Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 07:11 PM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Mein Duff.

Also, another note about the Robarts: go over everything several times. Loctite what you can, and make sure everything is snug. I did notice a slight crack in one of the wooden retract rails while inspecting closely. Was easy enough to CA it, then clamp it down. I reinforced the rails with some additional hardwood triangle cut pieces and additional glue. I don't think this would've happened normally if the damn wheel didn't spin around backwards on touchdown - it was a straight landing with some speed to run up on the mains for a bit, and then she let lose and bounced the plane up on its nose and over.

Lastly... I wonder how many people have, or will be having issues with the electric tail wheel actuators. I received a replacement with a new housing... the housing was nice, but the motor died after 3 cycles. Terrible QC on Robart's part, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who can see they aren't the best quality. If I had to only pick one complaint about this plane... the Robarts would be it, though there are certainly some other little complaints but nothing major. Thankfully, I have a selection of replacement motors and parts for the retracts (thanks to good support at least, and free warranty parts).
Old 07-15-2015, 06:38 AM
frisconick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chorner,

Do you have the Robarts with the JR type connectors, or the later version with their proprietary connectors?
Old 07-15-2015, 07:30 AM
chorner

I have the later version, with their proprietary connectors and the latest control box. Set to A type on the box; the issue is with the plastic housing generally speaking. I spoke with Robart about the issue, and advised them on the fact that the plastic housing was prone to breaking and an aluminum casing is definitely required to keep it in one piece. I've got an aluminum housing now, but the new motor that was sent out died on what was probably only the 4th or 5th cycle. I've now determined the cause and will update Robart on it, to make sure it doesn't happen again so easily!

Last edited by chorner; 07-15-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:33 AM
frisconick

I also have the latest Robart electrics for my Ziroli P-47 (just finishing the wing). The tail wheel has the actuator mounted right on it, unlike the Corsair's. The P-47 gear appears to be rock solid.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:26 AM
chorner

I do think that design is much better, for however much more weight it puts in the tail it's a lot more reliable and just a much better setup as a whole vs. the "remote" actuator. That's good to know about the P-47 gear, as I'm building one myself next. Despite the problems with these I do like electric gear the best, and it seems the Robart mains are well designed and sturdy enough as a whole. I will probably go Robart again for my P-47, but after my experience (and one main strut that was delivered 'out of whack' that they promptly sent me another after viewing my pictures) I will for sure have an eye open.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:29 PM
bjohnson80
My Feedback: (63)

Has anybody flown their Corsair with the drop tanks that Horizon sells? I have the tanks and the eflite release, and they are not a very secure setup in my opinion. They wobble around a bunch, and in the air they look like they not parallel with the fuse, and they seem to cause a ton of drag because of this. Curious if anybody else has had experience with the drop tanks.

Mine are installed per the instructions, but maybe I am missing something.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:13 PM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BJ...Somewhere back in this thread somebody had posted a few pics and description of the stabilizing arms they fabricated for the drop tanks...looked fairly light and simple to do.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:12 PM
njmheli

Originally Posted by chorner
Had the chance to maiden yesterday. The plane flew very nice and solid and am quite happy with the 7-77, sounds and runs beautifully in the air. The plane tracks very nicely and doesn't give you any real feeling of "anxiety" on your first flight - just very solid and from my limited flights nicely predictable. Keep the speed up a bit in the corners as you can tell she's heavy, and I found low rates to be too low for any real maneuvers. I actually forgot to switch out of high rates after take off and it felt comfortable on those rates... Though on high rates I always dial I'm about 35% expo but felt nicely linear to me.

Only issue was again with the Robarts. My tail wheel actuator died. And one of the wheels spun around the oleo and cause the plane to bounce up on its back. It happened at slow speed so there was no damage luckily. Make sure to double check those are nice and tight and clean of any sort of oil - seems mine may have gathered some exhaust and allowed it to spin perhaps. I used loctitie and hope it stays put next outing.
Hi Chorner.

Well done on your maiden,bet that was a great feeling for you !!!!

Sorry to hear about the tail wheel actuator............as you have probably seen from a post of mine earlier,decided to "trash" the Robart one and went with the D & L conversion,so,so much better and for me not a problem if I end up having a little more "nose weight" to compensate for the actuator further aft.

Do you know your all up weight...? and did you go for a c of g around 130mm............?

Congrats again on the maiden........

Regards......................Nick (UK).
Old 07-16-2015, 03:17 PM
njmheli

Originally Posted by bjohnson80
Has anybody flown their Corsair with the drop tanks that Horizon sells? I have the tanks and the eflite release, and they are not a very secure setup in my opinion. They wobble around a bunch, and in the air they look like they not parallel with the fuse, and they seem to cause a ton of drag because of this. Curious if anybody else has had experience with the drop tanks.

Mine are installed per the instructions, but maybe I am missing something.

Thanks.
Hi.

Hope these photos may be of help to you.............The "steadies" that I fitted were "sized" for the bombs,but looking at the drop tanks,should work............just got to "adjust" out the "threaded arms" to allow for the bigger dia of the tanks..........should just about fit.

Regards.....................Nick (UK).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BS1.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	2109544   Click image for larger version

Name:	BS2.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	2109545   Click image for larger version

Name:	BS3.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	2109546  
Old 07-19-2015, 08:32 AM
chorner

Hey Nick, thanks!

Definitely a relief to know you can depend on the plane for reliable and predictable flight after so much invested. My AUW is somewhere between 30-31lbs after balancing it at the 130mm mark. I had to add about 4oz of lead in a small box on one side of the firewall to aid in lateral and forward balance. I found it flew great how I had it setup, though I may now add another couple ounces to bring the CG a touch more forward for my liking after tweaking.

Nice, I was pretty disappointed and tempted to ditch the robart actuator myself too. I've got 2 spare motors on hand lol I'll go through those first.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	977.5 KB
ID:	2109934  
Old 07-19-2015, 01:23 PM
higharc

Nick, where did you purchase those tail retracts--the set listed on the Hanger 9 page are silver, not white. Bob
Old 07-20-2015, 09:09 AM
njmheli

Hi Chorner.

Many thanks for your reply and "numbers" on your Corsair.............I see from your attached photo,that the "new" Robart Actuator has the Ali casing,but looks to still have the "old" workings inside !!! Mine was playing up,took at least 3 "flicks" of the gear switch to get the actuator to work,it eventually just made a "click" and that was it,guess the gearbox had jammed or the motor burnt out !!!

So happy with the D & L conversion now ...........

Just doing my decals at the moment,then all finished and ready for her maiden,will do my c of g at 130mm........."Ted62" also I believe has his Corsair at 130mm for his maiden and all appears to have gone well at that setting.

Thanks again............

Regards...................Nick (UK).
Old 07-20-2015, 09:12 AM
njmheli

Originally Posted by higharc
Nick, where did you purchase those tail retracts--the set listed on the Hanger 9 page are silver, not white. Bob
Hi Bob.

The T/W is the std H9 one !!!..................just painted it white,like most of the guys have done.....If you are going electric on the T/W retracts,would advise a "change" of the actuator.?

Regards.....................Nick (UK).
Old 07-20-2015, 09:42 AM
mirored
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by njmheli
Hi Chorner.

Many thanks for your reply and "numbers" on your Corsair.............I see from your attached photo,that the "new" Robart Actuator has the Ali casing,but looks to still have the "old" workings inside !!! Mine was playing up,took at least 3 "flicks" of the gear switch to get the actuator to work,it eventually just made a "click" and that was it,guess the gearbox had jammed or the motor burnt out !!!

So happy with the D & L conversion now ...........

Just doing my decals at the moment,then all finished and ready for her maiden,will do my c of g at 130mm........."Ted62" also I believe has his Corsair at 130mm for his maiden and all appears to have gone well at that setting.

Thanks again............

Regards...................Nick (UK).
Nick,

Are you setting the CG at 130MM with gear up or gear down?

Thanks

Andy
Old 07-20-2015, 10:48 AM
chorner

Mirrored,

I know you asked Nick, but I balanced with gear down between the 2 different ways of balancing the plane I tried. The Horizon team guys/designer of the plane a while back stated he balanced with the gear down, and with the plane "right side up" as I did to reach his balance figures.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:04 AM
mirored

Originally Posted by chorner
Mirrored,

I know you asked Nick, but I balanced with gear down between the 2 different ways of balancing the plane I tried. The Horizon team guys/designer of the plane a while back stated he balanced with the gear down, and with the plane "right side up" as I did to reach his balance figures.
Works for me. I will be checking with the Xicoy CG system which I can do with gear up or down, just much easier with the gear down if the 130mm is meant to be that way.

Andy
Old 07-20-2015, 12:50 PM
njmheli

Originally Posted by mirored
Nick,

Are you setting the CG at 130MM with gear up or gear down?

Thanks

Andy
Hi Andy.

As,already answered,will be aiming for 130mm,gear down and A/C level attitude...........

Regards................Nick (UK).
Old 07-20-2015, 12:57 PM
njmheli

Smile

Hi All.

Just finished off the fuzz ( except for adding "nose weight" under the cowl )..............these are a couple of photo's,excuse the "mess" in the background,will be having a major "garage / workshop" tidy-up as soon as the Corsair is all done !!!

( Oh,I know this type of Corsair may not have been in this scheme..............but I like the colours )

Wings next to decal up !!! mmmmmmm gonna be fun doing..........NOT !!!!

Regards..................Nick (UK).

Name:	v1.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	2110276   Click image for larger version

Name:	v2.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	2110277   Click image for larger version

Name:	v3.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	2110278   Click image for larger version

Name:	v4.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	2110279   Click image for larger version

Name:	v5.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	2110281  
Old 07-20-2015, 01:09 PM
mirored

Originally Posted by njmheli
Hi Andy.

As,already answered,will be aiming for 130mm,gear down and A/C level attitude...........

Regards................Nick (UK).
Got it, thanks Nick. I am anxiously awaiting the new landing gear that I am having custom built by Century Jet. First one off the line should be done today. I will be checking them out and reporting on them. If they are like the others he makes, I will be very impressed. The last pieces I need in order to get this build (well, re-build) complete and ready for a maiden (re-maiden).

Andy
Old 07-21-2015, 03:44 AM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Hi guys,
I'm getting closer to finishing, down to balance and decals. I'm using a G62 with stock muffler and spring starter so it's plenty heavy. The manual indicates that for the g62 they installed they needed 26 oz of weight. I'm looking at more like 48 to get it in the correct CG range.
Just looking for feedback from others who have used the g62, did you need to use that much to balance?
thanks
Toddd
Old 07-21-2015, 12:56 PM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Todd,

I installed the Zenoah ZP62 (electronic ignition) and I needed 4lbs on the nose.

Oriole
Old 07-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd D
Hi guys,
I'm getting closer to finishing, down to balance and decals. I'm using a G62 with stock muffler and spring starter so it's plenty heavy. The manual indicates that for the g62 they installed they needed 26 oz of weight. I'm looking at more like 48 to get it in the correct CG range.
Just looking for feedback from others who have used the g62, did you need to use that much to balance?
thanks
Toddd
That figure seems pretty familiar for the G-62's IIRC. Mine has the big Saito radial, it weighs almost twice what your Zenoah does and it still took 11oz. of lead on the nose to balance.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:35 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Originally Posted by Zeeb
That figure seems pretty familiar for the G-62's IIRC. Mine has the big Saito radial, it weighs almost twice what your Zenoah does and it still took 11oz. of lead on the nose to balance.
Thanks for the feedback guys, moving forward with the weight as need to get in the range.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:18 AM
clover creek

I glassed and painted mine. Used a stock g-62 with spring starter,Bennet mount and, J-Tec wrap around muffler.
Balanced at 130 gear down upright level needed just under 4 pounds of lead.
All up weight of airframe with fuel,,31lbs 14oz's.

Name:	ice corsair 023.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	2110801  
Old 07-23-2015, 06:34 AM
clover creek

I have the same setup as you with the same results results. However, I have an additional problem. I can not get the tanks to drop at any speed greater than half throttle with half flaps deployed and sometimes only one tank will drop.
The system works great on the bench but for some reason in the air at any kind of normal flying speed they won't drop.
I may try to make the "steadies" Nick has come up with to add some kind of tension or spring action.
BTW, the plane doesn't like flying around with one tank!

see you soon,
John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.