Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Old 03-05-2015, 04:35 AM
Thomas Schultz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick

You talked about a small LiPo for lights. What type of lights are installing, and how do you plan on turning them on/off.

Tom
Old 03-05-2015, 05:05 AM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by njmheli
Hi chorner.

I guess it depends upon which type of CDi box you have.............not sure if the boxes that are supplied by "Adrian" are all of the same design,as I know he was trying out,I think different ones..? The box from "Morris",I cannot comment on,but from the video of Bob's conversion looks like it has two sides with leads coming out of...

When I was planning to run my Corsair with "Adrians" conversion,the box I was given,is made of wood............dimensions are : 3.5" L x 2.25" W x 2.5"H ( approx )...my idea was to fit this in the "position of the suggested battery box " adding a little more strength in there first to support the box..........( that's where I will be positioning the Saito CDi box for the 84 )....see photo,couple of posts back..

I had checked out the dimensions on my box from Adrian and it would have fitted in,with the plug leads obviously pointing down..( plenty of plug lead length,with Adrian's box ).. into the fuel tank area...all sorted and a bunch of weight in the right place to help with C of G !!!!....

If you look at the attached photos below,you will see two pencil lines marked on the fiberglass areas of the mouldings for the "Scale Exhausts" supplied,if you cut the fiberglass back to those lines,"my supplied box" would then drop in there...a little tight in one dimension ie : "front to back",but will fit............the "Scale Exhausts" will still be able to be fitted and cover up / hide the cut areas.

NOTE : small black hole on L/H pencil line,shows where a pin was pushed through the moulding,to make sure that the "Scale Exhaust" would fit in place as std............no problem there !!!

I believe that the other area you could locate the CDi box would be to do...as you say with some major cutting..... and position on top of the fuel tank...Alf ( aka affias ) ..has his positioned on top of the tank.

Hope this helps.............?

"Bob",may have a good idea.....?

Kind regards.......................Nick (UK).
Mine will definitely not fit in the battery box that's for sure. Your arrangement of wire leads he gave you seems optimal for this plane. I will have to take you a photo but it looks to be exactly like the one in the video of Bobs conversion with what is essentially two different size rectangular shapes put together (the 7th lead comes out of the smaller one and kills you for space!) with the plugs coming out of the sides.

I was wondering how much room there was above the firewall (above fuel tank) and what's there exactly. Could only be one way to find out unless Affias has some photos/info on that I don't suppose too many others have chopped up that area
Old 03-05-2015, 07:06 AM
njmheli

Originally Posted by Thomas Schultz
Nick

You talked about a small LiPo for lights. What type of lights are installing, and how do you plan on turning them on/off.

Tom
Hi Tom.

Just use the stock E-Flite lighting system,comes with clear,red and green Hi intensity Led's ( you can get plenty of extension leads for the lights,as you will need them !!! )..................see the photo below for the unit's info and operation.This unit plugs directly into your Rx and is then operated by one of your Tx knobs or switches to turn on or off the lights..........

I will be using a 1S1P 1050mA lipo as seen in the photo................NOTE the MAX voltage suggested in the instructions for your power supply...( Led's require only a very low voltage,different colours requiring slightly different volts / mA..? )

I have modified a "Y" lead so it is only the "signal" + -ve wires ( you could just use the signal wire only )... that only go to the RX ch for lights,power being supplied from the lipo NOT Rx.........I also have the option to isolate / switch off the lipo power by a std switch.

I will also use the Tx light on / off switch to "Arm" the ignition..............NO nav lights on NO ignition on........( in addition to the red led from the ignition cut off,which will be mounted in the cockpit ).

Hope this helps............Kind regards...............Nick (UK).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EFL1.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	2078955   Click image for larger version

Name:	EFL2.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	2078956  

Last edited by njmheli; 03-05-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:13 AM
njmheli

Hi Tom.

Wow.................loving all your fantastic wood-work !!!!! That looks great...............your not by chance a carpenter or cabinet maker are you...?

Looks like you will have plenty of extra strength in the F/W,when all the wood removal is done for the Keleo ring !!!!...........great stuff !!!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:21 AM
njmheli

Hi chorner.

I was talking to Morris here in the UK this morning,I think that the CDi boxes he uses are "stock" from Rxcel,including the leads..?....? Adrian uses his own design box and also makes up his own plug leads...........Guess the box is too thick to tuck in behind the exhaust ring.on top of F/W box ....( could make a heat shield if necessary )..?

I don't know what Alf's set up is,but pretty sure it is "Adrian's".............I did ask Alf and all he returned with is that it was on top of the fuel tank...?

He may read this or send him a PM..?

Bob may have some ideas,when he gets his set-up back from here in the UK..?

Kind regards................Nick (UK).

Last edited by njmheli; 03-05-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:37 AM
njmheli

Nick

Tom
Hi Tom.

Forgot this photo for you...........!!! ( you get 2 led's per pack )...........as said plenty of choice with extension leads for these Led lights.

Kind regards.............Nick (UK).

Name:	EFL3.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	2078966  
Old 03-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Morris Mini Motors

Hello guys

Here is a link to some LED lights i use on my plane

http://www.braincube-aero.com
Old 03-05-2015, 08:44 PM
chorner

Hi chorner.

I was talking to Morris here in the UK this morning,I think that the CDi boxes he uses are "stock" from Rxcel,including the leads..?....? Adrian uses his own design box and also makes up his own plug leads...........Guess the box is too thick to tuck in behind the exhaust ring.on top of F/W box ....( could make a heat shield if necessary )..?

I don't know what Alf's set up is,but pretty sure it is "Adrian's".............I did ask Alf and all he returned with is that it was on top of the fuel tank...?

He may read this or send him a PM..?

Bob may have some ideas,when he gets his set-up back from here in the UK..?

Yes I think Adrian makes his own boxes and puts in very high quality components from what he has told me. I don't know what Morris uses but he does use/sell a lot of Adrian's stuff so I honestly have no idea. The boxes look very similarly shaped, so whether or not the insides are different between his and Morris I don't know.

Anyhow, I will post up a few pictures soon perhaps but I've gone ahead and cut open above the fuel tank through the firewall and made a shelf that has been glued to the top side of the wood that the ignition box is strapped to. Just have to make a door to cover the box with a hole to route the spark plug wires through and fuel proof it all. It just fits in there with the wires front to back, and you have to orient it the right way to ensure the leads for plugs 3-4-5 will reach. Barely fits but it does with a bit of work and hacking out the firewall. Will probably reinforce the area a bit, but the firewall itself is nice and strong with fibreglass on either side of the wood so not too concerned. Nicely done.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:50 AM
Capt Midnight

Hi chorner.

I guess it depends upon which type of CDi box you have.............not sure if the boxes that are supplied by "Adrian" are all of the same design,as I know he was trying out,I think different ones..? The box from "Morris",I cannot comment on,but from the video of Bob's conversion looks like it has two sides with leads coming out of...

When I was planning to run my Corsair with "Adrians" conversion,the box I was given,is made of wood............dimensions are : 3.5" L x 2.25" W x 2.5"H ( approx )...my idea was to fit this in the "position of the suggested battery box " adding a little more strength in there first to support the box..........( that's where I will be positioning the Saito CDi box for the 84 )....see photo,couple of posts back..

I had checked out the dimensions on my box from Adrian and it would have fitted in,with the plug leads obviously pointing down..( plenty of plug lead length,with Adrian's box ).. into the fuel tank area...all sorted and a bunch of weight in the right place to help with C of G !!!!....

If you look at the attached photos below,you will see two pencil lines marked on the fiberglass areas of the mouldings for the "Scale Exhausts" supplied,if you cut the fiberglass back to those lines,"my supplied box" would then drop in there...a little tight in one dimension ie : "front to back",but will fit............the "Scale Exhausts" will still be able to be fitted and cover up / hide the cut areas.

NOTE : small black hole on L/H pencil line,shows where a pin was pushed through the moulding,to make sure that the "Scale Exhaust" would fit in place as std............no problem there !!!

I believe that the other area you could locate the CDi box would be to do...as you say with some major cutting..... and position on top of the fuel tank...Alf ( aka affias ) ..has his positioned on top of the tank.

Hope this helps.............?

"Bob",may have a good idea.....?

Kind regards.......................Nick (UK).
Hi Chorner & Nick,

Yup, waiting for the engine to arrive back hear in the states. Read both of your posts, and the concern is mutual... Where to put the box. Either it goes in the battery pack well behind the firewall (& under the tank) or it goes on top of the engine support box with a set of baffles and a heat shield. More to come....
Old 03-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Thomas Schultz

Nick, Thanks for the kind words and no I'm not a carpenter/cabinetmaker. I just really enjoy woodworking. Tom

Hi Tom.

Wow.................loving all your fantastic wood-work !!!!! That looks great...............your not by chance a carpenter or cabinet maker are you...?

Looks like you will have plenty of extra strength in the F/W,when all the wood removal is done for the Keleo ring !!!!...........great stuff !!!
Old 03-06-2015, 10:28 AM
chorner

Originally Posted by Capt Midnight
Hi Chorner & Nick,

Yup, waiting for the engine to arrive back hear in the states. Read both of your posts, and the concern is mutual... Where to put the box. Either it goes in the battery pack well behind the firewall (& under the tank) or it goes on top of the engine support box with a set of baffles and a heat shield. More to come....
Capt, I'd say "good luck" in putting it in either of those two positions. If your box is the same shape as mine, the only area you can really fit it in and have the spark plug wires reach is by cutting above the motor box and through the firewall. You can only mount it there with the electric retracts as well as you have to cut away the former that supports the back of the air canister if going with the air retracts.

If you manage to get it to fit (who knows maybe your spark plug wires are longer) without cutting a hole in the firewall let me know! Already done mine though and it works and provides a good bit of distance from other electronics as well so it's actually a good spot for it despite the cutting.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:28 AM
chorner

Edit : double post + new "issue".

So I didn't realize at all when first installing my Keleo exhaust that the collector ring blocks the high-speed mixture control knob from being extended! Ouch, that was a bit of an oversight. I will probably get it tuned close by the end of break-in, then make a servo mount to control the mixture by about half a turn either direction from the radio so I can fine tune each time it's taken out without having to take the prop and cowling off every time.

Last edited by chorner; 03-06-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:47 PM
njmheli

Hi chorner.

Sounds like you have solved the problem..?

Are you going to post some photo's of your modification.....?

Good idea about your "mixture control".............all sorted,well done.

Cheers................Nick (UK).
Old 03-07-2015, 03:53 PM
njmheli

HI Bob.

How long before your engine arrives back.............? Had a talk with Morris tonight,( he supplied me with an adaptor for my 7-77,so I can fir the 84 carb onto it and see how petrol goes.. ).

We also had a chat about the CDi box,where it could be fitted...............guess you and Morris have already discussed this...? Think you may be able to fit it behind the exhaust ring,as from what I can gather,it is not too thick...?.......but if not,chorner appears to have it sorted pretty well.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:20 PM
njmheli

Hi All.

Very nearly finished the "fit-out" behind the Firewall on the Corsair,so will post some photo's when all done..............

I thought that I would have a go at making a "jig",so I could line up accurately the holes that are needed for the "chasers" in the side of the F/W and the two holes in the cowling for the mixture adjustment ( if needed..!! ? ) of the 84 carb.

Very pleased with the result I have............jig looks "crude",but it is very accurate in lining up the "chasers" needed...............just got to make sure the holes are drilled accurately !!!

I found out that a 3mm Dia brass tube fits exactly and nicely into BOTH the "bores" where the very fine adjustment slots are for the slow and main needle jets are.To get the correct size brass tubing best suited for the supplied adjustment "tools" that came with the 84,I just "telescoped" the two other sizes of brass tubing ( shown in photo's ),as required to get everything lined up and central.

Jig is fitted to the exhaust and "marked" BEFORE the engine is mounted to the airframe.

The jig made basically is a very tight fit around the collector ring,and clamped for extra security........masking tape is then used around the exhaust ring,jig fitted,adjustment tools inserted down into carb ( not enough to touch the main jet,choke was connected by the screwing in of the tool )...to make final line up of jig / adjustment tools....Marks were then made on jig and tape.........100% lined up.

The jig should also be able to mark the two holes required for the cowl...........

Just a thought............may be of interest and maybe good for other installations..............?

Kind regards..................Nick (UK).

Name:	JIG1.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	2079578   Click image for larger version

Name:	JIG3.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	2079579   Click image for larger version

Name:	JIG4.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	2079580   Click image for larger version

Name:	JIG5.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	2079581   Click image for larger version

Name:	JIG6.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	2079582   Click image for larger version

Name:	JIG2.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	2079583  

Last edited by njmheli; 03-07-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:21 AM
chorner

Hi Nick, I like your jig - seems like the FG 84 install is coming along well.

Ill post a couple photos photos of what I've done so far. I rotated the carb 180 degrees and drilled + counter sunk a new position for the throttle linkage post on the opposite side. I've also replace the stock linkage with proper slop free linkage with small ball ends. The stock linkage was very sloppy. What this has allowed me to do is use the servo mount/cutout on the bottom of the firewall with very short linkage to control the throttle. A high speed needle adjustment servo will probably be mounted inside the fuselage.

Cant see the throttle setup in this picture but when I finalise geometry I will post some. You can see the cutout for the CDI in the photo and inside I made a small shelf for it to sit on and the former that holds the fuel tank has room for Velcro straps between the two for the tank which lines up perfectly.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	817.9 KB
ID:	2079754   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	668.2 KB
ID:	2079755  
Old 03-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Capt Midnight

Nick,

Still waiting on the engine. Your chase mount looks great. i may "borrow" a few features when I do mine...
Old 03-08-2015, 12:41 PM
njmheli

Hi chorner.

Well,that looks well sorted...............great job.... !!! and sounds like you have it all done,Bob will be interested in your mod's for sure..? See what you mean "running front to back " with the CDi box,lucky the leads were just long enough to fit...

I guessing that is the Biela 22" 12............which you will be running...? I agree about the use of "ball links for the throttle,I always use M2 "ball links" on my arm from the carb,as you say,keeps things a sloop free as possible..........

Keep posting..........

Kind regards................Nick.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:55 PM
njmheli

Hi Bob.

Thanks for comment,very "crude" as said,but very accurate.............will probably "super-glue" a small ( new and sharp ) drill bit inside a brass tube, that fits inside the 3mm ID brass tube for the initial drill holes into the sides of the F/W box,when I have aligned up the jig............at least then I will have a "guide" for the next size up drills...??

Those "slotted" heads to adjust the mixture's on the slow and main jets are pretty small...........but the tool supplied does fit very nicely into them,hence my thinking to try and get those "chasers" as close to perfect as I can..? Choke pull on................not a problem,hence the "larger" chase tube,but needed for the threaded end of the tool.

Hope your engine arrives soon,keen to see how it all goes for you.............Will be a little while before I get the 7-77 back on the test stand to see how it will run on petrol for myself......( will have to make another test stand as the 84 won't be off that until it is very nearly run in ).....

Kind regards.................Nick (UK).
Old 03-09-2015, 04:18 AM
njmheli

Hi All.

I have now finished my "fit-out" behind the F/W,so all ready now to bolt the 84, when I have done all my "runnings" with it on the test stand. Below are some photo's of my finished work behind the F/W.
Guess I will now be concentrating on getting the cockpit done,when finished with that will finish off the wiring up of the Rx................

I have decided to go with the cowl that a bought from FIBERGLASS SPECIALITIES ( was going to use it on my T/F Giant Corsair,not yet finished !!! )...........the cowl is shorter than the "stock" cowl......( as mentioned in a post earlier,the stock cowl,in the "real world",shouldn't cover the exhaust stacks )..........the F/S cowl will still cover a little bit of the exhaust stacks,but not as much.The F/S cowl is also larger in diameter,hence "inner diameter larger"... in............I hope the right area,so as I may not have to cut openings for the two rocker covers of the 84.

It also has the "cowl-flaps" set more closed / flusher with the fuzz....( mmmm...less drag / more speed !!!! )....The area of airflow out of the cowl,is not too different from the stock cowl,even as they are closed more........looks like lots of air can exit through the scale exhaust stacks....nice !!!.......I will probably "slit" the cowl flap lines and fiberglass with thin cloth on the inner surface all round the cowl,just to give back a bit of strength after "slitting" ( did that on my H9 P-47 ).I also found that on my exhaust stacks,needed a small spacer behind the outer screw hole,otherewise on tightening down,it would have bent and probably cracked.

Trust all your builds and "mod's" are going well.............

Kind regards...............Nick.

Will try to get all the photo's on this post if I can.............if not will be on the following post.

Name:	CF1.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	2080026   Click image for larger version

Name:	CF2.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	2080027   Click image for larger version

Name:	CF3.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	2080028   Click image for larger version

Name:	CF4.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	2080029   Click image for larger version

Name:	CF5.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	2080030   Click image for larger version

Name:	CF6.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	2080031  
Old 03-09-2015, 04:21 AM
njmheli

More photo's.

Kind regards....................Nick (UK).

Name:	FO1.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	2080033   Click image for larger version

Name:	FO2.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	2080034   Click image for larger version

Name:	FO3.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	2080035   Click image for larger version

Name:	FO4.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	2080036   Click image for larger version

Name:	FO5.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	2080037   Click image for larger version

Name:	FO6.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	2080038   Click image for larger version

Name:	FO7.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	2080039  
Old 03-09-2015, 04:31 AM
njmheli

Hi All.

In the front,to the left of the F/w ( looking down ),I have made a "lipo-box",in hear fits my 3 main lipos,....2 x 3650mA for the Rx supply and 1 x 2150mA for the ignition.The ignition CDi will fit in the battery box ( std area ),next to where the "fueling nozzle" is...........the ignition cut out is fitted on top of the ignition CDi box,wires,then will go straight down to the "lipo box" ? pick up from the 84.....I will need to extend the red ignition led wires,signal lead to Rx and the tacho output from the CDi box....the latter two will be mounted in the cockpit.

Kind regards.................Nick (UK).
Old 03-09-2015, 01:15 PM
Thomas Schultz

Nick

Looks like your project is coming along really nice. Good idea with the use of rubber grommets that should protect the wires and fuel lines.

Nice idea with the jig that looks like a cube, I just might have to make one. Keep up the good work.. Tom
Old 03-09-2015, 05:05 PM
Capt Midnight

Gentlemen...
The Engine is back from Morris', right on time too, as today is my Birthday. Great Birthday present to myself. From, all apparent views after un-boxing and getting rid of the Styrofoam that eroded off the packaging, Morris did an excellent job! More pictures and details to come over the next 2 or 3 days....
Old 03-09-2015, 09:41 PM
mirored
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent

Nick

Looks like your project is coming along really nice. Good idea with the use of rubber grommets that should protect the wires and fuel lines.

Nice idea with the jig that looks like a cube, I just might have to make one. Keep up the good work.. Tom

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.