muffler systems, and they both hide well except for the top of the head poking out. No carbs sticking out at all. The others have carb protrusions if you don't use some kind of bend.

Does anyone have experience with the Evo's ability to run cool enough while cowled in?

Name:	Rp43643.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1462917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96555.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1462918  
Old 07-04-2010, 02:46 PM
77chickenhawk

Old 07-04-2010, 03:47 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Sean, if you make the ducting in the fuse as I explained before you shouldn't need to worry about cooling.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Brad330l

Sean, those pictures you show with the Evo, could you possibly do the same with the Fuji to show approximate positions?

Just as a comparison mate the ZDZ 40 that Leo has previously used in his Yellow Spitty and that he said flew it nicely (scale) was rated at 4.25 Hp and on the ZDZ site is recommended for 20Lb models that will achieve mild aerobatics. You will not get the Yellow Spitfire at 20Lb if you are going to put a few goodies on it.

The Evo 35 puts out less power at 4.1 Hp so if you are going to use it you'll have to make sure you model is on a very strict diet right from the start.

As foot note, Leo went from the ZDZ40 to a DA50. Not saying you guys want the same result from your models but he has been flying them successfully now for some time.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 07-04-2010, 08:42 PM
JET FX

I dont like bits hanging out the nose on my Spit's so the Moki gets my vote, that said Iam not fully satisfied with the 2.1's inverted reliability based on my own experiences. Moki has done a gas conversion for their 1.8 engine so Iam hanging out for the 2.1 gas conversion then I'll be sold on the enclosed Moki option for sure. The other option Iam considering would be the Satio 36cc or 220 four stroke, again bits hanging out though hmmmm.

One advantage of glow over gas is the cooler running temps in the enclosed cowl install. The Spit demands due consideration with air ducting in and out around cylinder head to keep openings at a minimum. Inlet duct fins to direct flow closely around head are critical (not just an opening) then also air exist volume needs to be at a 3:1 percentage ie. outlet 3 times size of inlet area. Considering hot air expands remember that and you need to remove it all. Open the exhaust stacks and add additional exit hole in cowl base underside and you should be fine....
Old 07-05-2010, 12:04 AM
modelflyer5

I have had an Evo 35 in a Mustang. At first I had heating issues. I did have the 3 to 1 ratio exhaust to inlet ratio as described above. The problem was with leaning out in the air. The carberator came out to be right in the middle of the inlet scoop. The air actually was sucking the fuel out of the opening causing it to run lean. The way to fix it, is to run a velocity stack on the carb. I guess that you should not run a Walbero carb in direct prop wash without a velocity stack. After I installed mine the engine ran very well. It was not a barn burner, but it did pull it very nicely. I think I ran an APC 18X10 prop on it. The plane ended up being about twenty pounds. I hope this helps.

Matt R
Old 07-05-2010, 08:34 AM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've started to collect some YA spitfire engine install photos on [link]http://spitfire9.com/yellowengine.htm[/link].

I plan on using a DL 50, it is what I have in a GP Patty Extra 300S to get broken in. I may swap out the 50with a DL55.

35cc may be short of power on a hot day.
cheers - ken
Old 07-05-2010, 08:48 AM
ccostant
My Feedback: (38)

If I were to build one then definitely a DA 50 or DLE 55. I've seen them fly with a G-38. It's okay but you will have absolutely nothing in reserve. And you'll have to keep it very light as others have stated. Keeping it ultra light is a pretty hard thing to do considering you'll wind up adding at least 2-3 lbs of lead in the nose just to balance it.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Thanks for the input guys. Keep it coming! Remember, though, I'm not shopping for engines. I'm going with one of the ones I have. I think I've eliminated the G-38.

Fortunately for me, I have a pretty "old school" notion of what 'marginal' means. The first one of these I ever saw fly was with a Super Tigre 2500. I was very impressed with the bird even though it was no speed demon. My warbirds don't need 1 to 1 thrust, so I'm quite OK with very good scale performance (which a lot of people refer to as "marginal.") My first Spitty had a Moki 1.8 and I was tickled pink with the flight performance. I think that with the exception of the G-38, any of the other 3 engines should be able to deliver at least comparable performance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.