Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:03 PM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rslstft
Chorner,
I used different servos than the manual recommended. I used Spektrum A5040 servos. A little bigger, but the outer one fits into the opening on the wing panel when you slide it on, so no issues there. As far as flutter, they just seemed a little jerky when opening or closing, but I also had them slowed way down via servo speed on the transmitter, so that might of had something to do with it. I don't think he's (my customer) had any problems with the doors as I'm sure I would have heard about it from him. I didn't do any reinforcing of the doors at all, just CAREFULLY heated them with a hot air gun to get them to conform to the shape of the wing.
Carefully is the key word haha I have one misshapen (bumpy) door but not enough for me to pull it off and do again at this point anyhow. Got them all fairly close. If I were to do it again I would either make the doors out of fiberglass or wood and try to get the control horns closer to the middle of the doors.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:48 AM
mirored
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the primer and paint, I have purchased all of the Klasscote products to finish it. I will let you know if it works for me, but I am staying the course on this one for now. But, thanks for the feedback and advice.

The flaps are done as far as filling the gaps. I still have to fiberglass several small pieces. I am stacking them up and will do them in one or two sittings. They turned out very nice. Now I will be fixing the gear doors that were cut down, putting in the sonictronic hinges, correct the gaps and holes, and they will be back to where they need to be and clean.

A little warm weather and on to primer and paint.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:53 AM
Thomas Schultz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished up the flap assembly

and landing gear cover

Other then the rubber band what's another way to attach the strut to the cover.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-01 07.15.33.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2085595   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-01 07.15.40.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	2085596   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-01 07.22.02.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2085597   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-01 07.22.18.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2085598   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-01 07.24.08.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2085600  

Last edited by Thomas Schultz; 04-01-2015 at 04:55 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:13 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You could use a light tension spring around the strut anchored to a couple of small blocks that are glued to the door.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:50 AM
njmheli

Hi Thomas.

This is what I did,just added a former to the back of the oleo door ( this ensures that the door stays central on the oleo strut,when extended )...a "oleo guide",you can see the "black elastic" ( also use this for aerials on aircraft ).........can get it in various thickness.just two holes drilled either side of the oleo in the guide and the black elastic threaded through and knotted to secure..............slides a "treat" up the oleo strut,during operation.........because it is "fabric" covered,it is not "sticky" like the rubberband would be to the oleo surface.

May give you an idea..?

Your "woodwork" looks just the job............as usual...

Kind regards...............Nick (UK).

Name:	OLEO1.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	2085626  

Last edited by njmheli; 04-01-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:47 AM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Thomas,
I attached the oleo door exactly the same way Nick did using elastic from Wal-Mart. Cheap, works perfectly and replaceable should you need to.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:11 PM
Cpig

Originally Posted by njmheli
Hi Thomas.

This is what I did,just added a former to the back of the oleo door ( this ensures that the door stays central on the oleo strut,when extended )...a "oleo guide",you can see the "black elastic" ( also use this for aerials on aircraft ).........can get it in various thickness.just two holes drilled either side of the oleo in the guide and the black elastic threaded through and knotted to secure..............slides a "treat" up the oleo strut,during operation.........because it is "fabric" covered,it is not "sticky" like the rubberband would be to the oleo surface.

May give you an idea..?

Your "woodwork" looks just the job............as usual...

Kind regards...............Nick (UK).
Nick,
Thanks for that idea, I think I'll use it on my build.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Thomas Schultz

Thanks for some great ideas. The oleo guide works..

Tom

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	2085710   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	2085711  
Old 04-02-2015, 07:12 AM
chorner

What're the "black elastics" you're using? They kind of look like women's hair elastics...? I like that idea better than the rubber bands as those tend to deteriorate faster in my experience too. Thomas, I like your setup there! I may change mine around to be more like yours.

It's kind of a poor oversight on Hangar 9's behalf, not including a piece or generally not accounting for the fact that as the oleo compresses, it will hit the tip of the strut cover if it's not shimmed outwards from the strut.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:34 AM
Thomas Schultz

This is what I used from Wal-mart. Tom

Old 04-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Ted62
My Feedback: (2)

I finally got to the point of attaching the wing to the fuselage in order to mount the stab and check for alignment. Well, has anyone else had a bit of trouble with the wing dowel alignment? Not sure whether to sand the carbon fiber dowels or slightly enlarge the nylon dowel pockets. Advice welcome - been a busy week and didn't need this to dampen my Corsair "spirits".
Old 04-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Ted, I was recently presented with the exact same dilemma and I did a little bit of work with a file on the nylon bushings to make them a little larger and sandpaper on the CF dowls to make them fit well in the bushings. The wing fits good now, Hoping it all works out well..
Old 04-04-2015, 02:09 AM
Ted62
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Todd D
Ted, I was recently presented with the exact same dilemma and I did a little bit of work with a file on the nylon bushings to make them a little larger and sandpaper on the CF dowls to make them fit well in the bushings. The wing fits good now, Hoping it all works out well..
Thanks for the comments....I was really apprehensive about changing the dimensions of the nylon bushings at all - they are pretty thin anyway, but, that's exactly what I ended up doing. I took the Dremel with the small sanding drum and chamfered them along with sanding the dowels and now all is well. I feel the original holes for the wing dowels were improperly drilled in China. There is a small gap between the front of the wing center section and the fuselage as has been reported by everyone. Seems to be an area which could have been addressed considering the history of the design. Too many variables, I suppose. Happy Easter to everyone out there.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:09 AM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Forgot to mention that I have the gap between the wing and fuse as well.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:23 PM
bjohnson80
My Feedback: (63)

Gentleman- I have the Robart air retracts, and I am having trouble with one side. It hangs up ever so slightly, regardless of air pressure. All I have to do is tap it and it comes free and the gear leg comes down. Happens when upright or inverted while sitting on the bench. The gear is new, but was purchased some time ago and has been sitting. Anybody have an idea or solution they can share with me?

Thanks!

Brian
Old 04-04-2015, 12:31 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bjohnson80
Gentleman- I have the Robart air retracts, and I am having trouble with one side. It hangs up ever so slightly, regardless of air pressure. All I have to do is tap it and it comes free and the gear leg comes down. Happens when upright or inverted while sitting on the bench. The gear is new, but was purchased some time ago and has been sitting. Anybody have an idea or solution they can share with me?
I have had similar issues in the past which no amount of fiddling has been able to cure. However, it's never been a problem during actual operation since the "airframe shaker" bolted to the firewall provides all the "gentle tapping" necessary to get them moving!
Old 04-04-2015, 01:15 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks!

Brian
As Chad says, it will probably shake loose during operation. Put some vaseline (petroleum jelly) on the gliding surfaces in the mechanism.
There is a pin gliding back and forth in there. Thats the one.
Lubrication allways helps on mechanical parts.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:19 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

bjohnson80,
Have you checked to make sure the top of the pin on the rotation ball isn't rubbing the top wing skin. there are some shims in the kit for this issue. I didn't realize it at the beginning of the gear install and i put a small hole in my wing due to this. If that's not the issue then you have an O-ring leak which is letting air blow by inside the cylinder. Get some O-ring lube from Dream-works or Bvm and inject that into the air system it should cure the issue.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:56 PM
chorner

Hey guys, anyone have an issue with the Robart electric tailwheel actuator?

I've yet to take the bloody thing up in the air (aside from trying to get a replacement right outer flap as mine was supplied crooked as a dogs hind leg in the box), and I was cycling the retracts as a test and "bam", I noticed some strange noises coming from the electric retracts and sure enough the "great" quality of Robart shines again... the plastic housing snapped in half on the actuator. So much for "amp out" circuitry, either that or the plastic housing is extremely weak.

Anyone know of any metal cases for these, or other solutions you guys have used?

Name:	IMG_0495.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	2086416  
Old 04-04-2015, 07:12 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks!

Brian
I had the same issue, make sure when you're tightening your mounting screws that its not deforming the and causing binding. I had to add a washer underneath a mounting hole. Solved the problem.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:20 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Has anyone used the Saito FG-60R3 in their Corsair and if so what were the results?

Are there any other retract options besides the Robarts? I tried emailing Sierra because I thought I saw someone mention they made a set that's not on their website but I didn't get a response.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by camss69

Are there any other retract options besides the Robarts? I tried emailing Sierra because I thought I saw someone mention they made a set that's not on their website but I didn't get a response.
Darrel isn't very good at answering emails, call him. The gear he has is actually built for a P-40 model but it works in the Corsair. Check back in the thread a bit and my builder posted the information on the changes needed to install the Sierra gear. Another guy on this thread put the Sierras in his which is what gave me the idea to contact Sierra but I don't remember how much detail he gives on the install. This Sierra gear is actually less money, (IIRC it was about $450.00) than the Robarts and there's no comparison between the two gear sets when it comes to construction or quality. That price does not include a tailwheel, I used the Robart version sold by Horizon for this model as I already had the complete Robart gear when I decided to go with the Sierras. The Sierras do not come painted however, so if you want the white color of the Robarts, you'll have to paint 'em.

Name:	L qtr Nose.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	2087112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nose on.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	2087113  

Last edited by Zeeb; 04-07-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:17 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Has anyone compared the Robart 150 to the gear made for this model?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:36 AM
chorner

First photo of the plane up on its wheels having some of the main decals applied. Getting closer!

Name:	IMG_0494.JPG
Views:	522
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2087164  
Old 04-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Originally Posted by SWORDSN
Has anyone compared the Robart 150 to the gear made for this model?
I have put a set of Robart 150 B/Z gear in mine and they are an exact match. Basically this is the same gear as the Byron or Ziroli Corsair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.