Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

esm vs Wingspan vs Down & Locked ?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

esm vs Wingspan vs Down & Locked ?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:34 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default esm vs Wingspan vs Down & Locked ?

Anyone do a comparion on the three brands ?
1)ESM is on version three of eletric retracts, seem complete in purchase but now on version three?
2)Down and locked , expensive and I dont see many reviews ?
3)wingspan , reasonable cost , but very few online reviews ?
I know the rotating gear is still questionable but what about standard 85 degree gear ?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 AM
crispybrian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: esm vs Wingspan vs Down & Locked ?

Add one more to your list. I just received my Lado electric retracts yesterday after waiting about 8 days. And they were shipped from France.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LDM I have the standard 85 degree WingSpan retracts on a 16 lb CMP Zero. Had to send back the original pair, but now over 50 flights on the replacements with no problems so far. They work right every time (so far).
Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

LDM ,
I have some experience with the ESM electric gear and with the Down and Locked conversion
First the Down and Locked are converions only - You send them your gear and they convert them to electric actuators with control module (can be programed for speed and delay as well as other functions by Down and Locked ). I have had them convert some Robart gear sets for me and have had no issues . Robart now sells electric retracts that are using Down and Locked technology.
The ESM gear are indeed much less expensive and have been problematic . I have had 2 sets of the generation 2 ESM gear repaired and then replaced and replaced again with the generation 3 gear . TBM covered all repairs and replacements under warranty including upfiting to the generation 3 . I have had no problems at all with the generation 3 retracts and I am very pleased with them. I wouldn't waste my time with generation 1 or generation 2 they will fail .........
I have no experience with the Wingspan gear or the Lado.
If you have the pneumatic gear already but would like to electrify them I would go with the Down and Locked .
Old 01-29-2013, 04:05 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lado's have worked for me from day one (back when they originated out west). I got the first set back in 2007..?.. for my P47. Converted my Corsair (rotators) to them in 2008. Have them in my Spitfire and Hellcat. Never had any trouble.

I've had 2 sets of Wingspans. Never got any to work more than once. Sent both sets back for replacement. One set twice iirc. They're in a plastic bag on the shelf.

I've used EFlite retracts in my 50size H9 Corsair for some months now. The ground handling is excellent. They extend 100degrees, so the ground handling is to be expected.

No experience with any other electrics.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM
LDM

wow great info guys , really great .
I have used a ton of the eletrics in my smaller 60" and under and now its time to convert my glow planes over in both motor and retracts .
I have a 66" seafury with century jet gear and wingspan conversison would be more expensive then going with Sierra lol .
Great to know that Lado still prove worthy and that gen 3 from Troy built are working , the value looks realy good .
I am also going to get a quote from Down and Locked and see what they say .
I am sick of dealing with the air retracts , its just too finickey vs eletric .
In the 60 " and under its a totally differnat world of brands (9 lbs and under )
Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 PM
ascforithobbies
My Feedback: (1)

I have Byron P-51 Mustang with Byron gear and there no electric conversion for that so I tried a Hydraulic conversion from UMS and thus far no issues works very scale and added very little weight.

I have since bought the tricycle set for my Tigercat Im also going to try there brake system.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:03 AM
LDM

thanks Doug , I will also look into them !
down and locked responded on the conversion of my $249 dollar century jet gear , good news , its only $400
wow that was easy lol, so now onto esm , lado and the rest
Old 01-30-2013, 05:14 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What model are you shopping for? The Seafury?

Conversion? Wing have dihedral?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:26 AM
ascforithobbies

LDM If cost is a issue the hyd conversion is 120.00 USD and you dont have to change cylinder on the retract units very easy install.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Look at electron....they are absolutely bullet proof and work very well. Available through Dreamworks model products...i love mine
Old 01-30-2013, 04:19 PM
LDM

Doug , and Tom will look into both , never heard of eletron or dreamowrks ?
Doug , I like the idea of keeping the units the same ,I am going to that sight now .
Darock , the model is an old wills hobby seafury 66" model , an exact copy of the Top Flight in arf for with a cheap composite fuse that needs to be reinforced
Old 01-30-2013, 04:51 PM
wxman2
My Feedback: (52)

ORIGINAL: ascforithobbies

I have Byron P-51 Mustang with Byron gear and there no electric conversion for that soI tried a Hydraulic conversion from UMS and thus far no issues works very scale and added very little weight.

I have since bought the tricycle set for my Tigercat Im also going to try there brake system.

<style type="text/css"></style>

I would be very interested to know who else is using this Hydraulic UMS setup.

Ihad my ScaleWings 1:3.5 LA7 converted by Down & Locked (D&L) to electric and they do work well but have three other large Warbirds and the cost is going to be up there to have them all converted by D&L.

The Hydraulic system looks interesting if it is proven.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 PM
TTRotary

Spend some extra $$$ on Sierras and you'll never look back, especially if these are rotating. I have the Eflite electrics and they seem fine up to about 11-12lb. Beyond that, not so sure.The manyissues with ESM, Wingspans, and century jet would keep me away.

LDM - the WH Sea Furyshould come in light enough that the Eflites are fine.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:07 PM
wxman2
My Feedback: (52)

ORIGINAL: TTRotary

Spend some extra $$$ on Sierras and you'll never look back, especially if these are rotating. I have the Eflite electrics and they seem fine up to about 11-12lb. Beyond that, not so sure.The manyissues with ESM, Wingspans, and century jet would keep me away.

Already have the retracts for the CARFP47 and two Sist 1:4 FW190. In the big scheme of things the conversion by D&Lis just a drop in the bucket.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:37 PM
LDM

I have the sierra gear as well in my FW190 and P40 , its not about my current gear , its about not likeing air anymore !!
I am fortunite to make a good income but converting gear over for $400 is not practical , to me I would rather spend $4oo on sierra then invest $269 for the original CJ and 400 for a conversion , sorry but that is in the range of insanity for me .
This is not a Carf model or a top gun contender , so perhaps I am out of my league asking cost from Down and Locked , the economics dont make sence .
TT, I am not impressed with the Eflight , I disected there gear that is for the 45 and under size planes , noting more then the same one on Hobby King selling for $29 a set and Horsion wants $89 . One area I have a ton of experince on is the eletric gear under 60 size planes , know the brands , the pros and cons and for the money no one can beat the FMS retracts released for the 1700 mm corsair and P51 . $69 a set , if you have a plane in the 9 lbs and under they are great !!!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM
LDM

I forgot to ask , is the hydraulic set up the one sold by Hobby King ?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 PM
ascforithobbies

The one Hobby King is the same system from UMS the only thing you have to add is two  four ways T connector instead of the three way tee fitting that come with the kit  to use with a tri gear.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Electrons are.machined from.a.block of solid aluminum, ball bearings and such. Bullet proof!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:24 PM
TTRotary

ORIGINAL: LDM

TT, I am not impressed with the Eflight , I disected there gear that is for the 45 and under size planes , noting more then the same one on Hobby King selling for $29 a set and Horsion wants $89 . One area I have a ton of experince on is the eletric gear under 60 size planes , know the brands , the pros and cons and for the money no one can beat the FMS retracts released for the 1700 mm corsair and P51 . $69 a set , if you have a plane in the 9 lbs and under they are great !!!
Good to know LDM. Ihave 3 sets of the ".60-.120" stuff and it is a whole different animal construction-wise from the ".25-.46" plastic setI bought used (got an HK price for it!). The .60 stuff is all billet...very stout, and zero slop. Probably the toughest gear you can get in that size. The only weakness is price, and the use of a 5mm pin, which limits the upper level of the weight handling. There were some early issues with overheating and limit switches, but I think this has been addressed. Mine have been flawless so far.

I'm totally with you on prices of this stuff. Starts to look pretty kooky when the retracts cost more than the ARF. Then again, I'd rather be flying than cursing and fiddling and dreading every landing - because we all know the damn things have to come down sometime... :-O