Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM F6F w/26cc gas ?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM F6F w/26cc gas ?

Old 04-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default ESM F6F w/26cc gas ?

Hi Guys,
I inherited-traded for a ESM F6F. This will be my second gas model...and I've a question about installing a 26cc gas engine into this model. A couple of guys in the club stated that a 26cc gas engine will be enough for this model and not to worry. Others state to use no less then a 30cc and recommended to use at least a 35cc gas engine. I have two 26cc has engines and a RCGF 26cc gas engine installed into the model. Will this be enough or am I looking for trouble.

If you or any one you know has flown this model...please share with me your experience and what gas engine you used.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 04-16-2013, 02:43 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM F6F w/26cc gas ?

That RCGF is a pig for it's size. Any other 26 might do well, but that one is pathetic. I would seriously consider swapping it out for a 30. Lots of guys seem to be flying them with DLE 30s and have reported very good performance. There's a huge thread about that plane on this forum. A quick search should turn it up easily.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 PM
greenbaron

Some more power never hurts, but a good 26 is enough for this plane.

Mine has an MVVS 26 and I like very much the way she flies.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55546.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1872883  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:00 AM
skillet92

Can't speak for this plane but I have 3 ESMs and they all built heavy. A 30 would be great but a good 26 will fly it ok. I have an evolution 26gt and it is a power house. Good luck with the ESM. I like them but they should not be called ARFs. Lol
Old 04-17-2013, 11:54 PM
Bob Paris

Hay irocbsa,
I've run two RCG 20cc engines on another model, and I was pleasantly surprised at how strong this engine was. I was turning a M.A. "S" series 16x8 two bladed prop at 9000 rpm...with both 20cc engines I installed and broke in on this model. That's better then the DLE 20 several guys at our club are flying. I was using a DLE rpm electronic unit to tune the engines and receive my rpm readings. I have had really good luck with the RCG 20, easy to start, good power and felt that the RCG 26cc would follow suit.

I do appreciate your input and before I try to fly my F6F, I will make sure the RCG 26cc engine is running true and at good rpm. If not...I'll need to buy a larger gas engine for the model.

Hay skillet 92,
I agree...its not your usual ARF build. To me...ARF's are a recent addition to the hobby...for many years, I built kits...and I love kit bashing ARF's into other models. But this is not your usual ARF build...not by any standard. But since I'm not building up the airframe...still a pleasure.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 04-18-2013, 04:10 AM
irocbsa

Hey Bobby, I agree with you on the RCG20. I've seen them first hand at our field and was quite impressed. Actually, the 20 will fly your Hellcat better than the 26. I'm not exaggerating, that 26 is a complete dog and is known to have carb problems to boot. Best bet if you want to keep it is to swap the carb over for a genuine Walbo. A WT-419 is the part number that I used. Put is on something like a Big Stick so you'll have a long glide path if and when the thing quits on you.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:29 PM
BubbasanJohn

I would go ith a 30cc to 36cc. I an curently flying this model and loving it. Im using the DLE35RA and its a real nice combo. Purrs like a kitteh and roars like a hellcat at WOT.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38508.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1873562  
Old 04-18-2013, 09:32 PM
BubbasanJohn

ORIGINAL: greenbaron

Love it. Need a spinner though then it woul dbe perfection
Old 04-18-2013, 11:59 PM
greenbaron

ORIGINAL: BubbasanJohn

ORIGINAL: greenbaron

Love it. Need a spinner though then it woul dbe perfection
Thank you. It's an old picture, but you are right, she got a nice Tru Turn and looks much better now..
Old 04-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Bob Paris

Hay irocbsa,
Thank you for the information on what carburetor to install. The guy that had the F6F I'm now building tried to break in the 26cc RCGF on another model and never was able to get the engine to run properly. He got so disgusted with the engine, he traded the model and engine to me. Unfortunately, I ordered a new carb from BP hobbies, as well as a new cylinder. I will order a new WT-419 carb for this engine and with any luck, this will give me the power I'm looking for.

Do you know where I can buy on line a new Walbo WT-419 carb ?

With the new carb...did the engine produce more power then the RCG 20cc engine? My two RCG 20cc engines really put out the power...as I stated last, they both turn a Master Airscrew "S" series 16x8 prop at 8900~9000 rpm, with a solid idle. I've run more then 3 gallons of gas through each of these engines and both perform the same...great little gas engines for the $$$.

Thanks for all the information,
Bobby of Maui
Old 04-19-2013, 10:18 AM
irocbsa

Hey Bob, no problem. I hate seeing that so many people were screwed over by that first generation 26. As far as I'm concerned, everybody who bought one should get a refund and an apology.

You performance won't improve as the genuine Walbro has the same throat diameter at the stock RCGF carb. The problem with the RCGF is that it won't pump properly because the fuel metering components are set completely wrong most of the time. You can play around with the height of the needle fork, but even after doing that it still may not work correctly.

Best bet for finding the carb is to keep an eye on Ebay and the classifieds here at RCU. Another carb that works well on this engine is the Wt-433. Now that I think about it, this should work well also and it's available now for $32:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-W...item3f229cdb93

That's the carb that Valley View RC is using on their hot little 20. You will need to swap the pump cover from the original RCGF carb over to the Walbro as the RCGF engine is setup to use an external pressure port.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Bob Paris

Hay irocbsa,
I managed to buy that carb on E-Bay and the last one they had. I am looking for either a WT 419-1, WT 433 and/or WT 793a. I'm told any one of these will work. Any more help in finding what I need would be nice. I've two, an RCG 26 and a RCGF 26 cc engine to find carbs for.

Thanks for your help,
Bobby of Maui
Old 04-19-2013, 05:09 PM
irocbsa

So you snagged a 793A? If so, use that on one of the engines.

At this point, I say buy a carb for a DLE 20 from Tower and use that. Any other 26, I'd say use one from a DLE 30, but for the lame ***** RCGF 26 definitely use the one from the 20. In reality, any carb with a 9.53mm venturi will work.