Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 04:29 PM
SkyPilot101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

I'm looking at the Twin 40cc RCGF,

Hey Bob, ValleyView is selling there own brand twin 40, might want to check it out. http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/v...as-engine.html

Slanted plugs to help with the width, Yes, I Want One!
Old 05-19-2013, 07:42 PM
BubbasanJohn

Looking good Bubba Bobby!  Im sure you will get the power plant sorted.  WEird that TBM would sell an engine like that as new.  Very strange.  Did they give a time that new units would be coming in?  Hope oyu wont have to wait too long. 

Man that Latex laid down really nice.  What did you thin it with?  Wont gas eat it up?  Great color match!   Will be looking real sharp with the graphics applied. 
Old 05-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay Bubba John,
I was surprised too, but I didn't see the repair until I mounted the engine. I've bought many things from TBM and I've always received very good service from them. I'm feel very good that this will be sorted out, with everybody happy. I have no idea when the next PTE 36's will be in stock, but I will ask them.

I thin the paint with "Distilled Water." The Davo "Regency" acrylic paint lays down better then any other water based paint I've ever used. I thinned it out 50% @ 25#'s pressure. I use a gravity flow type gun with the tank up top of the spray gun. I used less paint with this type spray gun and I just love the results.

By the way I managed to flow the second coat onto the fuselage and cowl this afternoon and its really nice looking. I will give it two day's dry time...then move on to the bottom color (a lighter blue). Last of course, will be the painting of the stencils. Now that is a fun job to do...so will the yellow on the cowl look great.

I am getting the wing ready for paint and I want it in the paint shop by mid week. I need to do some clean up in the retract area yet...and that will be tomorrow. I'll run the plumbing too, but other wise, I've taken all the servo's and control horns off the wing. I'll paint the wing this way too, then reassemble.

I may fly Tue. and Thursday this week...if the weather holds.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-19-2013, 09:57 PM
BubbasanJohn

Bobby, great to hear the progress.  Wont gas eat up the latex paint? 
Old 05-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Bob Paris

Hay SkyPilot101,
I have no idea how this twin 40cc gas engine performs. This engine does have a smaller foot print then, the RCGF twin 40...but there is so many unknowns for me with this VVRC Twin 40. I've never read anything about it yet...but the price is under $400.00. That is attractive...but I need to know more about the engine.

I do know how the RCG/RCGF 20cc engine works...and its the best bang for the buck in the 20cc size. Its stronger then the DLE 20cc and I've seen both run close at hand. That RCG 40 twin, is just two 20cc cylinders mounted on one crank case and this twin 40 is strong and smooth.

The PTE 36cc single also has been well received, from all I've read-plus, I've seen one run at our field. This engine hand started so easily, it surprised me, and why I bought it, in the first place.

My next gas engine will be a 40cc twin for sure.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba John,
Nope...the gas will never eat up the paint...not never...because I over spray everything with oil based clear, after I'm finished with all the painting and detail work. This seals everything and no gas stained or damaged acrylic paint. The Davo "Regency" takes the clear coat with out any problems. It is important the under coated paint be dry, prior to laying on the clear coat. You can use any style clear coat you want...from Flat to Gloss...it does both quite well. Its my preference and I stumbled on to it by accident. I had used it on my home...and needed some white for my P-38 invasion stripes. So I tried it...and liked it so well, its all I now use. What is so neat about the paint...you can bring a paint chip of the color you want...say a Monokote Color...and its computer matched, perfectly. It lays down so smooth, it makes you look like you actually know what your doing. A small run...will smooth out to the point, you will hardly see it. Believe me...I know that one first hand.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-19-2013, 10:31 PM
BubbasanJohn

What Oil based clear do you use?  Assuming you do not dilute it.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba John,
I use what ever is top of the line...shaker can I can find. I've been using "DEFT" Defthane-Polyurethane, Clear Satin. I used this on my P-38 and it laid down perfectly onto the acrylic paint I use. I like to use Satin Clear over my colors. The paint has a tighter finish then flat, and almost as sooth as gloss. You will notice a slight change in color when you use it, so test it out first before you use it. The change in color is ok for me...for it darkens yellow just a touch and that is just one of the colors so far I've used it on. For some reason it didn't effect the blues I've used...and I've never used red yet. But white, olive green, black and blue colors are unaffected. Just the yellow color so far, that I know of.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba John,
I contacted TBM today by phone and I was instructed to return the engine and I will be given a full refund or sent a new engine. I opted for a new factory engine and I was told they are due in any day now. Bill told me that this has not been an isolated incident with the factory and that they have contacted the factory about this. TBM was not notified of the repaired new units sold to them and that TBM now is fully aware of the problem.

I mailed in to Sierra the cheque' for the shipping of my retracts...along with my PTE engine to TBM.

There is a lot of cosmetic work to do on the wing...and full into it now. I will be painting it this week...

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-20-2013, 04:13 PM
BubbasanJohn

I knew TBM would come thru.  Awesome service.  Now their shipping is something else....PRICY!!!    IMHO, worth the service when needed.  Cant wait to see the paint.  I am ordering some graphics for my hellcat from Vikki too!  can hardly wait!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba John,
I worked on the wing all afternoon...and I still have some finishing work to do...but its close. I ended up removing the Star and Bar insignia some one put on, for it was to small and in the wrong place. It did came up with a gentle pull and that was a sweet surprise. I ended up removing the servo's and control horns too, so everything will look fresh and new. I will be installing new Robart 3/4" control horns after I paint wing, with 440 push rods to the servo's. The retracts are fit...and I'll run the plumbing for them, after I paint the wing. I will paint the bottom of the wing first...and paint the under belly of the fuselage, at the same time...tomorrow. If the weather holds, I'll get the second coat on too. Once I have the fuse painted...I can get to work on installing the radio gear and dialing in the Tx. The wing will take a couple of day's to dry and I still have to paint the top of the wing. I can't wait for Vikie to send me my stencils and dry transfers, so I can finish the painting.

I left the engine stand-offs on the model. I had ordered two sets of stand offs when I bought the engine from TBM. I just gave them the second new set of stand-offs and kept the old ones on the model...its a real easy engine install now. Your right, TBM are some good folks. By the way...that engine came with free delivery.

More pictures tomorrow,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-20-2013, 10:32 PM
BubbasanJohn

Alright, getting there.  Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba John,
I managed to get the wing and bottom of the fuselage first coat on today. I had to wait until the sum popped out...but late this afternoon I had no more reasons to delay the enviable...and got the job done. I will do the second coat tomorrow and then I will need to let the paint dry for a couple of day's.

Tomorrow I will charge up P-51B and to fly on Thursday.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94995.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1884148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64099.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1884149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66757.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1884150  
Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 PM
BubbasanJohn

Lookig real nice Bobby! 
Old 05-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba John,
I did manage to get a light second coat on early this morning and happy with the results. Early tomorrow morning I'll lay the clear satin urethane on and then, I'm going flying.

I am going to fly my big P-51B-a Top Flight "B" conversion kit, on a Nitro Planes .60~.90 size P-51D. A Super Tiger G90 really makes this model haul butt and a great vertical too. It has a set of Lado's installed, with Robart struts and wheels + a Robart installed retractable tail wheel.

I also worked on the gear doors and I needed to apply a coat of fiberglass resin on the underside. My gear doors were in poor shape and I pray this beefs them up a bit and gets the curve out of them. The gear doors need to lay flat and mine didn't...they were cracked and would not sit flat.

I will need to paint the top part of the wing next...and clear coat the model. When Vikei's stencils come in...I'll finish the detail work. Until I get the stencils, I'll finish as much as I can with the painting, then install the electronics. The electronics will take a couple of day's all by itself, not counting the engine...and I will need to get everything working properly. Its one bit of work that I've learned, one you can't rush.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Name:	Fd93018.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1884423  
Old 05-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba John,
I managed to get the main wing bottom sprayed with clear satin, as well as the bottom of the fuselage. I pulled the tape off of the wing and bottom of the fuselage and found I need to do a bit of touch up on the fuse dark blue. The touch up went great and I will spray the clear satin on the fuselage tomorrow morning. The cowl got its first coat of yellow...and I'll paint the second coat on tomorrow. I need to makes sure the paint is good and dry before I spray on the clear coat.

No stencils from Vikie yet...but they are due in any day now.

I went out and flew with a several guys in the club. All brought bi-planes...me too...my Fox .50 powered Ugly Stick bi-plane. My P-51B flew too and a rock solid flying model. Its really light for its size, less then 7# with a G90 up front.

UPDATE...I managed to finish the cowl and the fuse is now 100% clear coated. Sweet... : ) The bottom of the wing is taped and covered..ready for the dark blue on top. The fuselage will need all day tomorrow to dry and I'll paint the wing tomorrow afternoon.

Our flying field is closed until Sunday. So I'll get the supports made for the Pneumatics and get things ready to install the landing gear, into the wing.

Great...we have another F6F on the building board... : )

Soft Landing Always,
Bobby of Maui

Name:	Db85127.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1884639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85731.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1884640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91565.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1884641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur51989.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1884642  
Old 05-23-2013, 04:09 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I finally got home the other day and unpacked the Hellcat and started assembly. Didn't get far before I discovered the servo mounting trays for the ailerons and flaps are missing. I e-mailed Thomas at VQ to see if he could send them. If not I can make my own. No big deal, just irritating. I'm considering altering the flaps, using robart hinges with the pivit point below the flaps so they move to the rear and down for Fowler flaps, but I have to radius the top front of the flaps and install a thin extension on the top rear of the wing. Don't know the construction of the flaps and not sure I want to get into this. The G-38 will just fit.

Bob, you paint job is looking great and the yellow nose will certainly make the plane more visible.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:01 PM
BubbasanJohn

RBean,
Glad to hear you are on the move with the hellcat.  Will be super interested in any modes that you make.

Bobby,
Looking good!!!  Glad to hear you had a nice day flying.  Im heading out for a weekend of nothing but RC flight!!!  YESSS!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba John,
I managed to get the cowl clear coated, as well as the top of the wing-accept for insignia, the wings are painted. Things need to dry a bit...and Then I will begin to install all the systems. I did install the cowl onto the fuse, the three on/off battery switches and the air tank fill nozzle, onto the sides of the airframe. All that was for troop moral...I also installed the Tx operated on/off unit, for the PTE 36-with light and the pneumatic pressure gauge, into the pilot compartment. I then screwed on the canopy and took a few pictures.

I can't wait to get my decals and stencils from Vikei...and get the finish detail work done.

I'm unable to up load pictures to RCUniverse tonight...maybe tomorrow.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-24-2013, 09:27 PM
BubbasanJohn

Thanks for the upate.  Im waiting on Vicki too.  Looing forward to pics when you are able.  Any word on the engine from TBM and its arrival?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba John,
No word from TBM on my PTE 36cc engine yet...but I've a lot of work to do, so no real need right now.

Still unable to up load pictures.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Old 05-26-2013, 09:01 AM
SkyPilot101

RBean, wonder if you could give me your impressions on your new Hellcat? I've been eyeing this thread and am getting hooked on the thoughts of getting one. This would be my first composite & first larger warbird. Much has been said about the poor quality of ESM, and am wondering if they have improved any as of late. Concerned about the major items, fiberglass quality, incidences, ect. Thanks for any input, Mike
Old 05-26-2013, 10:25 AM
BubbasanJohn

ORIGINAL: SkyPilot101

RBean, wonder if you could give me your impressions on your new Hellcat? I've been eyeing this thread and am getting hooked on the thoughts of getting one. This would be my first composite & first larger warbird. Much has been said about the poor quality of ESM, and am wondering if they have improved any as of late. Concerned about the major items, fiberglass quality, incidences, ect. Thanks for any input, Mike
while I am not RBean, let me chime in and you can take it for what it is worth. I found the ESM kit to be well made. Fiberglass of very nice work. Cowel and fuse were excellent in workmanship amd thickness. I did replace some hardware such as the pull pull cables as the Chinese kit supplied hardware was poor. Set up according to plans with a more forward cg this plane is a great flying warbirds.

I certainly would not hesitate to purchase an ESM kit in the future. For all I have found and seen they are well made and great flying planes. Like all ARFs you will need to check them.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Bob Paris

Hay SkyPilot101,
I agree with Bubba John, the basic fiberglass construction is done nicely. I would toss out the hardware, especially the Pull/Pull cables and go with what you know works best...the kit supplied hardware is not up to the job. The fit and finish of the flight controls could use a bit more attention to detail, but I left mine as they came with the kit. I also agree that you may want to move your CG from the 117mm called out in the instruction sheet to 110~113mm placement. I'm going with the 113mm CG placement @ the joint where the outboard wing panel meet the center wing panel. I too would not hesitate to recommend the ESM kits and understand, as ARF models, the ESM kits take a bit more work then your standard Great Planes ARF's.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Neo gold

Hey Guys....i have this great flying esm bird...i went with the original airup/down retracts & have had no problems so far~ over two yrs now!.
Originally i had a CCRPRO 26cc in there...swinging a 16x8 prop...
But i wanted a better more scale sounding/flying plane, so out came the gas engine & in went an SC180 Fourstroke, its swinging an 18x8 prop & is giving bags more torque...sounds great.
Just remember to balance with the wheels up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.