Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

RBean,
Nice to see you finally got the beast in the air...Good for you ! Nice pictures too...sweet model for sure. I sold my ESM F6F Sierra retracts to Warhawk...so I am going to order the F6F with Sierra retracts too. I have looked at this model for a couple of years and just love the lines. At least they modeled the last issue of the F7F with the tall rudder...and longer wing. Its still a Grumman airframe...though not a Hellcat...but a close relative.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 01-12-2017, 09:19 AM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you are going with the F7F, great. Start a build thread on that one. I don't recall seeing one. Are you going to use DLE 20s?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:47 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dear RBean
Yes...I pulled the tigger on the F7F. I had saved the funds to buy a large scale F-82 Twin Mustang that Tomas was talking about...but I found out later it was on hold...so I used the funds for the F7F. Yes...I have a matched pair of DLE 20RA engines with one engine Counter Rotating already here in house. I ordered the F7F yesterday and sold my ESM Sierra F6F gear to another guy and shipped them out yesterday. So yes...I am going to put an F7F together and I ordered the full cockpit kit and Sierra retracts. I love Sierra retracts...best built pneumatic gear period (IMHO).

I am still flying a Grumman iron works airframe !

How is your F6F flying...?

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 02-24-2017, 07:10 PM
RBean

I've been out of town for a month then other matters to take care of. Finally got the Hellcat out to the field the other day. Three uneventful flights. All the take offs and maneuvers were ok and landings good. DLE started and ran great. Finally got this plane sorted out, I hope.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:18 PM
RBean

I've had another two month layoff from flying, but finally got the Hellcat out to the field the other day. The DLE 35RA started ok considering it hadn't run for two months. A little windy but take off was ok, maneuvers ok. Landing a little bouncy but not too bad. The next two flights were better as I got more current. We have a big fly Saturday. I'll take the Hellcat and my Zero.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2097.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2209583   Click image for larger version

Name:	A6M5.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	654.9 KB
ID:	2209584  
Old 04-21-2017, 06:15 PM
RBean

The field was so busy at the fly in that I didn't even fly. I got to fly the Hellcat on Monday. Got in two flights. The DLE 35 has two ground runs and 14 flights on it and seems to be breaking in ok. I tacked it with the 18-8 three blade Xoar prop at 7,050 rpm. So it has come up about a 100 rpm since new. The power is ok and the plane will do large loops without problems. The engine starts easy, has a good slow idle, good throttle response.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:58 PM
RBean

I'm still flying the Hellcat. Total of 30 flights on this bird so far. The DLE 35RA has run great. I broke the expensive Xoar three blade 18-8 WWII prop. Plane nosed over when I ran off the end of the runway. I had purchased an 18-8 three blade prop from Hobby King. Had to round off tips and paint black with yellow tips. The engine turned this one at 7,500 rpm. The plane seemed to have more thrust. Best part is this prop was only $20 instead of $77. So far no problems with this prop.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:03 PM
BJH424
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESM 72 " Hellcat Retracts

Anyone have a set of Sierra retracts for the Hellcat? Pm if you have a good working set available.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:01 PM
Skittercat

I am looking for the wing for the ESM 72" Hellcat. I need the whole wing but will buy any one of the three sections. Please PM me if you have any parts for this plane. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:27 PM
RBean

Not much going on with this thread. ESMs all discontinued. To bad. Not the best ARFs around, but can be made to work. Had the Hellcat out the other day. Plane is about three years old with 54 flights on her. First flight was ok. On next flight I landed just on the edge of the runway and hit an ant hill I hadn't seen. There was a low crack and plane flipped over. Broke the right gear mount. Didn't damage the robust Sierra gear. Had to open up wing and remove all the broken debris. Had to make a new gear mount out of 3/8" ply repair and re-skin the wing. Retracts seem to work ok on the ground. Took two half day sessions.

The DLE 35 is still starting and running great. Can't wait to fly her again, but high winds the next few days, then I have to leave town for a while.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:12 AM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by RBean
Not much going on with this thread. ESMs all discontinued. To bad. Not the best ARFs around, but can be made to work. Had the Hellcat out the other day. Plane is about three years old with 54 flights on her. First flight was ok. On next flight I landed just on the edge of the runway and hit an ant hill I hadn't seen. There was a low crack and plane flipped over. Broke the right gear mount. Didn't damage the robust Sierra gear. Had to open up wing and remove all the broken debris. Had to make a new gear mount out of 3/8" ply repair and re-skin the wing. Retracts seem to work ok on the ground. Took two half day sessions.

The DLE 35 is still starting and running great. Can't wait to fly her again, but high winds the next few days, then I have to leave town for a while.

Glad to hear folks are still flying , despite the ridiculous new rules . I have not flown fix wing in more than a year because I refuse to follow rules that makes no sense to me .