Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:06 AM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I'm changing directions as to how detailed ($$$) I want to make my Corsair, I've been thinking of the new Evolution 62 fuel injected engine in my plane (instead of the Evo 7-77). Any thoughts? Anyone flying their's with this motor? Will it be sufficient? I'm thinking since it is a 60cc airplane this motor should be fine?

Z
Old 04-04-2014, 11:30 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The new 60cc Mustang is designed for that motor so I'm sure it would work.

I don't think you will find anyone flying with that motor yet though.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jzuniga
Since I'm changing directions as to how detailed ($$$) I want to make my Corsair, I've been thinking of the new Evolution 62 fuel injected engine in my plane (instead of the Evo 7-77). Any thoughts? Anyone flying their's with this motor? Will it be sufficient? I'm thinking since it is a 60cc airplane this motor should be fine?

Z
Let me start by saying that other than a litte nitro engine on a PTS Mustang I bought while trying to re-learn how to fly, I've never owned an Evolution engine.

There are, or have been a number of the older style engines around here that were supposedly copied from the MVVS design. Now if you go looking around the web I think you'll find that the MVVS engines have an excellent reputation while the older Evolution 58's and 116's have had their share of issues. I saw one guy I know go through three of the 116's on 35% size aerobats and crashing two airplanes before he gave up. Everyone of those three engines had bottom end problems, now Horizon replaced 'em but that didn't do much good for the two lost airframes. I've also watched guys play with the 58's and not much different experiences. That alone would keep me from buying an older engine, some guys swear by them while most I'm familiar with swear at them.

Now something happened along the way and Horizon went to a different manufacturer and it's a whole different engine of I think Chinese origin. Fuel injection would REALLY solve some gas engine problems for us modelers but a new type engine and a new type fuel injection system in a new 1/5th scale Corsair that cost you a bunch of money?

I think I'd pass at least until some of them get out an are used, they seem to be perpetually backordered so somebody likes 'em or Horizon didn't order that many to start with, I don't know. It's also quite light at about 3 1/2lbs. so you're going to need a chunk of weight in the nose for balance purposes on the Corsair.

I still haven't decided on an engine although my preliminary thoughts were a ZDZ-90 which should be able to swing an almost scale size three bladed Solo prop. The radials sound so nice and look so cool, but I'm not ready to go back to nitro engines so the possibilities for a radial gasser are quite limited, have to figure that out later I guess.....
Old 04-04-2014, 12:02 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Ok guys, thanks for the input. Good points Zeeb. Maybe I'll just go DA60? that's a proven engine with lots of power...

Z
Old 04-04-2014, 12:43 PM
BarracudaHockey

They haven't arrived yet, they aren't so much backordered, as none have been sold here yet. They have a couple in the US but they are on platforms at trade shows as far as I know.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:58 PM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Zeeb,
The Corsair I'm building for someone else has the Saito 84cc GAS 3 cylinder radial in it. It's really a tight fit and I haven't run it yet, but seeing how most are adding nose weight to this plane, I think it will work out good. I'm waiting for the ring exhaust from Keleo until I do the final fitment. I have to admit, it IS a pricey motor, but it is what he wanted and it's his money, so....! I'm looking forward to running this motor/plane combo and I think it will pull it around well.
Speaking of Evolution engines, I have 2 of them. The 26cc and the 35cc (later superseded by the 40cc), BOTH of those motors have been beyond my expectations. Never missed a beat, pull strong and start easy. Both of them have well over 50-60 gallons of gas through them and are still running great. Granted, those were most probably manufactured by MVVS with their quality, but I can honestly say those 2 motors have earned their keep. I too am looking forward to some reports on the new 60cc fuel injected engine from Horizon as it works it's way out into the field.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:56 PM
BarracudaHockey

I can tell you that I have a 33GX in my Beaver and its run flawlessly from day 1.

I even put the wheels on temporarily to break in the engine because I didn't want any surprises by breaking it in over the water, but its been very reliable.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:45 PM
djohnson

Well there are certainly lots of different ideas out there from everyone except the ones that actually own and fly the engines
i have completed along with my cousin the Corsair and both of us have the Evolution 7 77 engine and for flying here in St George,
Utah I could have not ask for a nicer combination. This plane came off in a very short distance with lots of authority and was a great pleasure to fly. I broke both engines in on a test stand with and hour and 20 minutes on each before installing in the planes and from the start have run strong and no bad habits and so smooth with lack of a lot of vibration. If I was to do it again I would not change a thing as I made the right choice for a nice scale plane. We both put the lights, the scale doors, bomb drops, etc and use 16 channels on the DX18 radios. There is a product view from a user and so very happy with the choice I made and has been very impressive to all those that have seen them fly. No there not 3D but very impressive scale planes with very good power and they handle so very nice.

Last edited by djohnson; 04-04-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:02 AM
jamessymons

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi everyone

Does somebody perhaps have a few pictures of how the tail wheel electric actuator is installed with the tail wheel retract ?

Thanks in advance

James
Old 04-06-2014, 06:12 AM
Cristian2fast4you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wheel is not retracted, but hope it will help you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140406_170443.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	1984518   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140406_170533.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	1984519  
Old 04-06-2014, 06:55 AM
jamessymons

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cristian2fast4you
The wheel is not retracted, but hope it will help you.
Many thanks Cristian2fast4you. Makes sense now.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:55 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Saw it at the Toledo show, VERY impressive! They have a Beaver with the 7-35 in it as well. I bought a Ziroli P-61 Full kit, and was thinking how sweet it would be with a pair of 7-35's in it since they fit the cowls with room to spare, however, not enough power since the Z P-61 needs 38-50CC. Thos radials are some really nice looking engines, though you want to make sure you keep them clean since the pushrods are exposed.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:15 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the Seidel 770, same engine as the Evo 777. Very nice engine.. very smooth too and sounds great!!.. is it as powerful as the new 62 fuel injected engine? No... its not. Does it need to be? Maybe.. Depends on your plane and how and where you fly... Since you have the 777 I would give it a try.. See how you like it.. you can always change it out..
Old 04-15-2014, 04:21 PM
David Pinjuv

Russ
I too am building a Corsair with a Saito 84cc for a friend. I hope you have/had better luck fitting the Keleo exhaust ring than I. I've spent the better part of 2 days bending and cussing. Two of three ports now line up, the third is still highly misaligned. Very close to shipping it back. How are you mounting the engine? Are you modifying the firewall for Keleo clearance?
Do you know if the problems with the Robart electric retracts have been worked out? Both myself and another guy in town has nothing but one failure after another. He has shipped his retract(s) back 3 times now.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:55 PM
robart-joe

David -

If you are still having issues with any of your product, I would like to take a look at them and upgrade them if they are still giving you problems. We have recently updated all of our electric components to propriety designs using our own manufacturing and assembly methods which has eliminated a lot of issues people have seen in the past. Feel free to email me anytime ([email protected]) .
Old 04-16-2014, 03:35 AM
flypilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everyone,
I just got the tailwheel electric actutator in the mail but there was no manual that came with it, do you who have it know if I have to have the robart controlbox to use it, or if I can just connect it directly to my receiver? What voltage does it operate on?

Thanks

H
Old 04-16-2014, 04:55 AM
frisconick

Robart-Joe,

On my first flight, one of the mains wouldn't extend all the way. Had to belly land. This was late last year. I sent everything back to Robart. I was told the control box and one of the main actuators was replaced. I have not had a chance to fly the plane again, but plan to do so as soon as weather permits. But now I'm worried I don't have the latest components. How can I tell if I need to send the whole system back again?

Thanks,
Old 04-16-2014, 06:17 AM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

David,
Now you have me worried! I just got my email that my exhaust ring is being shipped in the next day or so. Sounds like it will be a PIA to get it to fit. Oh, boy! As far as the retracts, I went with air instead of the electric. I have seen just too many electric have problems and I have been very careful over the years with air and have never had any major problems. I know you hear of so many saying they will never go back to air, but look at the size of the retract and tire/wheel combination they are using. Most are 60-90 size, where you are not trying to lift a pound or more of weight into a wheel well.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:19 AM
robart-joe

Originally Posted by flypilot
Hi everyone,
I just got the tailwheel electric actutator in the mail but there was no manual that came with it, do you who have it know if I have to have the robart controlbox to use it, or if I can just connect it directly to my receiver? What voltage does it operate on?

Thanks

H
All of our electric offerings must be plugged into the control box. Without it, you will void the warranty and ruin the actuator.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robart-joe
All of our electric offerings must be plugged into the control box. Without it, you will void the warranty and ruin the actuator.
Thanks robart-joe!
Good to know!
It would seem that warranty may be hard to enforce if the product is not supplied with proper documentation.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:17 AM
robart-joe

Originally Posted by Fly2XS
Thanks robart-joe!
Good to know!
It would seem that warranty may be hard to enforce if the product is not supplied with proper documentation.
There should be a bright yellow warning sheet included with the packaging explaining to read the control box instructions before any connections are to be made. if you send me an email to [email protected], I can send you a PDF of the instructions. (Instructions are included with all main gear)
Old 04-17-2014, 10:23 AM
BarracudaHockey

You mean the thing that gets discarded like the bow on a Christmas present?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:44 AM
acdii

I saw the Corsair that Horizon flies at the Toledo show. Very nice indeed, too bad I dont have $3k to sink into one. Now if someone wants to trade one just like it for a CARF Extra 330 with DA 100, I might consider it. I would put a lot more flight time on a Corsair than the E330, which has yet to leave the ground and has 20 minutes on the engine.

I would love to have heard that 7 popper going, bet it sounds sweet.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:45 AM
acdii

Oh, One question, What scale is this one supposed to be?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Cristian2fast4you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's 1/5.76

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.