Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:20 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Well as I've mentioned before, I didn't put mine together. While there was a bit of grumbling initially from my builder, when I told him that Peter Goldsmith (my builder knows him personally) had put one on one of the four different prototypes Horizon was sending to meets all over the place, my builder figured he could do it as well. The biggest difference is that my engine has the Keleo exhaust which caused the most work for my builder, Pete's model has the stock Saito exhaust.

I "think" they polished off the raise ridges on the cylinder rocker covers on that one lower left cylinder (I can't remember how they number radial cylinders anymore... lol) and that was about it. I've posted some pics of the install in this thread a few months ago.
I shot some pictures of Pete's Corsair at Fondy'14 they can be found here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...l#post11862526
Old 02-22-2015, 11:38 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Nick,
What is that prop you have on the FG84-R3?
That looks like an aluminum center.
Scott

Originally Posted by njmheli
Hi All.

On my mounting of the 84,it needed 40mm bolts ( length of shank + thread ),30mm bolts come with the engine...............to use any longer bolts you will have to remove the carb plus the mounting flange other wise you get the bolts in.

I will be using Stainless Steel M40 set bolts plus Nord Lock washers.

Below are the photo's of the 84 on it's test stand,you will see the simulated " head" of fuel,with the tank much higher than the carb centre line........the 84 is pumped via the carb,but to quote Saito " pump not so strong "..............guessing that's because the 84 still runs with a crankcase vent....?????.

No problems running like this,no syphoning of fuel and also I am running a pressure feed to the tank..........so hoping I can make good use of the space where the air tank should go for a fuel tank now..???

Rexel and Saito also sell a Tacho ( # SAIG 17167 )..........you can see this in the photo,plugs into the CDi box ( will also work with Adrian at CH Ignitions CDi box ),so no need for the opitcal tacho and risks !!!! I will mount a plug in the cockpit,so I can plug this in and read the RPM's in a safe way !!!

Kind regards................Nick (UK).
Old 02-22-2015, 03:45 PM
Cpig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clover creek
I hope I didn't derail this thread!
More progress on the Hanger 9 Corsair. I got the paint mask from Promark.
Nice work Clover, keep the pics comin!
Old 02-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Cpig

May be a dumb question here but when using the retractable tailwheel: http://www.horizonhobby.com/retracta...60cc-han476024
Do you have to use the Robart actuator with it or can you use a servo to retract the wheel assembly?
Old 02-23-2015, 02:36 AM
njmheli

Originally Posted by clover creek
I hope I didn't derail this thread!
More progress on the Hanger 9 Corsair. I got the paint mask from Promark.
Hi John.

Very nice work..................great to see a different colour scheme on these on these Corsairs................looking great,keep posting !!!!

Kind regards..................Nick (UK).
Old 02-23-2015, 02:50 AM
njmheli

Originally Posted by Cpig
May be a dumb question here but when using the retractable tailwheel: http://www.horizonhobby.com/retracta...60cc-han476024
Do you have to use the Robart actuator with it or can you use a servo to retract the wheel assembly?
Hi.

Not a "dumb question "...............you can use a retract servo,others have,just require a good hi torque servo,which you can slow the speed down via your Tx.( I always use a different power supply for any retracts that are either servo operated or "pure electric by design "............reason : if you get a jam up,your not going to "sap" or short out your Rx batt )

Check out CONDORs photos on his build,pretty sure you will see the retract servo............."mirored" can answer that for you...?

Kind regards...................Nick (UK).
Old 02-23-2015, 02:54 AM
njmheli

Hi Scott

The prop is a std 22" x12 x 3BL Biela..............just painted the hub area !!! thought it looked a bit better.

I do have a new SOLO hub,still to fit on with Corsair Blades............does look nice and will mount on the 84 when all good,just need to get my head around setting up the "pitch on it".............last time I tried,couldn't do it !!!.............put it down to a "OLD MOMENT"

Kind regards.................Nick (UK).
Old 02-23-2015, 06:28 AM
chorner

Hi.

Just got into bed ( it's 00:10hrs here in the UK ),heard the ping of my phone............love this thread and topic,so I had to get the old laptop out and reply !!!!

If you look at CONDOR's photo of his tank set up,you will see that he has lowered the tank ( or raised it higher to the top of the fuzz ,in the area where the air tank was positioned ),it is also under the beams for the servo mounts,that allowed the tank to be moved aft.

The only "mod" that I did on the F/W was to increase the amount of "ply" to the rear and sides of of the fuzz crutch plates,this will give added strength to a "possible weakened" F/W after you have done the grinding of the F/W to allow the collector ring to clear..........I did an additional 1/4" ( using the 4 off "ply pads",which I cyno hardened ) off the F/W to stop me having to grind back too far around the corners / one side of the original F/W set up...........the 4 off "ply pads" to the rear in the F/W were purely to take the blind nuts,as I thought the ply used in the F/W was too soft.......IMO............Just being safe,hence all the carbon fibre / resin around and where I could add it to the original F/W.

I have not flown the 7-77 as the Corsair is not finished..........but pretty sure with the CDi from Adrian that I have it was giving more power,using the 22" 12 X 3Bl Biela.I got the kit from Adrian,was very easy to fit and time for ignition,JB for the sensor was very easy to do,just made myself a 1mm gauge for sensor spacing,and JB'B it on....perfect,fired up straight away........lovely.

I would say that the 84 has for's and against.............but concerning the power,I think ( correct me if I'm wrong ) the 7-77 is approx 4HP max,the 84 is probably around 6+HP after Ray's modifications..............definately more RPM's easily ( petrol produces more torque,hence larger props can be run ).The after-run on the 7-77 is quite a pain in the backside,but in a weird way,fun to do............wish the 7-77 had a crankcase drain fitted,that could be opened and closed to assist in the "cleaning".

You know you want to go for it !!!!!!

Let me know............

At the moment,we fly off a disused airfield,so the 7-77 in the heavy Corsair,would not present any take of worries and once going ( seeing the Corsairs flying with the 7-77,2Bl 24" 10 props........no problem,even from grass strips......just longer T/O's ).Still think it is a lovely radial for the Corsair

You could also ask Adrian to modify the 7-77 to run on Gas.................just a carb change required ????
Nick,

Nice thanks for the reply and all the info! I plan to run something like 16% nitro and 8-9% oil. I don't plan on taking it easy on the 7-77 haha I think I may actually try it first, and then make a switch if I'm not happy. The only problem this poses is -as you've found- yanking off that mounting block for the 7-77 from the firewall. Easier to switch from another engine for sure in this case.

I finally have my engine on its way back from CH Ignitions, so I'll at least go through with breaking it in and testing props. Realistically, I think that 22x12 3BL Biela as long as you're able to get ~5,100 to ~5,200 consistently on the ground in the air it should perform nicely. It's funny on the box and online it's stated that the 7-77 produces around 4.8 HP ... which seems pretty far off, and you're correct... more like ~4hp. Probably after running on CDI it's more like 4-4.4 HP at most.

The other thing I was looking at is the fact that you can use an FG60 R3 and have it perform similarly to the 7-77, while having a better power-to-weight ratio (the other thing to consider when slapping on a massive hunk of metal on the front of your bird). The difference being the FG60 R3 has the mods that Ray does to the 84 out of the box, and produces slightly more HP but has a little less torque than the 7-77 so it swings slightly smaller props faster and with a bit higher pitch. It's the power to weight ratio that really makes the FG60 look like a good option as it's a good couple lbs lighter from what I can gather, plus the bonus is... it's basically a drop in fit. If you made some modifications and ran the FG60 R3 off methanol... now we're talking! haha
Old 02-23-2015, 07:03 AM
clover creek

Originally Posted by Fly2XS
Nice color scheme John! (clover creek)
What are you powering your with? (engine & prop)
Scott
Zenoah G-62 with spring start. 22x10 Mejzlik.

see you soon,
John
Old 02-23-2015, 07:19 AM
clover creek

Hi John.

Very nice work..................great to see a different colour scheme on these on these Corsairs................looking great,keep posting !!!!

Kind regards..................Nick (UK).
Thanks Nik and Cpig.
Just about ready to assemble. This thread has been very helpful in making my decisions for equipment and modifications!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	corsair paint 019.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	2075641  
Old 02-23-2015, 07:39 AM
Cpig

Hi.

Not a "dumb question "...............you can use a retract servo,others have,just require a good hi torque servo,which you can slow the speed down via your Tx.( I always use a different power supply for any retracts that are either servo operated or "pure electric by design "............reason : if you get a jam up,your not going to "sap" or short out your Rx batt )

Check out CONDORs photos on his build,pretty sure you will see the retract servo............."mirored" can answer that for you...?

Nick,
Thanks for the reply... and for all the pics of your build as well. I'm planning on stripping this kit, glassing, detailing and painting it (when it comes back in stock).
Joe
Old 02-23-2015, 09:15 AM
njmheli

Hi John.

That is looking sooooooo goooood........Very nice,correct me if I have not seen before,but I guess you have been stripping back and glassing etc ....correct..?
Old 02-23-2015, 09:48 AM
njmheli

Hi.
The work required to take off the 7-77 mount,is only lenghty in time to save damage to the F/W......I managed to saw the 1" thick mounting off half way through ( thickness wise ),by using a normal saw !!! I then used a "Forstner Bit " ( see photo below ) in a normal power hand drill to "grind or rather cut " away the remainder,making sure that the bits point was just stopping short of touching the F/W........to finish off to the original surface I used a Dremel and Flat Faced grinding attachment.

.You can see in the first photo I took of the "naked F/W" after removal of the 7-77 mount,the original markings for the engine alignment.

The FG60 has,I think 40mm stand offs,so should not be a problem with the carb inside and hence fuel tank moving.............but still has a similar mounting to the 84,with respect to a 4 bolt hole rectangle position..........

I think also with the 84 up front,additional weight may be required,depending on what else I can get up to the front .....still got to get 3 x lipos in there yet !!!

Yes,knew about the FG 60 mods,after a chat with ray in December. ( Ray English mods..............not available as std on the 84 until later into this year i believe )

My fuel tank arrived from China..............mmmmmmmmmm not as advertised on dia,but not too far out ( 70mm dia x 190mm long )....see pic. below.This has given me an idea to retro my own if I can't make this work.........I have some items arriving this week.

The pipes on this std tank ( used in Petrol RC boats ),I guessing are for : Fill,vent,pressure and to carb,there is a felt clunk of good quality inside......

Will post my "tank-workings" as I get it done.............

Name:	FT1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	2075683   Click image for larger version

Name:	FORST1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	2075684  
Old 02-25-2015, 05:07 AM
Thomas Schultz

Hi,

I cut some pieces out of lite-ply to reinforce the area where the wing brace is attached to the fuselage.

Tom

Name:	22-1.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	489.7 KB
ID:	2076190   Click image for larger version

Name:	22-2.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	2076191   Click image for larger version

Name:	22-3.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	2076192   Click image for larger version

Name:	22-4.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	2076193   Click image for larger version

Name:	22-5.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	2076194   Click image for larger version

Name:	22-6.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	2076195  
Old 02-25-2015, 05:22 AM
Thomas Schultz

Nick,

With lite-ply I made a piece to fill in the area so I can move the fuel tank back. Also reinforce the servo beam once I cut it.

Tom

Name:	25-0.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	2076203   Click image for larger version

Name:	25-1.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	2076204   Click image for larger version

Name:	25-2.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	468.4 KB
ID:	2076205   Click image for larger version

Name:	25-3.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	2076206  
Old 02-25-2015, 06:59 AM
clover creek

Hi John.

That is looking sooooooo goooood........Very nice,correct me if I have not seen before,but I guess you have been stripping back and glassing etc ....correct..?
Started back in October. Stripped off the ultracote and prepped for fiberglass using Kirks (K-Sonn) suggestions. I used solartex on the open areas including the control surfaces, 1/2oz. cloth for the rest with Z-poxy resin. Duplicolor auto primer and latex house paint.
This is my first attempt at fiberglassing and I used this site for all the "how to's".

see you soon,
John
Old 02-25-2015, 11:17 AM
njmheli

Hi Tom.

That's looking good,should work perfectly and still have the structural support for the servo beams from the "tank floor" and also your "extended tank floor "....are you going to "box in " the servo support / beams on the open sides....? ie : the open side where each servo sits,therefore light ply side covering the "open box" area from servo surface down to the tank floor.......?

Have you decided how to mount the rudder servo as yet in the respect of longways or sideways..?

Not a problem adding weight up front as you will need some at the front in the end !!!

Like your idea of a "little more support " at the wing retaining area..................very neat !!!!

FYI : I have decided to sort of make my own fuel tank up,using various "items" I have sourced..............so far looking good,tank is all plumbed up and at the moment undergoing "leak and pressure" testing..............it has a capacity of 625cc. I will post some photo's when I am happy with the set-up.

Only problem so far has been trying to get "access" for my hands in the "air-tank" area to remove the ply to allow a 75mm dia tank in there !!!!...not much ply to remove,but very hard to get there to do it !!!

Great stuff !!!

Kind regards.............Nick (UK).

Last edited by njmheli; 02-25-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:21 AM
njmheli

Hi John.

Well all I can say is that your work looks like that of a "pro" !!!! ................very well done and very neat and tidy scheme............looks like you have found your "true vocation " !!!

Keep it coming...........

Old 02-25-2015, 12:27 PM
Capt Midnight

Default This year's Corsair

Hello all...

Just thought I'd jump in here and add my two cents worth (with this year's version of the H9 Corsair) and let everyone know whats happening on this side of the pond. I've been following this thread for over two years, and I see it has come a long way.

This is my second H9 Corsair, being set up using the "Sky Boss" graphics from Callie Graphics. Last year I used a DA50R, and had to add 5-1/4 lbs. of weight in the nose. This year's version will use an Evolution 7-77 radial on Gas. The engine is in the UK right now, being up-fitted with a CH Ignition system by Morris James (Morris' Mini Motors). I hope to have the engine back in two weeks or so, as soon as Morris gets his ignition modules from RcXel in China, and has a chance to run the engine in a bit.

I will be bringing this plane with me (and a few others also) to Joe Nall 2015, if I'm able to link up with Paul LeTourneau and do the maiden up in Fon du Lac by mid-April. Paul helped me with the maiden on the first Corsair at Windy City's Warbird meet at Fox Valley Aero Club last year, and that one flew just great. This year's version should be even better.

Name:	IMG_1131.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2076401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1098.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2076402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1099.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2076403  
Old 02-25-2015, 03:02 PM
njmheli

Hi Capt........

She's looking great !!!! What size Biela are you going to run...?

Question : Why did you opt to go to Morris Mini Motors,here in the UK..............I didn't know that he was doing the CDi conversion and to "gas" aswell...........I got the CDi "kit" for glow from CH Ignitions for my 7-77,easy to fit and works very well............just interested on your choice,is it much different from CH's set-up..?

7-77 sure looks the part on the Corsair..... Looks like you have a great workshop set up,like it !!!!!

Keep us all here posted as to your progress...........

Old 02-25-2015, 04:28 PM
Capt Midnight

Default H9 Skyboss Corsair

Hi back to you Nick...

Answers... (and Thanks!); Props: I'll use a 23 x 10 2 blade Mezjlik for the break-in period and until I get comfortable with the engine & the airframe's flight profile. After that, I'll; switch to a Biela 22 x 10 3 blade, and see how it flies with that. I also have a 20 x 10 3 blade in stock if I feel the need to kick the RPM's in the ass...

Adrian and Morris have been collaborating on glow-to-gas conversions for years, in fact Morris uses many CH Ignition components, in addition to manufacturing many of his own design. Glow or gas, the ignition system is exactly the same. The primary difference is in the carb; my Evo has a carb from a FG-84 Saito to start with. Morris will also try the engine with the Walbro WT-44 carb that he has been using on conversions; we'll go with what works best

I was going to give the job to Adrian originally, but in November when I got the engine, CH's website was down, and I couldn't raise Adrian. I approached Morris, and he agreed to take on the project, so I could stay on my construction schedule (two warbirds and a new 17' trailer to up-fit before Joe Nall). Morris got the job...!

Morris also drilled the prop hub for me to accommodate the different props that I might use.

Photos attached.

Name:	10848048_797980526929453_3190705429208323293_n.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	2076452   Click image for larger version

Name:	10978670_834321576628681_2608802752195331663_n.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	2076453   Click image for larger version

Name:	10412003_830591367001702_3498756186732218291_n.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	2076454   Click image for larger version

Name:	10425490_797992416928264_8170244324159255183_n.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	2076455   Click image for larger version

Name:	11025828_840192862708219_5508029146904327175_n.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	2076456  

Last edited by Capt Midnight; 02-25-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:19 PM
ashworthb

Hi.

A couple of pic's of my 7-77,with Adrian's CDi fitted.

Those glow plug connectors look quite large and wonder if the 7-77 with the CDI mods will still fit inside the cowl? The glow connectors (Mc Daniels) on my unmodified 7-77 are very close to the cowl.

Thx Bob Ashworth
Napa, CA
Old 02-26-2015, 01:11 AM
njmheli

Hi Capt.

Thanks for the info,conversion items look great,hope all goes well in getting ready for your flying events..........keep us posted.

FG 84 Carb looks great on the back of the 7-77............will the velicity stack protrude much into the fuzz............?

Adrians CDi box,that he sent me has all the plug leads coming out of one side...........

I have run my 7-77 for approx 4 hours or so ( on the test stand )...........with the CDi,running on glow,as said in a couple of posts back................using the Biela 22" x 10 x 3BL,the ground RPM's achieved,were high and with unload in the air possible taking it too close to the 7-77's RPM limit on max throttle...........Hence my change to the 22" x 12 x 3BL Biela.

I would guess that the 7-77 running CDi on gas will produce a little more Torque,so running the 12 pitch 3BL Biela,I would have thought that you may see more than my 5100 to 5200 RPM ( obtained on CDi glow on the 12 pitch 3BL )...................let me know how you get on,will be very interested to see your figures.

Use the RcXel Tachometer if you don't have one already............should run straight off the CDi box..........?

On the 7-77,I think that those flying it are saying that anything around 5100 + ground RPM's will be ok for the Corsair,most I guess are coming out at around 30LBS ish..AUW..?

I had the "prop grip-lines" on my prop-driver machined to give a smooth surface for the Biela blade to fit against..............didn't like the idea of those being "crushed" into the "glass surface" of the prop face....?...........you have blade bolt holes drilled in your driver,so gripping would not be a problem.

I also had these removed on the 84 prop-driver,but on the 84 I have the 4 bolt DA pattern for the prop............

Last edited by njmheli; 02-26-2015 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:25 AM
njmheli

Hi Bob.

Good question on the plug caps...............I never got round to fitting on my cowl..............but Alf ( aka..Affias ),is flying his on the CDi 7-77 from CH ignitions,it's on YouTube...All has fitted in.............Plug caps are either 120 or 90 degree angled,common I think is for the 120 set up.

Glow plug caps ( Mc Daniels ) approx 20mm length...............CDi Plug caps approx 25mm at angled bend.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:57 AM
njmheli

Hi All.

Sorted my "fuel tank",all appears to be good..........these are the figures :

190mm long x 75mm dia..................capacity 625cc,fitted out weight 115g ( 4oz )

On my basic maths,625cc ( ml ) full with petrol / oil mix,should give an approx weight of total fuel at 16oz..............total full weight tank / fuel of approx 20oz.

The mid position of the tank looks as if it is positioned just about on the C of G area...........I will be adding a small support for the tank at the front,running from the front servo beam to the std tank floor area.( the new tank,butts up against the floor at the front position )

I decided to make the fuel tank a completely sealed item ( meaning that the only items I can use again are the cap fittings,should I have the need to put a new tank in or to re-new the felt clunk )..............I did this just to make sure that there was no chance of a fuel leak,so the end fittings,ie: the white cap is bonded to the tank / pressed plasitc bottle fitting using a epoxy compound for plastic / ali.............Hylomar M being used to coat the surfaces of the "felt" washers and gasket material in the cap,

The tank has been tested for leaks and under simulated pressure from the exhaust..................so far all good !!!

Photo's attached.

Kind regards.....................Nick (UK).

Name:	FTF1.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2076632   Click image for larger version

Name:	FTF2.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	2076633   Click image for larger version

Name:	FTF3.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	2076634   Click image for larger version

Name:	FTF4.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	2076635   Click image for larger version

Name:	FTF5.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	2076636  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.