Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 60 size ME109F- FINALLY!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hanger 9 60 size ME109F- FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 02:22 PM
Oosiksmith
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WWIIP38
Thanks for that link. I was hoping to get those Hangar 9 wheels for a CMP BF-109. I'm familiar with your input over on the CMP 109 thread. I have everything I need for the build except the gear and wheels. I think I am going to go with the KMP gear from SG and modify the wing to accommodate the longer legs. Since you've already built your CMP do you think the wheels you mentioned would fit? Also, are they wider than the William Bros Golden Age 3-3/4?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 04-10-2018, 08:43 PM
WWIIP38
My Feedback: (43)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Tim,
The width of these wheels isn't a problem but the diameter may be. While they could be made to work I probably wouldn't use any larger than 3-3/4". For better ground handling it is best to move the landing gear as far forward as possible. I personally wouldn't use William Bros Golden Age wheels. I had them on a .60 size sport plane once (where the wheels were vertical, not splayed like a '109.) I had problems with the tires coming off the rims, even after gluing them on. Also, the plastic is relatively soft. The area where the axle goes through the hub would wear quickly causing the wheels to get wobbly. Had to replace them several times.
Unfortunately, there aren't any good sources of WWII German aircraft wheels in the 3-4" size.

The CMP Bf-109 is a great flying plane but like all '109's take offs and landings are a bit tricky. One tip (from another RCU member) is to use half flaps on take off. This works great! Another tip is to feed in up elevator after landing, once the plane has slowed down. This keeps the tail planted and helps prevent nose overs. Some warbird pilots will use a gyro on the rudder if the plane has a problem with wanting to ground loop.
Good luck!
Post some pics when you get it done!
Dave
Old 04-10-2018, 09:32 PM
WWIIP38

Tim,
Also, I used a Du-Bro 957 tail wheel assembly. It looks perfect and works great. I got the spinner from Fliteskin. It's a perfect size (and shape) but does have to be cut for your prop and the back plate drilled and tapped for retaining screws (be careful, it's aluminum!).
Dave
Old 04-11-2018, 02:33 PM
Oosiksmith
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

Again, thanks for the info. I may have been one of the first people to buy that plane, but I never built it. I'm going to use it to teach my son to modify ARFs. We may even go all the way with it and glass the wing and do a repaint.

I have Ty's cockpit kit, replacement canopy, spinner with two domes (one for a 2 blade and one for 3 blade prop), and a BBI Ernst Wagner pilot. Ty is a great guy; when I told him what I was going to do with this plane I ended up getting the guns and loop antenna that he makes for the FW-190 as well. This hobby needs more guys like him that we can get parts from.

Since battery technology has improved since this plane was new I'm even kicking around the idea of going electric. Wheels have always been the sticking point though. I really, really wanted those Hangar 9 wheels. Boy, are they hard to find.

-Tim
Old 04-11-2018, 10:32 PM
WWIIP38

Tim,
That's very cool you are teaching your son the trade! If you decide to glass and paint and you want accurate colors, see if you can find a copy of 'The Monogram Painting Guide To German Aircraft 1939 - 1945' It's a great resource and has paint samples you can take to Home Depot and have color matched.

Used to build but anymore mainly modify ARF's.
Just finished an ESM P-51B and painted it in Maj. James Howard's Ding Hao! scheme.
I have purchased Ty's canopies and cockpit kits also. They're great, plus his instructional YouTube videos are really good.

Here's a picture In Model Airplane News of a '109 I built and painted in Erich Hartmann's black tulip scheme.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:01 PM
Katniss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting