Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 05:52 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cristian2fast4you
Hi SrTelemaster150,

What's inside the ignition "box"?

The short answer is "nothing you want to mess with".

The breakthrough in affordable, practical radial CDI systems came when a reverse polarity magnet was used to trigger the sequence.

4-stroke radials are always an odd cylinder count. That is because that is the only way to have an even firing order. A 7 cylinder radial fires 1-3-5-7-2-4-6-repeat, a 5 cylinder 1-3-5-2-4-repeat, a 3 cylinder firing order is 1-3-2-repeat.

On a Saito radial that has individual cams for each cylinder it would be possible to (cam) time the cylinders to fire 1-2-3 or 1-2-3-4-5, but then there would be a complete revolution W/O any cylinders fireing. Some Saito 3 cylinder engines that have been dismantled have been incorrectly timed thus. The engines will run like that, but power output is sharply curtailed.

By having the reverse polarity magnet trigger the every other cylinder firing order, each circuit in the module can fire its assigned cylinder @ the proper time. There is still "waste spark" on the IN/EX TDC just like a single cylinder or boxer twin system. Therefore it does not matter which TDC the ignition is timed on as each cylinder sparks every 360°. The true firing order the board sees is 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-repeat but the odd cylinders are on the compression stroke for 1 revolution, even cylinders the next time around.

The reverse polarity magnet just tells the board to start the 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-repeat sequence.

BTW: To help me out, Adrian sold me one of his prototype Saito FA450R3D systems for my project. It doesn't have the purdy red anodized magnet ring or hall sensor mount, but it should function just fine.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 03-17-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:26 AM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dissapointed at H9/ Horizon Hobby...I was so po'd yesterday when I went to pick up my scale wheels that I almost had a fire sale at home and got out of RC all together.
I knew that paying almost 1K for an arf warbird was kind of high, but to my chagrin I bought the plane. Then came the 500.00 in retracts! and the straw that broke the camels back was the scale wheels. After waiting months for them, and knowing that 82.00 was kind of high for a pair of wheels, I was called by my LHS to come pick up my wheels. To my surprise the wheels are 82.00 EACH!!!! Are you FSM!!! I told the clerk. That's ridiculous! I refused to buy them. My LHS claimed they are making no money on them and that they too questioned Horizon about the cost? "If it really was PER wheel". Heck the gear alone is 80% of the cost of the plane!

Well about an hour later I calmed down and decided not to get out of the hobby, but I'm seriously thinking about not further spending capital on deals or new purchases as the "accessories" are outrageous!

My .02… flame away!

Z

Last edited by jzuniga; 03-25-2014 at 07:29 AM. Reason: grammar, added text.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jzuniga
Dissapointed at H9/ Horizon Hobby...I was so po'd yesterday when I went to pick up my scale wheels that I almost had a fire sale at home and got out of RC all together.
I knew that paying almost 1K for an arf warbird was kind of high, but to my chagrin I bought the plane. Then came the 500.00 in retracts! and the straw that broke the camels back was the scale wheels. After waiting months for them, and knowing that 82.00 was kind of high for a pair of wheels, I was called by my LHS to come pick up my wheels. To my surprise the wheels are 82.00 EACH!!!! Are you FSM!!! I told the clerk. That's ridiculous! I refused to buy them. My LHS claimed they are making no money on them and that they too questioned Horizon about the cost? "If it really was PER wheel". Heck the gear alone is 80% of the cost of the plane!

Well about an hour later I calmed down and decided not to get out of the hobby, but I'm seriously thinking about not further spending capital on deals or new purchases as the "accessories" are outrageous!

My .02… flame away!

Z
Well I'm not much of a Warbird guy, I have the AeroWorks 1/5 scale Mustang which is all put together including the Sierra retracts because the ones included were cheapy Chinese copies of the Robarts. Why did AeroWorks make the change from the real Robarts which had been advertised as being included before the model was released? Cost, even at that people complained about the $1850.00 price of the model with all the goodies it came with and some even used that gear. I've also got this Corsair sitting in the basement and all the accessories except an engine as I cannot make up my mind what I want to use in the thing and I have a jet that needs some work with another that's also new and in the basement needing assembly, so who knows when the Corsair will make it to the bench but here's the point; I knew what the model and all of it's accessories were going to cost when I backorderd the thing and all those accessories.

People have been complaining about things such as the TofFlite model and how it could be SO much BETTER. Well this model is better in a very large number of ways but those kinds of improvements are not free. If you bought this model without knowing what accessories it needed and how much they cost, you have no one but yourself to blame. It's most definitely NOT Horizon's problem that you did not read and follow directions found on the website.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:55 AM
donddsms
My Feedback: (1)

I feel your pain and I had the same experience two weeks ago. I actually called customer service BEFORE I placed the order to insure the $82 covered TWO wheels and was told two wheels was correct. When I got the package and opened it up, I felt like the kid who got coal in his stocking for Christmas lol. Called support, and yes, it is one wheel for $82. Horizon customer support is very good so I think this was an unusual error. Just can't justify paying that much for very nice looking but small wheels, I could get a couple of cheapo tires for my car for $164. Well, maybe just one. Or, probably a pretty good bike from Walmart with two 26 inch wheels included. I am going to try Dubro treaded lightweight 5 inch tires from Tower for $12.99. Warning: that price is for only one wheel.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:17 AM
jzuniga

Originally Posted by donddsms
I feel your pain and I had the same experience two weeks ago. I actually called customer service BEFORE I placed the order to insure the $82 covered TWO wheels and was told two wheels was correct. When I got the package and opened it up, I felt like the kid who got coal in his stocking for Christmas lol. Called support, and yes, it is one wheel for $82. Horizon customer support is very good so I think this was an unusual error. Just can't justify paying that much for very nice looking but small wheels, I could get a couple of cheapo tires for my car for $164. Well, maybe just one. Or, probably a pretty good bike from Walmart with two 26 inch wheels included. I am going to try Dubro treaded lightweight 5 inch tires from Tower for $12.99. Warning: that price is for only one wheel.
Ditto Don...

I'm not buying Zeeb's comments. I knew how much the things cost, but not per wheel. I was ready to justify 82.00 for a set which is expensive enough, not per! It's the principle of the thing. Horizon and others know there are "others" out there that don't care of the costs, and they are catering to them! BVM is expensive stuff and they don't even charge that much for wheels!

Z
Old 03-25-2014, 09:17 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

I looked when I first read this. It says (1) in the product description.

Surprised me too.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 AM
jzuniga

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I looked when I first read this. It says (1) in the product description.

Surprised me too.
It was my bad, cause I assumed it meant 1 set! Who buys only one wheel, unless it's a replacement? Every wheel purchased I've made came in a set… Had they put 164.00 per set, then I would have made a better decision and not even posted on here.

Z
Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by jzuniga
Ditto Don...

I'm not buying Zeeb's comments. I knew how much the things cost, but not per wheel. I was ready to justify 82.00 for a set which is expensive enough, not per! It's the principle of the thing. Horizon and others know there are "others" out there that don't care of the costs, and they are catering to them! BVM is expensive stuff and they don't even charge that much for wheels!

Z
You are just so clueless you didn't know what they cost, if you'd have READ the description on the website, you'd have known that it was per wheel/tire. And we're not talking about just a wheel it's a tire and a wheel and yes BVM does charge more than $82.00 each for the 3 1/2" wheels/tires that fit my KingCat. You talk about is the price per wheel/tire or a set? Horizon specified on the website as Andy mentioned, that it was a per wheel/tire price but you didn't read that you just ASSUMED it was per set.

Now go look for aluminum 5" tires and wheels for a Warbird and let me know what you find. The last time I looked I believe it was an outfit called AeroTech who produced some nice Warbird accessories and a pair of 4 7/8" aluminum wheels and tires was well past $200.00, $240.00 IIRC.

Quit whining, it won't get you cheaper wheels/tires from Horizon. Either pay the price, find another aluminum wheel/tire vendor, use nylon wheels as @donddsms is using
or sell the damn thing and be done with it.....
Old 03-25-2014, 10:47 AM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Zeeb,
Hit a nerve there? I DO agree with you though. I received one of the first Aero Works Mustangs and ran the gamut of the same thing, "Too much money", "Should be better quality", and so on. Yes, it was expensive, and yes, I did invest more with Sierra gear and other modifications, but that was my choice. Simple, don't buy it if you think it's too expensive, not good enough, not enough included, etc.
I am putting together the H-9 Corsair for a friend and got the wheels and tires directly from Robart and paid the same price NOT PAINTED! So there goes the theory of Horizon making huge profits on wheels! Yes, it IS a very expensive aircraft when it is all said and done if you want something really nice, and as Zeeb said, you can use less expensive wheels and tires. It just all depends what your level of satisfaction is, mine is quite high and know I have to spend to get it there.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:50 AM
dubd

The Robart scale wheels are crazy expensive, but that's not the issue for me. I am use to crazy expensive parts in this hobby. What irks me is that the product description isn't clear that it's only ONE wheel, so when I received my order I thought the reseller forgot to send the second wheel. Once I realized it was $80 per tire, I had to place another order for tire number 2.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:04 AM
rslstft

Hmmm,
Robart 5" Aluminum Wheel & Tire, White (1): F4U-1D Corsair 60cc

Aluminum Wheel (not Wheels) & Tire (not tires) and (1)
Yup, confusing.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:06 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by donddsms
Or, probably a pretty good bike from Walmart with two 26 inch wheels included.
Walmart doesn't sell "pretty good bicycles" they sell junk throw away bicycles. Nobody sells a bicycle for adults worth having for $164.

When you get into the $400-$600 range you will get an adult bicycle that can actually be maintained/repaired. Anything less & it has throw away componnents.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 03-25-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:07 AM
dubd

My point is that I assumed it was a set (my mistake), since that is how I buy most RC wheels. Is it too much to explicitly state "single wheel" for those who are quick to place the order without reading the product description carefully? I personally would have preferred $160 for 2 tires in a single package, but I do see the benefit of HH allowing people to buy a single tire if they need to replace one in the future.

Last edited by dubd; 03-25-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:12 AM
rslstft

You are correct, it should plainly state that is it for one wheel, and they dropped the ball in that area. Probably because if the price was listed for a set, it would be too intimidating for most buyers.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by dubd
The Robart scale wheels are crazy expensive, but that's not the issue for me. I am use to crazy expensive parts in this hobby. What irks me is that the product description isn't clear that it's only ONE wheel, so when I received my order I thought the reseller forgot to send the second wheel. Once I realized it was $80 per tire, I had to place another order for tire number 2.
I thought you'd pretty much gone all jets????

Any rate, I still don't think they are that expensive compared to what I was looking at a couple of years back. I had the big TopFlite Corsair kit and it just sat with the gear and other parts/pieces and that is what I was looking for the wheels to fit. Seems like that AeroTech outfit was the only really good supplier and they were the only one's with the slightly smaller wheel/tire to fit that model.

So are they spendy? Yup but I knew that going in as I'd read all the stuff Horizon published and knew what the accessories cost but getting this jet bug I aquired last fall has made the Corsair stuff seem reasonable... lol
Old 03-25-2014, 11:19 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by rslstft
Hmmm,
Robart 5" Aluminum Wheel & Tire, White (1): F4U-1D Corsair 60cc

Aluminum Wheel (not Wheels) & Tire (not tires) and (1)
Yup, confusing.
Your link doesn't work Russ and yes, I followed your Sierra conversion on the AeroWorks Mustang quite closely. I figure it's YOUR FAULT I had to spend another $425.00 plus shipping on my Mustang... lol
Old 03-25-2014, 11:23 AM
jzuniga

Originally Posted by dubd
My point is that I assumed it was a set (my mistake), since that is how I buy most RC wheels. Is it too much to explicitly state "single wheel" for those who are quick to place the order without reading the product description carefully? I personally would have preferred $160 for 2 tires in a single package, but I do see the benefit of HH allowing people to buy a single tire if they need to replace one in the future.
Ditto, Dub...

but there are obviously some tools on here that can't accept the fact that people make mistakes, and assume stuff. FYI, i did opt NOT to buy them...

Z
Old 03-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

It's always a bit humorous to see someone new to scale. I did my research a few years ago. I bought the Robarts, I bought the Aerotech, I looked at the Glennis. Wheels of this quality are typically $150 -$200 a pair.

This does not mean that you couldn't buy a pair of DuBro wheel for $16 (each) and paint them yourself. They look pretty good from 100' on the flight line. I've done it and posted my comparisons on the TFGS Corsair Group Build thread.

Bottom line, buy the accessories and goodies you are comfortable buying.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:27 AM
jzuniga

Originally Posted by Zeeb
You are just so clueless you didn't know what they cost, if you'd have READ the description on the website, you'd have known that it was per wheel/tire. And we're not talking about just a wheel it's a tire and a wheel and yes BVM does charge more than $82.00 each for the 3 1/2" wheels/tires that fit my KingCat. You talk about is the price per wheel/tire or a set? Horizon specified on the website as Andy mentioned, that it was a per wheel/tire price but you didn't read that you just ASSUMED it was per set.

Now go look for aluminum 5" tires and wheels for a Warbird and let me know what you find. The last time I looked I believe it was an outfit called AeroTech who produced some nice Warbird accessories and a pair of 4 7/8" aluminum wheels and tires was well past $200.00, $240.00 IIRC.

Quit whining, it won't get you cheaper wheels/tires from Horizon. Either pay the price, find another aluminum wheel/tire vendor, use nylon wheels as @donddsms is using
or sell the damn thing and be done with it.....
I guess that means dub and other like us are "clueless" also?…
(my apologies for throwing you into the mix dub)

Z
Old 03-25-2014, 11:30 AM
jzuniga

Originally Posted by Fly2XS
It's always a bit humorous to see someone new to scale. I did my research a few years ago. I bought the Robarts, I bought the Aerotech, I looked at the Glennis. Wheels of this quality are typically $150 -$200 a pair.

This does not mean that you couldn't buy a pair of DuBro wheel for $16 (each) and paint them yourself. They look pretty good from 100' on the flight line. I've done it and posted my comparisons on the TFGS Corsair Group Build thread.

Bottom line, buy the accessories and goodies you are comfortable buying.
Thanks Scott, that's exactly what I'm going to do… Once the gear is retracted you can't tell the difference anyway..

Z
Old 03-25-2014, 11:44 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

JZ,
Its still a darn good looking kit, so let's build them and share our flight stories!
Old 03-25-2014, 12:04 PM
jzuniga

Originally Posted by Fly2XS
JZ,
Its still a darn good looking kit, so let's build them and share our flight stories!
Agreed, and I will… who knows, once I get over the shock and quit whining, maybe I'll buy them anyway ;-)

Z out...
Old 03-25-2014, 02:39 PM
rslstft

Sorry I made you spend that $425+ Zeeb!! On a side note, I have well over 300 flights on my Mustang now, without any issues at all with the gear.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:16 AM
raaf

Hi all
.Its been interesting reading the comments about the retracts.
.I bought the kit as it was shown on the web site including some of the acc and if you think the price that is charged in the states is to much then give it thought for us poor fellas in AUST.My wheels have just come in at my LHS which is the Ozzy DIST for Horizon Hobby and they will cost me $135EA and the kit cost $1300.00 and this is at a time when our dollar was the same as the US dollar and im still waiting for my 777.if you want it you pay for it we all have that choice.

.Prices stopped shocking along time ago here in AUST.

CHEER RAAF.

Last edited by raaf; 03-26-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:37 AM
Cristian2fast4you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same surprise when I openned the package and found only one wheel. I'm not complaining about the price, but about not knowing the price when I buy something. Is is not stated anywhere on the site that the price is per piece. Not even a picture showing one wheel..... Now I'm waiting the second wheel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.