Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

FW-190 D9, Skyshark 3 blade spinner? Or other brand replacement?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

FW-190 D9, Skyshark 3 blade spinner? Or other brand replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:45 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: FW-190 D9, Skyshark 3 blade spinner? Or other brand replacement?

The lack of appropriate spinner availability is completely tearing down the fabric of this modeling community! Sure would be nice if these companies would just create them and have them AVAILABLE for all of their models.
You will find another one, I am sure.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:01 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe the TBM spinners are something like 3.25" I read someplace. i think they get them from SD. Why ESM doesn't make scale spinners to go with their planes beats me - they missing out on series cash not doing this.

I don't have my plane yet, monday or tuesday I think. I like to get as much done ahead of time as possible, cuts down on delays waiting for parts. Unfortunately, I still haven't decided on the gear yet. As one of the people caught up in the ESM electric fiasco, I'm leary of them. Other options are costly, but I'm leaning towards some Sierras converted to electric by D&L. Then there is the tailwheel - have no idea on that one, except the stock tailwheel is ridiculous.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems the ESM electric gear has had it's share of problems. I have followed the subsequent version 1.5, version 2, version 3 drama of it all too For me, I was so very much looking forward to what electric retracts had to offer several seasons ago. I was also bitten by cheap electric gear parts that were not up to the task. For mid size models I have resorted to spending extra for Eflite units that work (the 90 size stuff). The 90 size e-retracts (quality units) works very well. For larger models, I still sometimes wonder if electric gear still has a bit more development to contend with. My turbine models have kept pneumatic gear still. I need air lines anyhow for brakes, so why change what already works with retracts. For my new builds, I'm looking closely at the "Down and Locked" modified setups but I'm still open to "quality" pneumatics for models over 25 pounds. I like Sierra stuff, I've owned their disc brakes in the past but I've found getting spare parts in an quick manner sometimes troublesome.

BTW if the SD (?) spinner for the ESM D9 is a 3.25" size, then that would be great. TBM, over the phone last month, said they were waiting on a huge order of spinners but had no idea what the stock would be or in what quantities.

Vertical, I think there have been hordes of zombies spotted escaping the spinner manufacturing companies instead of new deliveries of spinners! The horror! [X(]
Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 AM
vertical grimmace

I am sure whatever it is, it is a conspiracy! With the electric gear as well. Nobody seems to be able to get that right.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:17 AM
kahloq

The SD spinner is two blade only. It is 3" diameter with nice heavy backplate. I have that on my 71" fw-190A and the larger 4.5" on the fw-190 D9
http://www.sdshobby.com/3-cnc-alumin...ck-p-5653.html

The ESM 190A is on the left and the bigger D9 on the right
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48370.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1860343  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Eddie P

Then the spinner I called about and spoke with TBM about is not the SD spinner. The one I am interested in is a 3 blade spinner and is said to be in the 3.25" range but I could not get a specific measurement as they are apparently due in still via shipment. (shown below in the photo)

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...0-71SPB-3.html

It's pretty close to the same thing as the Skyshark D9 spinner we were talking about, at 3.3" and as shown in my initial post (the 2 bladed one at least)

http://www.skysharkrc.com/item/FW190...e-Spinners-101

Name:	Bz79164.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1861715  
Old 03-14-2013, 02:58 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

You know I really like TBM , but for good group of modeling guys they lack some common sence on basic questions . I have asked on that spinner months ago and other items as well .
My point is I dont understand why when placeing an order with a vender in China your not getting specs ? I mean exact specs ?
Trust me , my company is a large importer and if you dont know specs of every piece it can change your container load or any load based on the cube of the shipping case ect .
My point is , they are a great at servace , nice people and good quality , but they need more details on there site and they would as a result sell more product.
I stopped by at the WRAM show and not one thing on eletric retracts retracts , no kits ,ect just gas engine . Its ok , I am just saying good company but confusing business model from a person who would love to support them more with my business .
Old 03-14-2013, 07:22 AM
kahloq

Eddie...the spinner you're referring to is made by ESM
Old 03-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Eddie P

Well either I was very lucky or it was in fact fairly straight forward to balance the 2 blade Skyshark D9 spinner (albeit slightly fiddly). I followed the recommendations of Skyshark:

1) Used the Dubro balancer
2) Took some material off of the back plate with a grinder (little goes a long way)
3) Tried to take some material off the spinner cone inside but ended up having to add a LOT of electrical tape to the inner surface to balace the spinner cone. It was very much out of balance. (the wood blocks in the pic of the balancer were to mod the balancer to be wide enough to accept the spinner cone - otherwise it was slightly too narrow)
4) Followed up the electrical tape with some CA glue wicked into the edges. Should hold in place.. I hope

The spinner balanced REALLY WELL. I'm glad I went the extra mile to buy a DuBro balancer as I am super happy with the results. It did take some time but I have a good spinner and it's functional. Could not be happier with that big scale spinner now!! (some paint touch ups, details and weathering to go after the maiden flight).

Name:	Lj22548.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1862353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10452.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	1862354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20844.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1862355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31132.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1862356  
Old 03-15-2013, 05:06 PM
vertical grimmace

Looks like the cowl came loose at some point! lol
Old 03-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Eddie P

No, the cowl didn't come loose at all - that's just where I modded the cowl to look more correct. The stock cowl had a really rounded lip and the air opening was rather small. I think they did this so that a standard sport propeller would "look kinda right" on a rather small inlet and would not be swallowed up in a huge opening. On a sport scale model like this I would not normally bother but this one area surpassed my threshold of annoyance so the tools came out. To make it look more like a 152, I cut out about 1/2 inch of cowl material around the inner circumference and added a inner duct wall just like the 190/152 has. What you see now is primer over the material and filler. I've got it set up after the maiden to touch up the cowl and add the proper color of mottling and weathering. I won't bother until it flies and I can have fun with it first!

The cowl has been finished now though. Painted to match.

It's flown now and the Skyshark FW-190D9, 3.3" spinner is BUTTER smooth after balancing with a Dubro balancer. Thanks to Skyshark for encouraging me to try to balance it and the phone time - a great class act of a family company in my opinion. I had to use two small blocks of wood to widen out the metal stands to accommodate the size of the spinner to balance the spinner cone, as you can see in my previous post photo above this post. But it was very easy to do (just took a little bit of time). Well worth the effort.

Name:	Ki19679.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1862409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51924.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1862410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44296.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	187.1 KB