Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: HobbyKing 50cc Warbirds

For that 400 5cyl radial......you could fit that in the TF giant scale fw190a......or an ESM 85" Corsair.......might even fit in the HK at-6 80"....but not sure. There are several warbirds sold by esm that have a round cowl......including the LA-7, 80" zero......have a look on troybuiltmodels.com website.

I doubt it would fit the HK t-28

Thx for the link, K.

I'd love to be able to delve into a big Moki 400cc radial some day - but I think I'd have to sell my house first

That sound gives me goosebumps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPsHhWALh-w

BJ
    Ahhhh...I love the smell Kero in the mornings....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hell...Id love to be able to just get my hands on a 150 -215cc moki radial. Dont forget...horizon now sells some big radials with the evolution name on them. Their biggest is 260cc......but...all the evolution radials are Seidel brand just renamed. Good quality.....made in India, but designed in germany.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: warbirdfan2

I would love to go gas if someone could make an engine that sounds like the KOLM 2cyl that was affordable. I just can't stand the sound of a chainsaw buzzing around in the sky.[img][/img]
    Yep, we all have our likes and dislikes. I do not like the sound of electrics (or lack there of). Warbirds had engines, and they should sound powerful. I do not get that annoying 2 stroke sound. I think mine sound great. I think Kahloq would agree, he sees my stuff fly all of the time. Not to mention I feel electrics have a bunch of downside otherwise. But like I said, we all have our like and dislikes.
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well...at least THIS spitfire Im building(once it arrives) should make Vertical quite happy with a gas motor on it LOL!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is not about what makes me happy, it is about what makes YOU happy. In my dabllings with electrics, I get more bang for my buck and less headaches with engines. But I always loved the "engine"" aspect of this hobby anyway, being a control line, pylon racer and combat guy. I like to just gas and go. Not having to haul deep cycle marine batteries to the field or only get one flight because I only brought one charged pack from home.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know....was only joking with you anyways. I would though, like your assistance in getting the motor setup right and help learning how to get it tuned properly, etc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No problem, gas is a different beast than glow, but even easier once everything is in place. You just have to follow the same routine every time, and they will work every time. Unless of course, something is wrong! lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well the only spinner I could find thats the right size for the plane is an ESM 50cc spitfire one from troybuilt. However, the only one they had in stock was a black 3 blade version. So....Im going to have to use a 3 blade prop. In all honesty, I would have rather just used a 2 blade, but.....trying to find a 4.75" spinner is like next to impossible. I know the turnigy 50cc 5.5HP motor can turn a 20x10 easily enough as Fred has the exact same motor on his giant TF p-47. But since I have to use a 3 blade, Im thinking an 18x12 should work well, yes? The price of a graupner g-sonic 18x12 3 blade is $44.
    http://www.v-eastonline.com/products...x30-cm%29.html

The only other real option would be for me to use expensive 19x10 or 20x10 3 blade Beila, but, those are rather heavy props and Id lose some rpm as a result correct?

The reason Im thinking 18x12 3 blade is it would effectively be a 19x11 two blade as far as performance. Will have to see how well the turnigy 50cc performs first and would probably try to break in the motor using either a 20x8 or 20x10 two blade....with your help of course as I know squat about gas motors.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Really sucks on the Spinner. You are gonna lose a lot of performance going 3 blade. If it were me I would keep looking for a spinner if possible. Maybe a P51 style for one of the Gazillion arf's for that plane. Maybe search Tower?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

4.75" is a really suck dimension for a spinner. What is up with the spinner situation for all of these Arf's? They are "Unobtanium"! Yah, Troy built has stuff listed, but it is never in stock. If you can't get it, who cares if they list it? Really bad IMO that the ARF does not come with the spinner. That is the one serious drawback with ESM.
    I don't have any of these Arf's, but I want some 190 D 9 spinners for a current build. May have to figure out a way to make these myself too. I hate being a slave to what some manufacturer offers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AS far as the spitfire spinner...yeah pretty much out of luck....only so many options. The 3 blade was the ONLY size in stock thats the correct size. There are ZERO 4.75" p-51 style spinners otherwise I would have went that route. Yes...I could use a 4.5" P-51, but it wont be the right size.
    That doesnt mean I wont in the end do that, but, Im at least going to try to use the 3 blade and see what I can get performance wise.

Maybe eventually, troybuilt will get some more 2 blade versions in and if so...Ill get one and keep the 3 blade as a static display for use at WOTR.

But....I figure.....at least HAVING a spinner is better then not at all

Truturn does have a 4.75", but its fracking $120 so not doing that

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For your FW-190 d9 spinners, remember...sdshobbies has the 2 blade 4.5" black spiralsnauze that would fit for your ta-152 and they have the 3" size for your Pica/platt

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

4.75'' is a really suck dimension for a spinner...
    You may have already tried this, but have you thought of looking for the metric equivalent - 120mm - to the 4.75" problem?

I just did a quick Google search on "120mm spinner" and got a couple of hits eg:

http://www.carf-models.com/public_ca...=14&linkId=@14

Even a BF-109 flattened dome one:

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...odID=HAN278511

Maybe one of these would do the trick?

BJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BJ64

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

4.75'' is a really suck dimension for a spinner...
    You may have already tried this, but have you thought of looking for the metric equivalent - 120mm - to the 4.75'' problem?

I just did a quick Google search on ''120mm spinner'' and got a couple of hits eg:

http://www.carf-models.com/public_ca...=14&linkId=@14

Even a BF-109 flattened dome one:

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...odID=HAN278511

Maybe one of these would do the trick?

BJ
    The one from Hangar 9 is for the new 60 size ME-109. It is the wrong shape for a spitfire and it is made of nylon/plastic(metal backplate). It would blow apart on a 50cc gas motor. The listing for advantagehobby, rcslot and h9 webpages are all the same item. So those wont work. Thanks for trying tho On the carf-models website.....the 120mm spinners they show are way toooo pointy. Again....wont work at all. Sorry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anything else in 121mm or 120mm are all carbon fiber with carbonfiber backplate with no prop cutouts. I am not going to trust a spinner of questionable quality on a plane this big on a gas motor. If I were using electric, might try it, but not with big gasser.

Guess Im stuck using a 3 blade spinner as thats the ONLY one troybuilt(and anyone else) has in stock thats the right shape and size for the spitfire.

Got a lathe..??

BJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No.....while I have built a ton of planes and have an extraordinary amount of warbirds in my hangar, I do not have a dedicated shop nor specialized tools like a lathe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How did this post go so far off???
    I might as well add to the caos.....

I have 2 magnums .91 4-strokes....The carbs are very touchy when inverted. BOTH of the carb/intake were machined incorrectly...So much so that
    I had to place a spacer behind the carb to engine attachment point, so it would fit properly w/o leaking....

My OS engines have always ran like a clock.... I have had MANY kinds of rc engines. Planes, RC cars, Trucks, Buggies, Boats...ect.... and
    OS has been BY FAR the MOST reliable engines I have ever owned... LEGENDARY CARBS??? YEP....
    Those have always been made in Japan, and because our Dollar is tanked, and work outsourced, we have to pay to play.....

I have owned a Epson Artisan 800 until I found out that the Crooks at the Epson Foundry, had set up the PADS... (the fuzzy things that the ink goes onto for cleaning)
    so it would only let you print so many times, until it SHUT DOWN and blinked "Print Pads Full, Bring into AUTh. dealer to fix"
    I even downloaded a fix, so it would work again, it did 1-more print..and stopped working again..
    After numerous calls to Epson, (which was really a transferred call to INDIA, and I got to hear a woman and MAN try to make sense of our ENGLISH Language)

Other customers had the same thing happen, only a few of them (w/in 2 years of purchase) had a remanufactured one sent to them free...
    I owned mine for over 2 years so I was on my own.... I can't understand that part.... It would have been in there best interest, that they give me a new printer...
    The cartridges run 90$ for all the colors, and if you are out a PINK, you can't ever prink BLK/WHITE documents!!!!! SO you are FORCED to purchase MORE cartridges in order to use your printer...

After talking with the Indians, I was transferred back to AMERICA, so I could lodge a complaint with Epson....
    "I can't be the only one that complained about this"? Epson Techi "no , that is why we don't do that on our CURRENT printers"

It isn't about buying American, it is about Making AMERICA Strong again....
    B. A degrees are a DIME A DOZZEN...... AND MASTER degree's are Common...... Fairly soon, you will need a Doctorate to work at BURGER KING!....

If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That HK spitfire looks nice. But what I am always missing, is pictures of the "insides" of the plane.

How can we judge the plane witout seeing inside the cockpit, inside the wheelbay, inside the fuse, etc etc?

Welcome to the "Global Village", Kochj.

For what it's worth, Canon did a similar thing - total cost of PIXMA high quality (1 picolitre) printer $275. Full set of replacement tanks - not too far short of $200.

So people started offering 'non genuine' inks as a replacement option. A bit messy, and the colours may not be a spot-on match, but they did the trick ok. What did Canon do? Brought out tanks that have a micro-chip on them - that doesn't sense how full the tank is, but how many times the nozzle has been fired. Once that tank has reached that magic number, the printer nags you every time you try to print that it's running out of ink. Once it gets to a certain threshold, it refuses to print. You can refill that tank to overflowing, but nuh-uh... the software says 'replace tank'. There's ways around it, but it's a real PITA. And they only do it so that you either buy their genuine ink (at extortionate prices), or cave-in and go buy another printer.

Crooks. The lot of them.

Sorry for being a bit O/T, but that attitude is creeping into so much manufacturing these days. And to think Ralph Nader opened the doors on 'planned obsolescence' way on back in the 70's - they're even worse at it now.

I'm not sure with RC glow/gas engines, but there's lawnmower/whipper-snipper type motors out there that no longer run a cylinder sleeve (or sleeved valve-guides on 4-bangers). Result? When the rings finally bore the cylinder out to oversize, you throw it away and buy a new one - coz there's nothing there to grind/hone up to the next o/s size or guides to press out and refit new ones for an extended lease on engine life.

I guess that we as consumers can only vote with our wallets - don't buy from those companies and hope they see the light and change things back to a fairer system.

Now - back to 50cc WarBirds... I've had a bit of a look around the sites suggested so far, but everything is either too small/too big, or out of stock/discontinued as far as 50cc airframes go. Or am I reading it wrong?

From what I've gathered so far, something around the 80" mark is where I should be looking.

I'd love a decent FW 190, but they're either 70"... or 100" - doesn't seem to be any middle ground there....

BJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What type of 190???? Do you want an fw-190d9 or an A variant? ESM has an fw-190d9 at 82.5" winspan. I have one.
    http://www.vqwarbirds.com/product_in...e8a7e1ed815b00

The same manufacturer that makes the HK 89" spitfire also make an 83" or so fw-190d9. The brand is Vantex. You can get that 190 from:
    http://www.fuyuanrc.com/en/detail.asp?id=18013
    or
    http://www.cozmiktoys.com/55cc-p-113...0447f79e5ddf02

For an A version....TopFlite has an 85" one:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCBLL&P=ML

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BTW....I painted my ESM fw-190d9....so it doesnt have the stock red/white underside that the stock arf comes as
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge95249.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	1852720  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kwik

That HK spitfire looks nice. But what I am always missing, is pictures of the ''insides'' of the plane.

How can we judge the plane witout seeing inside the cockpit, inside the wheelbay, inside the fuse, etc etc?
    On page two this thread, there was a link posted to an electric conversion of the Hobbyking Spitfire with a good number of photos.
    Here is the link again:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1792324

As a reminder, I have ordered the plane and it should be here early next week. Any pics someone might want, I will be able to provide when it gets here.

Also of note.....there is ONLY one set of the retracts left on hobbykings site(international warehouse). They will probably get more at some point considering there are over 10 of the spitfire plane kits in the usa warehouse alone, you may be waiting awile if you dont grab the gear now.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...l_Bracket.html

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast