Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

selling a rc hobby estate

Hello all. wanted your thoughts and opinons on how i should go about selling an extensive rc plane builder and flyers rc planes and related equipement and accessories ect. im most concerned about the many unfinished giant scale projects. as they will be difficult to ship. there are 4 main ones. a monster corsair 120" ws, giant corsair 90" ws. 90" p40. and a L4 cub @1/5 scale. i was asked by the family to handle the sale of all of his stuff. any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appriciated. thanks Andrew wisc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: selling a rc hobby estate

You might want to try posting in the garage sale section of the for sale ads... List it at as an estate sale. Then wait for the sharks to arrive.

Good luck.

Rebel

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andrew.

First, catalog the stuff and get some unbiased opinions on the values. While anything is only worth what a buyer will pay, you can search RCU and see what similar items sold for. Then consider a package deal, see if someone will buy the entire lot, there are folks who do, or may combine with others to do so. Get a feeling for the family's desires, income? See it get completed used? Just gone!  

With estate selling, Beware being cherry picked, you want to sell it all, and part of that is not having anything left! Worst case you can take remnants to a local club with a "free sign" on the last boxes of misc hardware, but it would be better if it all went. Often guys who buy estate stuff cherry pick and that might leave you holding a lot of stuff you have to deal with and get low price for it. If its a package deal then it all goes and the odds and ends are part of the price and if you want the Corsairs, you take the boxes of old wheels too! 

Another option is taking as much as you can to a local swap shop. 

Just my thoughts, I'm sure others will have better ideas.

Whit

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for your quick responses. all helpful. The rc club may buy some of the stuff. but our field and size of club is not really suited for giant scale. The family does need the money,so i want to do the best i can for them. Maybe i should advertize the giants and bigger rtf as alot only. local pick up. thanks for the ideas. keepem coming andrew wisc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This sounds like Barry's (NCIS) stuff. Is it? Sure wish I could finish that Corsair for him. I was following his build and he had a real passion for it.

I disagree that you need to sell it all at once. These are large airplanes, each with their own following. Ask a reasonable price given their worth, and be willing to negotiate, and the little things don't expect much for. This is still a tough economy for many of us. You will find buyers for them, I'm sure.

Shipping is important. 'local pickup' severely limits your market. Shipping is not so bad. It is all about the crating and packaging. Forward Air is a good way to ship, and very reasonable. The buyer pays for it and even the crating if you like.

RCU is a pretty good place to advertise. I have sold nearly everything I ever advertised on this site, large or small.

Hope it goes well.

best wishes,
    Gary Prince
    Cheers,
    Gary P. / use Steel Powder for ballast not lead. PM me for more information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use craters and freighters for packing and shipping and greyhound also. If you want to sell it all at once list a price that would encourage a few guys to throw their pennies together

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with ram3500, Trying to sell all in one deal and or local pick up would be too expensive for most and would severely limit potential buyers.
    Post what you got priced to sell.
    Warbird Man

I love the smell of AV gas in the morning.
    Smells like.... victory

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One of the hazards of doing this is that the family might have a diffrent view of values. I have seen this a number of times where the deceased had expressed to his better half what something was worth (maybe 15 years ago). Some folks would expect
    you to sell it for that much. Radio gear has changed so much in the recent past that a number of high end transmitters etc. won't bring the shipping cost. A partially completed project doesn't have much appeal to many? I know of several of these around
    that just will not sell because this is such an individual choice and appeals to just a few.

You should be commended for helping in a time of need, sounds like you have a big job ahead. Sit down with the family an obtain their desires and explain what you need to do. (have a plan they can live with) Try to enlist the help of at least one family member
    and keep them posted on each major step so as to protect yourself. All it takes is one family member to really distroy all your efforts and often this happens under these circumstances.

BEST OF LUCK
    Gizmo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Morning Andrew: I do purchase estates. Can you give me an idea of what the family needs for everything? Can you take too many pictures for me? The more the better. The large items as well as the small ones. You can call me 719 429-5013 and email edstrek @ yahoo.com Hopefully I can help you and the family out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes this is Barry's collection. I want to get as much as i can for the family. however it is important to me that the planes will get completed and flown. i will be catalouging and getting pics next week. thanks for your responses. andrew wisc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First find out the families expectations. They may have an idea of the value if not then you have to explain they may be lucky to realize half price of new even if it’s new in the box. It will depend on the buyers. Some things like a prized radio may be worth next to nothing because of its technology. Be careful of old engines they may be worth money but you will need to check them out.
    Do they want to sell it as a lot one price for everything? If not are they willing to go the garage sale routine then you will need to price everything then set aside two or three weekends to move most of the stuff. Then what do they want to do with what will be left over?
    How far are you willing to go to help the family out? Some of my estate sales have lasted months when I have placed the remaining items for sale on the internet forums, eBay etc. Shipping is exactly what it costs payment by US or CDN money order only. The items are shipped same day payment is received. I have an express account so items are automatically insured to $100 any thing over that is insured at your cost. I do not ship uninsured and unpaid for merchandise.
    If you decide to go the long route it is not unexpected that there is something in it for you. Usually the family will insist on compensating you. When asked I often will take from the items that do not sell. This makes the family feel they are not taking advantage of you and they are happy to see some of the harder stuff to sell go to a good home where someone will appreciate it.
    Above all if you garage sale the stuff keep your eye out for the few with no scruples that will have no inhibitions about taking advantage of the families lack of knowledge of the value of items. I have even noticed so called friends from the same club light finger a few items. Let nothing surprise you.

Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you all for responses. It will be a tough job for sure. I am definetly including family and thankfully my daughter is a photographer and is also a rc pilot. so she will know what shots to get. and is good at organizing . Hopefully all will be happy in the end.and i really do hope to see the giants get completed by someone and maybe get to even to see them fly someday. andrew wisc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HI Andrew: You have revived some good advice. I purchased a buy out in December and just this month sold the last of it, it is a time consuming process.

I shipped 3 large planes greyhound including building the crate. This lot was a 12 X 12 bedroom work area and full of items plus a full pickup of additional items in the garage, including 3 framed up kits 1/3 scale foker, sopwith pup and 1/4 scale foker. SO I have done this before.

If i could see the list and pictures it would be greatly appreciated. If you can it is easier to type a list directly into a laptop or something rather that writing it down and then retyping it into a document for electronic transmission. Also If the family has an idea what they need to get for the lot that would be great as a place to start.

I am sure I would be interested in helping you out with getting the items out of the area for the family.

Garage sales for R/C items is never a good way to go unless you are close to a couple of large clubs near or in a big big city and even then not many do well considering the work. As far as I have seen.

Hope to here from you
    Ed Vincent
    President:
    Fremont County Radio Controlled Club.
    Flying 18 years.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It depends on how you approach the garage sale. I let as many near by clubs know a short list of the desirable stuff a few pictures times and dates. I also insist on no early birds you would be surprised at the excuses you hear why they can’t wait for the start of the sale and want to look and buy in advance. If you do let early birders in then there is no reason for out of Towner’s to make the trip, they feel all the good stuff will be gone.

I set the prices, wiggle room depends on the item, buying in bulk allows a bit of a price break. The prices are extremely fair for both the modeler looking for a bargain and the estate. I am always willing to turn away low ballers because I know I can get that price on line. I make sure the family knows the garage sale is to give his friends and flying buddies first crack at the items but in no way is it going to be a give away.

The last estate sale one of the gentleman’s best flying buddies helped handle the cash and change. It was fast and furious in the first couple of hours and his help was invaluable. He is on a very limited model budget and probably had no extra cash to spend he just felt he wanted to help. At the end of the first day it became obvious that there were several models in need of some repair that were not going to sell for much. I asked the family if I could give these to the fellow helping and they thought it a wonderful idea. They also presented him with all of the left over balsa at the end of the sale and he was very appreciative. He still fly’s some of those models today and is most proud that they were once his friend’s models.

Using your knowledge to help a family out is very rewarding even though it’s a lot of work. Get a couple of friends involved and its even a better time. The family begins to understand the draw their loved one had for the hobby and his flying friends.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you can send some pictures, me or one of our club members might be interested in purchasing a plane or two.
    And we can forward the message to other clubs in the area.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all. will be meeting with family this next week. I will need to catalouge and take pics. Then will get out info asap. Thanks again

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andrew,
    Just to give you and idea of costs for shipping.
    2x2 frame with 1/4 lanan ply crate cost me about $150 and that's with screws.
    I just sold a giant scale P-47 (Meister scale) and shipped it from florida to north Carolina using Con-Way freight, cost $250 plus $5000 worth of insurance. And another nice thing is they will pick up at your door and deliver to the buyers door. they will also ship COD.
    I personally never use Greyhound for shipping, they are in the business of moving people not freight.
    Best Regards,
    Wayne Fussell Pres. Solo Propellers & RC Products

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wayne d

Andrew,
    Just to give you and idea of costs for shipping.
    2x2 frame with 1/4 lanan ply crate cost me about $150 and that's with screws.
    I just sold a giant scale P-47 (Meister scale) and shipped it from florida to north Carolina using Con-Way freight, cost $250 plus $5000 worth of insurance. And another nice thing is they will pick up at your door and deliver to the buyers door. they will also ship COD.
    I personally never use Greyhound for shipping, they are in the business of moving people not freight.
    Thanks for the plug for my company. I am a driver for Con-Way freight in Louisville KY (XLU). Let me know how we did please.
    Freddy Schneider
    AMA427952
    Freddy Schneider
    I still fly fans and now a Shocker too
    Just in, my new Jet Central VT-100 Rabbit!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: andrew wisc.

Yes this is Barry's collection. I want to get as much as i can for the family. however it is important to me that the planes will get completed and flown. i will be catalouging and getting pics next week. thanks for your responses. andrew wisc.
    Perhaps it would be beneficial to mention in the build threads that Barry participated in, that his stuff is all for sale. There will be guys who knew what he had and knew him via the various threads, might make things a bit simpler and I think you'd have a better chance of finding folks interested in completing the various models in less time.
    Zeeb