Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

UP-3 Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UP-3 Help

Anyone ever have trouble with UP-3 valves?
I had mine all set up working just fine during my build. Then after just sitting on the bench for a few weeks, I went to cycle and double check the operation of everything, when I found the gear doors on one side won't close. But they open ok. Nothing was changed, No air leaks or line pinches. I'm guessing a piece of dirt may have got stuck in it somewhere.
Can these things be taken apart easily and cleaned out or does one have to send it back in?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:18 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UP-3 Help

Try lubing the system with air tool oil. Maybe an O- ring has dried out.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:46 AM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto on the oil, BVM sells a kit with oil they recommend.

Otherwise I'd send it back in, no idea how complicated it is inside, it may be relatively simple but...

Whit
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Send Phil an Email or call him in Canada. He's the UP valve creator. Try his web site for information.

http://www.up-1.com/products.html
Old 04-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the one in my 51 is very tempremental, won't cycle reliably at first. takes a few cycles to get it to behave. Will sit there will gear half extended and will "hiss" but not complete the cycle. Have been told it is most likely an air cylinder with a bit of bypass air around an O ring that causes this.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:15 PM
91zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O rings get dried out and quite often cause leaks. Once an O ring dries out it should be changed because it may have small cracks. One of the most important things to do when doing maintenance is to lube the system. If you fly the plane every weekend 3+ times when out, couple of drops in the lines once a month helps. At season end clean what needs to be cleaned with compress air and lube, keeps O rings and air lines from drying out over the winter. At start of season lube and do a few cycles and check for leaks. Also remember when you get a set of retracts or control valve, you do not know how long it has been sitting and it what climate condition. So assume there is a good chance the lube from when it was assembled has dried out or close to it. So we should do a lube job before we start testing the retracts.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything is new and it all worked perfectly until now. Disconnected, checked and pressurized each line one at a time and everything works. Hooked valve back up and same problem. [:@] I don't get it. [&:] Waiting for a reply from Ultra precision.Thanks all for the help.