Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Old 12-07-2014, 03:22 AM
njmheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonyfever
can anybody tell me what kind of hindges work best for the gear and tail wheel doors size placement . pics would be great thanks in advance
Hi.

If you look in the "build" manual in the first couple of pages,there should be the part numbers for the SonicTronic hinges which were used to install the main and tail wheel doors.

On my set-up for the tail wheel doors I used a hinge,which the "pin" can be removed,you should be able to see these in a post,back one page......just to give you an idea..? The main doors,I used the parts suggested from ST............perfect,again,my posts on the main wheel door set up,that I used are a few pages back.

Hope this helps..?

Regards...................Nick (UK)
Old 12-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone stuffed a DLE or DA 85 into one of these? I've got one with a 55cc in it, and for the amount of lead I have to put up front I'd rather have the weight be doing something, like swinging a big 3 blade prop.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:25 AM
tsnaylor1964

Kalzone,
Do you still have the 77 for sale?
[email protected]
Old 12-09-2014, 04:27 AM
kalzone

Originally Posted by tsnaylor1964
Kalzone,
Do you still have the 77 for sale?
[email protected]

Yes i I sure do. I sent you an email titled evolution 77
Old 12-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

WooHoo!

My builder sent me a pic yesterday and it looks like I'll be picking up my Corsair this week. He's sent me a few other pics along the way but If anyone is interested in more, I'll take some when I get it up here. From looking at the pics I've seen, they did a fantastic job on the model and I'm extremely pleased....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair assembled.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	2053359  
Old 12-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great, how many hours did he put into it? Seriously considering one of these for myself still... migrated over from the H9 Spitfire camp as I just really like the Corsair as a subject and always have. Owned a TF version years ago and would like a nice one today.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by Eddie P
Looks great, how many hours did he put into it? Seriously considering one of these for myself still... migrated over from the H9 Spitfire camp as I just really like the Corsair as a subject and always have. Owned a TF version years ago and would like a nice one today.
I don't know how many hours they put into the model. I asked him how much I owed him, he gave me a figure which I thought was fair and I said okay. He's had the model for a couple of months but had to take a break and fix a full scale Extra, he's an A&P licensed mechanic as well as model airplane aficionado. Mine has the Ray English modified Saito FG84 with the Keleo exhaust ring and he modified the firewall rather than move the engine farther forward for the ring to fit, I'm sure that added to the hours. Also, mine has the Sierra gear which despite Darrell's assurances, did not go in by simply moving the mounting holes. It's also got the light kit, drop tanks, bombs, a finished cockpit including a nifty instrument panel and other nice little touches all over the model.

I can put these things together, but I don't enjoy the process and I'm not capable of doing the finer things that can be done especially to WarBirds. The last model I put together was the AeroWorks P-51 with Sierra gear and a DA-60. That thing damn near drove me nuts trying to get stuff fitted and modified and it does not have anywhere near the detail that was put into my Corsair.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:20 PM
jonyfever
My Feedback: (5)

can anybody help? i seem to be missing my back tailwheel door all the other doors are there exept for the rear does anybody have a spare i could buy . kalzone do u have one from your old one u might want to sell
Old 12-09-2014, 11:11 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Mine has the Ray English modified Saito FG84 with the Keleo exhaust ring and he modified the firewall rather than move the engine farther forward for the ring to fit, I'm sure that added to the hours. Also, mine has the Sierra gear which despite Darrell's assurances, did not go in by simply moving the mounting holes. It's also got the light kit, drop tanks, bombs, a finished cockpit including a nifty instrument panel and other nice little touches all over the model.
I've seen videos of the modded Ray English engines and they puur. As in Wow, that's cool. As far as not liking the detail work, I understand it's not for everyone. We all like different stuff in the hobby, as long as you are having fun that's what counts. I'm sure your Corsair will bring a lot of joy to anyone who watches it fly but especially you! Congrats.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:47 AM
clover creek

Zeeb,
May I ask, what did your builder use for an insturment panel?

see you soon,
John
Old 12-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by clover creek
Zeeb,
May I ask, what did your builder use for an insturment panel?

see you soon,
John
I haven't asked him yet, but I think it was scratch built with one of those instrument sets you can buy for models. Here's a pic, a bit blurry but you'll get the idea. It even has a pin up card on the panel...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair Instruments.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	2053667  
Old 12-10-2014, 11:43 AM
mirored
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iflytailies has a real nice cockpit interior. Rather pricey, but very detailed. With the operable canopy, I think it is well worth it. I have it in mine.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Warbird AL
My Feedback: (10)

Z, I think you ought to just hand that baby over to me hehe
Old 12-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by Warbird AL
Z, I think you ought to just hand that baby over to me hehe
You can look at it sometime Alan, not sure when it'll be out with the Winter here but you can come over to the house and see it if you're so inclined.....
Old 12-11-2014, 04:20 AM
Thomas Schultz

Zeeb

Any chance we could see more pictures of the Saito FG84 with the Keleo ring installed? Was the original firewall offset used? What type if any modifications were done to the firewall, throttle servo and fuel tank.

Thanks Tom
Old 12-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by tom99
Zeeb

Any chance we could see more pictures of the Saito FG84 with the Keleo ring installed? Was the original firewall offset used? What type if any modifications were done to the firewall, throttle servo and fuel tank.

Thanks Tom
I didn't put the model together so I'm not in a position to answer your questions. As for pics of the engine install, no I'm not going to pull the spinner/prop/cowl and put 'em back on to get you a picture. I don't anticipate flying the model until spring as it's Winter around here but if for some reason I have to pull the cowl, I'll take some pics of the engine install and post 'em here.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.....
Old 12-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Thomas Schultz

Zeeb,

I understand there’s no need to take it apart. Would you be willing to show some pictures of the fuel tank/servo area and cowl?
Does the one rocker arm cover show through the cowl? I see that the Saito is a very tight fit. Any help regarding the Saito/cowl/firewall offset would be helpful.

Thanks Tom
Old 12-11-2014, 05:31 PM
rslstft

Tom,
The Corsair I built used the stock offset in the firewall. I use .200" spacers between the Saito and the firewall. I DID grind the fins off the rocker covers on the top (#1) cylinder so that the cowl cleared, but had I moved the motor down just a tiny bit, I probably could have avoided even doing that. None of the rocker covers showed through the cowl. The only holes in the cowl were for the choke rod. (Goofy setup on the 84G!) The spacing between the front of the cowl and the back of the prop was just about perfect. Moved the fuel tank back between the elevator servos and relocated the rudder servo below the tail wheel retract cylinder. It all worked out good and plane flew great with only a couple of clicks of trim on maiden.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:30 PM
heirmeistr
My Feedback: (2)

I purchased my Corsair from a buddy. One of the stickers on the main gear cover got messed up. I was wondering if anyone has a set of "152" decals they are willing to sell?

Last edited by heirmeistr; 12-14-2014 at 09:18 PM. Reason: more to the point
Old 12-13-2014, 11:23 AM
jayman618
My Feedback: (5)

You can use a dremel with the large sanding disc. It will get it done in about 1 minute.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:08 AM
Thomas Schultz

Originally Posted by rslstft
Tom,
The Corsair I built used the stock offset in the firewall. I use .200" spacers between the Saito and the firewall. I DID grind the fins off the rocker covers on the top (#1) cylinder so that the cowl cleared, but had I moved the motor down just a tiny bit, I probably could have avoided even doing that. None of the rocker covers showed through the cowl. The only holes in the cowl were for the choke rod. (Goofy setup on the 84G!) The spacing between the front of the cowl and the back of the prop was just about perfect. Moved the fuel tank back between the elevator servos and relocated the rudder servo below the tail wheel retract cylinder. It all worked out good and plane flew great with only a couple of clicks of trim on maiden.
Russ thanks for the reply.
So what do you consider a tiny bit for moving the motor down to avoid grinding the fins off the rocker cover cylinder? Did you go with the stock exhaust or did you install the Keleo ring.

Thanks Tom
Old 12-14-2014, 08:40 PM
rslstft

Tom,
I possibly could have moved the motor an 1/8" down, the lower 2 cylinders were very close to the cowl also, so I am not positive it would have gave me enough room or not. I just ordered a spare set of rocker covers and ground off the fins on a disc sander. I got the extra set just in case I screwed up and ground through the top of the cover!
I ordered and received a Keleo exhaust ring, but was very disappointed with it when I got it. The fit required you to loosen the barrel on each cylinder and bend, twist and whatever to get it to fit. Also the motor box would have needed modification to get it installed and I just wasn't interested in doing all that work. I used the stock flex exhaust pipes and believe it or not, they are long enough to be bent and fit out the scale exhaust ports H9 includes with the airplane. The flex pipes are the right OD to fit inside the piece supplied that is the scale dress-up item. I was thinking I was going to be disappointed with the exhaust note, with everyone saying how good the Keleo exhaust sounds, but I was very happy with the way the flex pipes sounded. Nice lopey idle, and a great throaty roar in flight at full throttle. Several other people at the field were quite impress with the sound also.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:12 AM
Zeeb

Tom,
My builder sent me some engine install pics this morning just as I was on my way out the door to go get the Corsair. I don't have time to post them now and since it's 300 miles each way I'll be spending the night down there and coming home tomorrow. I'll post the pics then.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:57 PM
drottman300
My Feedback: (2)

im having problems with my bomb drops dropping by themselfs, im wondering if its my electronic ignition interfering with the servos!! it only does it when the engine is running! anyone else having this problem??
Old 12-16-2014, 04:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Make sure all the connections are nice and tight, could be vibration as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.