Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Turnegy retracts question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Turnegy retracts question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:49 PM
tardster
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turnegy retracts question

Hey guys, now that the P-47 is pretty much done I'm not liking the mechanical retracts it came with. They honestly are junk, they don't look right when they are opened fully they lean inwards towards the fuse instead of the other way around. I don't know if that is because they are 85% or not but I'd feel better if they actually leaned outwards someto make the stance wider. The air retracts right now are way out of my price range so I was looking into the turnegy electric retracts, hobbyking had a set of 90% that are 190 mm instead of the 188 mm that came with the kit but wouldn't they widen the stance some being that they are 90%? Also I've read some of the questions on their website from others who bought them but has anyone here used them on their planes and if so did you have any issues? Here is a opic I grabbed off there website and here is the info from them.

Full Metal Servoless Retract with 190mm Oleo Legs (90 degree) (Pair) - High quality servoless retract system for large models, features all metal construction for precision, reliability and durability, also features auto cut off for protection against excessive current draw.......finally, a reliable alternative to air & mechanical operated retract systems on larger models!
Pin size: 5mm
Weight: 295g
Max Model Weight: 7000g
Operating Voltage: 5v~6v
Axle: 4mm
Includes 2 way connecting lead

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16481.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1879409  
Old 05-05-2013, 04:42 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Turnegy retracts question

Tard I have the retracts from Turnegy , there rebranded Lansung .
The problem with these gear is that there very light weight and not sturdy in quality .
Also the e-baord that drives the gear is not made if the accuracy needed so they typically have slop.
If you look under the "new section" from Hobby King , the new heavy duty retracts are still out of stock but they will be a much better choice then the current Turnegy .
Old 05-05-2013, 06:05 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using 90degrees will widen the stance, that is if your P47 wing has dihedral.

However, you really don't want splayed out gear any more than you want bowlegged. The real world P47 gear stuck straight down to the ground, making a 90degree angle with the runway. There was a good reason for that. In fact, a couple of good reasons, but one is good enough.

Strength.

Gear that makes a right angle with the ground introduces far less torque into the gear mount in the wing. So the gear mechanism doesn't have extra load/leverage to deal with when taxiing or landing. The forces it feels aren't increased by the leverage from hitting the ground at an angle. Model gear is often marginally strong enough as it is. Using gear that increases the load the gear has to deal with isn't a good idea.

OK, let's mention another reason. When tires aren't square to the ground, their camber creates a natural turning force. It's different left to right and even more so when trying to turn. And best of all, you wind up with tire drag from both tires trying to turn in opposite directions when you land. Want to land every time "with the brakes on"?

Hey, your P47 is a scale model. Why make it look wrong and for a mistaken reason?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:08 AM
LDM

T, if budget is a concern there is one more method you can play with that is free . Take two plywood thin incerts (very thin place them on each side on the inside rail of the retract , this should change the angle of the retract outward .
The challenge is 1) how much depth you have in the wheel well and will the wheel still be inside the well when retracted .If they stick out this could change the trim in flight but its a free free that you can take a look at .
2)Also note one more flaw with the Turnegy design , the motor is not on the bottom under the leg , its about the unit , this means you may need to cut into a rib, not tragic when you know how to make the mod but noteworthy .
They do the same thing with there Rotating gear and that makes the gear very difficult to fit in P40/Corsairs as many need to cut the main leading edge (a total no no ) .
Old 05-06-2013, 04:39 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

I agree with LDM, do not waste your money on that set of retracts. They are complete garbage. The slop is terrible and the electronics are even worse.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+2 on that, bought them,sent them back.There is cheap, and there isquality, there is good and there is bad; but there is no good, cheap, andquality landing gear. If you want to play ya got topay
ORIGINAL: irocbsa

I agree with LDM, do not waste your money on that set of retracts. They are complete garbage. The slop is terrible and the electronics are even worse.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:31 AM
LDM

+3 agree with myself lol ,
But the new ones shown under new product ( not in stock ) appear to be from the same factory as the ESM but all medal , heavy duty .
Not bad in cost .
I have a pair of Hobby King eflight knock off in a 60 P47 , two years now and problem free but they have nothing to do with Turnegy /Lanx shown in the picture .
That company really does mean well, but they cant get there act together .
I have there retracts in a Platt Dora , lasted all but two weeks .
You have another option but I need the weight of your plane .
The FMS 1700 size epo planes come in at 10 to 12 lbs , there new retracts are about $70 with structs , I have the rotating gear for the 1700 corsair and they are going into my red box TF P40 as well , great value and strength but not good for more then 13lbs .
Let me know , you can find them at rccastle , search under FMS planes , tons of pages to ge to the 1700mm P47 and replacement parts but trust me tons of guys (as an example ) are using the gear in the Hanger 9 P40 .
There a value and they work .
E-forums are seeing much more inovatin then glow /gas , so you have to play in those forums to see the larger formats that are bargains and proven in the field.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:07 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know, thanks LDM. I bought the landers and went through several back and forth returns with Sonic Electronics before getting my money back and going back to my 615's for my P-40 I have no problem with air it's just the poor design of the 615's
Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 AM
tardster
My Feedback: (2)

LDM, my plane comes in at 10lbs. Also I tried to add a small thin washer under the retract but as you said just the thickness of the washer threw everything off. I was going to ask you which retracts it was you used in your P-47 the eflight knock offs since mine is the 60 P-47 arf they should work but if you wouldn't mind giving me some dimensions and pictures of them I'd be greatfull...
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 PM
LDM

Ok , these are the two options that are on the RC Castle website , then you go to planes , they you go to FMS .You have to go to aprox page 40 and start looking . I have the cheaper one show (black ) cost $19.00 each , then you buy the 1700 mm P47 structs , you get two with wheels for $30 , so your total bill should be $70 plus shipping .
If you want the super heavy duty all medal , i think they are $49 a piece /$98 then two structs for $30 total with wheels your at $128 plus shipping .
My set , the black version is on year three , great retracts and I am not that great of a pilot so my landings are ok !!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24722.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1879834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56585.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1879835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39707.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	28.3 KB