Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hanger 9 60 size ME109F- FINALLY!!!

WOOP WOOP! Nice job Hangar 9! C'ant wait to get one and bash it!
    Thank you.

Andrew

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks David E. for clearing up the type of covering used. It's kinda hard to tell when you see it/feel it. On another note regarding the price discussion, I have waited a long time to see a nice .60 size "Gustav" kit or ARF. I don't believe TF ever did one and I have come close to buying a SkyShark kit several times, but those are pretty costly as well, currently $389.95 on the SkyShark website. Yikes, currently back ordered until next May anyway. So a nice .60 size Me-109 ARF from Hangar9 is a sorely welcome option indeed!

I have one of the original KMP Me-109E's (Saito 150) and while I do love that bigger size, sometimes you just want something a little more manageable to take out to the filed. The .60 size is a great way to go. Yep, I wish the price was closer to the Corsair or Spitfire,but for now I'm just happy to have the option.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You'll need to add gun blisters to the nose and wings to try and emulate a "Gustav" from the H9 Me-109F2, but totally feasible.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very true, I keep forgetting this one is an F. I just get over excited whenever I see that BIG Spinner! : )

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No worries...Im excited too!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, that big spinner is and always will be so cool. Expensive to replace, but sooo cool.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Corrections, a lot of mistakes are by the pilots especially when they go full throttle on on take off....BIGGEST MISTAKE! Ease up on the throttle and bring up up the tail very slowly, and a lot of rudder control and you'll be fine. I never ever had any problems with the 109. Just FYI! Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hellcat716

Have fun with the ground handling. The narrow gear makes it rerally tough. Better get wing tip skids before that first flight. I have had several of these type models and can tell you from first hand experience. Crosswind landings will be a nightmare. Have fun and good luck.
    Many Brit aerodromes were still just a big field and pilots took off and landed into the wind. Gadzooks , what a great idea....except as an air traffic controller I can tell you sooner or later somebody will meet somebody in the center. Ooooops. I put zipties on the lower tips of the wings on most of my R/Cs to save on pavement-rash. The 109 was a stubby sprattle-legged girl! wallace.tharp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

when and if the kit becomes available,I'll order the ME 109 thru my LHS..also get the 81 degrees electric retracts for the plane...will install a Aerovate 26cc engine for power....don't know when the kit will be available......Looking forward to building it.......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Noticed the same thing a number of you-tubes of 109s......

Pilot slams the throttle on takeoff. Left wingtip slaps the pavement. 109 luckily doesn't dig that wingtip in.

Amazing what sensible throttle control on takeoff can do, and how many modelers seem to have missed that idea.

I'm looking forward to a video of this 109 flying.
    Good flying wit ya today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: da Rock

Noticed the same thing a number of you-tubes of 109s......

Pilot slams the throttle on takeoff. Left wingtip slaps the pavement. 109 luckily doesn't dig that wingtip in.

Amazing what sensible throttle control on takeoff can do, and how many modelers seem to have missed that idea.

I'm looking forward to a video of this 109 flying.

#1 reason for tip stall and crash on take-off is exactly as you described. I've seen way too much of this over the years. The '109 is tricky on the ground regardless, so you must be smooth on the throttle and know how to use the rudder....

Good practice is to get on the simulator and try taxing around with the tail aloft for extended periods. An hour or so of that and you should be ready for anything this one throws at you...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Dave I still have my CMP new in box , New Spinner , Sierra Retracts !! too bad your not in the states , shipping would be easy !!!
    LDM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Bananas

when and if the kit becomes available,I'll order the ME 109 thru my LHS..also get the 81 degrees electric retracts for the plane...will install a Aerovate 26cc engine for power....don't know when the kit will be available......Looking forward to building it.......
    Jimmy, who maks the electric retracts and what do they go for? I want to do one with electric. I have owned a coupe fo FW-190s and I am looking forward to a 109. WWII Axix stories say that one of the greatest German Aces tried the FW-190 after many kills in the 109 and went back to the 109., obviously much older technology and less speed and power. My dad owned a 1938 1/1 Luscombe 8A, the fifth one ever built matter of factfor 32 years. It was a about as stubby narrow geared, nose high tail dragger as was ever put on wheels. One of the first airplanes with a monocock fuselage probably. Had disk brakes in 1938... AND a wicked reputation to this day as a groundloop waiting to happen. I few it about 30 hours and the only thing you had to do was same as all talies, keep up with the yaw and don't over correct, or do too much too late. Helps on takeoff as other said, to lift the tail slowly and then smoothly go to full power to minimise the "P-factor," (downward blade of prop displaceing much more air then the up blade. A little wind blasting on the rudder is a big help also. Many good taildragger R/C & full scale pilots make allmost exclusively "wheel landings." You see it on DC-3s often, same with most crop dusters. The idea her is you have the advantage of wind blasting over the rudder and elevator for good control until you slowdown and lower the tail for tailwheel control as the rudder becomes ineffective. Just saying, not sasying I can always do it on R/C. wallace.tharp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The retracts are e-flite 81 degree. Horizon recommends the scale oleo struts for the retracts, especially if flying from grass

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wallace.Tharp:..The retracts are listed for $159.99.....Hey Kahoq....Didn't know about the oleo struts...will order them also when I buy the retracts...Thanx for the info..................

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

EFLG509 is the retract set, these are supplied with wire struts for those not wishing to use the shock absorbing struts.

EFLG510109 is the Bf 109-specific strut set, you can see the angled axle. Axles and aluminum gear door mounts are supplied with these. These struts are available singly also.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Did Eflite ever change the design of these retracts? Otherwise they should be avoided. I have a set and they are junk. Just a word to the wise.
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have two of the 60-120 size e-flite retract sets and I personally havent had issues with them.

However, Vertical does bring up a good question for those wanting to use gas or glow. The set he had was installed in his PICA fw-190 d9 running a DLE20. This issue he encountered was the vibration from the gas motor kept causing some external switch point on the retract unit to constantly activate thus burning out the electric motors in the gear.
    Would be nice if someone from Horizon could reply to that question. Has there been a redesign or does the modeller need to make a bit more room around the retract unit so nothing can accidentally bump that switch thing?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One thing that many forget, is the ease at which these h9
    ARF,s go together. All the hardware is usable, and practically
    falls into place. The other 2 brands of 109s that have been
    Compared to the h9, are a much different story.
    Some of the ESM planes leave out things like engine thrust, fuel tank alignment
    And parts that don't even belong in the arf that was sent.
    You can spend a easy 50$ on hardware replacement as well.
    It adds up quickly .
    Balsa prices and wages in China have risen dramatically .
    It cost more to build and frame up a wooden fuse, than using fiberglass
    And cheap resin, in a mold.
    If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They want $90 for those struts! LOL. Are they made of gold?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: irocbsa

They want $90 for those struts! LOL. Are they made of gold?
    Your joking right? Im sure you're quite aware that a simple 3/8" diameter oleo strut from Robart costs $44 each and thats the smallest and most generic version.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I saw this one at the show in Ontario and was impressed.

I initially was surprised by the price tag displayed but thought it was reasonable after considering thenumber of control surfaces that have been provided,also includes spinner anda great set of wheels.Ibelieve I just picked up a hangar 9 sprinner for 39 usd at the local hobby shop.

I don't believe it was mentionedtheelectronics on this one is is easily accessed from the top, no more removing the wing to accessyour mainelectronics.

I am building a Spitfire now and have found the plane to be a great deal for the money.

Thanks Hangar 9/Horizon! (Note to staffers -Give a dirty look to the person in chargeof choosing the hues.)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since a gas engine vibration is a little too much for the electric retracts,how about installing a "Thunder Tiger 130 4 stroke engine" ??...any thoughs on this combo??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No, I'm not joking at all. When Magnum RC was still selling Lado struts, they were about $18 each. Hobby King has some very nice units for 60 sized planes for even cheaper.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Class_2pc.html

Maybe the special angle of the axles that the E-Flites come with would make it worth the cost, but it's just not worth it to me when you have to pay $160 + $90 = $270 for retracts that really aren't that robust. They need to work on the trunion design.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The ME-109 kit will be available in a couple of weeks......The electric retracts won't be available until the end of April...Don't know what engine to use yet...will wait until the kit arrives at the LHS and then decide.....BTW,have already ordered the oleo struts for the retracts...Will keep posted as to kit and other things for the plane...............

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast