Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

HobbyKing 1/5 50cc Spitfire Mk IX Group Build Tips/Mods

RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

HobbyKing 1/5 50cc Spitfire Mk IX Group Build Tips/Mods

Old 06-20-2018, 07:24 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Vettster View Post
Like I said.. I had it at 5.5 before and it was a bear to land (actually a porpoise) Nose would drop, add a bit of power and up she climbed, slows down.. nose dives, back on power and up she goes.. all the time running out of elevator. Then the battery moved WAY back on its own and it landed perfectly!

Question.. How does a nose heavy plane land vrs a tail heavy plane? Not trying to be a smartazz . I would love to here opinions.
//
A sure sign of nose heaviness is running out of elevator control as the plane slows down. Your plane sounds nose heavy.

A tail heavy plane will be pitch sensitive....a touch of up elevator and the plane shoots up...a touch of down and it shoots down. Hard to get the plane to fly straight and level at any speed.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:48 AM
Vettster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Radford.. yes! I for sure rain out of elevator while landing. In the air it is very stable. Also took a longggggg ground roll to get in the air.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Vettster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well the weather finally was good enough for 2 flights. As mentioned I moved the CG back from 5.5 to 5 7/8.. Flew good, but more importantly it landed much better. Not Good.. but better. Just a slight porpoising and just a slight moment of running out of elevator but nowhere near as terrifying as the previous flight. I feel that 6" with gear down will be the sweet spot. I did check the CG in the air by climbing out at a 45* angle inverted. It did pull down but plenty of room for more tail heavy CG