Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Old 08-27-2015, 08:09 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fun2fly24
My dad has one with the saito 3cyl radial. It flies great. If only the engine was reliable lol
Tell im to open up the H-needle 1/2 round, for example.

If its an FG-84, maybe even more.

If its an FG-60, it should do it. On the FG-60, it has the same carburator as the FG-33; You can thread a pianowire into the H-screw, and fasten it with a set screw.

Makes it easier to adjust if the pianowire is accessible from outside the cowl....

Both my FG-60 and FG-84 are ultra-reliable. They are the most reliable engines I've ever had.

Last edited by kwik; 08-27-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:03 PM
mirored
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received the landing gear from Century Jet and had to send them back for modifications to fit properly. Bruce corrected everything n short order and is sending them back, should have them early next week. With what I have seen in the pictures, they should fit just fine and I might be ready for a maiden sometime soon. Once I get them in and working, I will send out a report on them. This is the first set and I am helping to get them right for him to produce for others. Hopefully this will turn out to be a good source for another great set of retracts that fall into the original mounting holes. More to follow, with video and pictures perhaps.

Andy
Old 08-30-2015, 07:12 PM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all, figured I'd add some photos of my Corsair and latest updates.

First off, I received a brand-new set of Robart Electric retracts. Long story short, the new ones have much better tolerances and there's a slightly updated design with more bracing on the main strut (non-rotating part), the colour has changed on the mounting frames -not sure if this means a change in materials at all-, and it seems to be a newer revision of the electric actuators. I'm crossing my fingers this is the last of my retract issues; one thing is for certain, Robart customer service is great... not that I want to use it so often however.

Secondly, I could no longer stand any of the Spektrum *garbage*; poor QC, terribly low resolution especially on the Xplus 8 expansion causing really jittery gear door operation, and overall choppy performance when all the channels are loaded up. Spektrum stuff is great for low channel requirements, and if you can't tell the difference between a plastic piece of **** and a well built radio lol (rant over....). The range issue recall on my DX18 was the final straw on the camels back. I wanted to move into a high-end radio, and went for the new JR 28x. I have to say... what a HUGE difference. Every last corner of the radio is made with a purpose, and very high quality materials and construction inside and out. You really can't appreciate how nice it is until you spend a week with one. It's awesome... definitely worth the money and will last a long time.

With the transmitter change, also came a complete overhaul of my radio gear inside the plane. The Xbus hub system is excellent. I'm very impressed, and once finished will really clean up my wiring as well as IMO providing more reliable performance and redundancy without going overkill. I re-did my cockpit panel switch with HD deans connectors, and did a one-over on the entire plane making little tweaks etc. and tried to lighten the plane wherever possible. Also, the gear sequencing on this radio is miles ahead of the DX18 - not to mention the gear doors are actually smooth now unlike the **** 512 resolution and huge 80ms delays with the Spektrum crap. All in all, I've got the gear and gear door sequencing running buttery smooth now.

.... going to be awesome plane to fly (...again), and especially happy with the new radio gear. Haven't flown yet with the new setup, but judging by the control feel, accuracy, resolution and response of the new setup on my Extra 300 I also converted over... it's going to be even better!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0757.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	2117547   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0749.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	2117548   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0671.JPG
Views:	834
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	2117549  
Old 08-30-2015, 07:29 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I just re-maidened mine today. Originally had a EME 55 which just wasn't enough for me. Put the EME 70 in it and wow, what a difference. This is defintely no topflite lightweight warbird though. I've got to weigh it, but it has to be very bit of 30 + lbs.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:25 AM
mirored
My Feedback: (1)

Chorner,

Glad you are much happier now. It is amazing how different one feels with something as simple as a transmitter/radio system change can make. I went a different route three years ago, away from Spektrum, to Futaba only to repeat bad performance. I finally went to Jeti and will never look back. One awesome radio system and it fits me and my flying/programming style. Not to say it's better, you found what is good for you, I simply enjoy my radio. Now, get my landing gear here this week (hopefully) and I will be ready to shake down the plane and maybe get a maiden in sometime soon, before summer is over.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:37 AM
higharc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just balanced mine upright at 127mm back from leading edge with wheels up. Will be somewhat nose heavy with wheels down and fuel. I am trying to make sure it will not be in anyway tail heavy. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:52 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by chorner
Hey all, figured I'd add some photos of my Corsair and latest updates.

First off, I received a brand-new set of Robart Electric retracts. Long story short, the new ones have much better tolerances and there's a slightly updated design with more bracing on the main strut (non-rotating part), the colour has changed on the mounting frames -not sure if this means a change in materials at all-, and it seems to be a newer revision of the electric actuators. I'm crossing my fingers this is the last of my retract issues; one thing is for certain, Robart customer service is great... not that I want to use it so often however.

Secondly, I could no longer stand any of the Spektrum *garbage*; poor QC, terribly low resolution especially on the Xplus 8 expansion causing really jittery gear door operation, and overall choppy performance when all the channels are loaded up. Spektrum stuff is great for low channel requirements, and if you can't tell the difference between a plastic piece of **** and a well built radio lol (rant over....). The range issue recall on my DX18 was the final straw on the camels back. I wanted to move into a high-end radio, and went for the new JR 28x. I have to say... what a HUGE difference. Every last corner of the radio is made with a purpose, and very high quality materials and construction inside and out. You really can't appreciate how nice it is until you spend a week with one. It's awesome... definitely worth the money and will last a long time.

With the transmitter change, also came a complete overhaul of my radio gear inside the plane. The Xbus hub system is excellent. I'm very impressed, and once finished will really clean up my wiring as well as IMO providing more reliable performance and redundancy without going overkill. I re-did my cockpit panel switch with HD deans connectors, and did a one-over on the entire plane making little tweaks etc. and tried to lighten the plane wherever possible. Also, the gear sequencing on this radio is miles ahead of the DX18 - not to mention the gear doors are actually smooth now unlike the **** 512 resolution and huge 80ms delays with the Spektrum crap. All in all, I've got the gear and gear door sequencing running buttery smooth now.

.... going to be awesome plane to fly (...again), and especially happy with the new radio gear. Haven't flown yet with the new setup, but judging by the control feel, accuracy, resolution and response of the new setup on my Extra 300 I also converted over... it's going to be even better!

I'm also using an Xport Duo in my Corsair, what receiver are you using?
Old 09-03-2015, 03:51 AM
chorner

Mirrored, nice! Definitely I agree one piece of equipment change can make a difference, especially something like a radio you're physically holding in your hands as your link to the model. Heard everything positive about the Jeti system from whoever has mentioned it.

Camss I'm using the 712BX with it; what came with the radio. I was able to obtain 16 channels out of the setup by reassigning a couple ports on the Xport - I could've reassigned all 7 shared channels I'm sure and bumped it higher if was needed etc. as I've got some items plugged into the main receiver directly and the rest on the Xport. What're you using?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:06 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm using the Xport Duo with the Infinity receiver and my XG11 transmitter. Funny I took a similar picture for a build thread I'm doing on another forum. I have a question for you about the Xport Duo, have you figured out how to reset a single servo setup for xbus? So if you were going to replace a servo you had setup with xbus you would want to basically reset that port before installing the new servo... Have you figured it a way to do that? If you want to PM me so we don't get the thread too far off topic..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2118009  
Old 09-04-2015, 08:04 AM
affas

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice plane and a great flyer with my Saito fg 84 but all plastic parts is garbage, all wheel doors, hatces etc is totally crap. Sad to see H9 selects poor material in a else good plane
Old 09-04-2015, 08:31 AM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

+1 on that
Old 09-04-2015, 08:37 AM
chorner

Originally Posted by camss69
I'm using the Xport Duo with the Infinity receiver and my XG11 transmitter. Funny I took a similar picture for a build thread I'm doing on another forum. I have a question for you about the Xport Duo, have you figured out how to reset a single servo setup for xbus? So if you were going to replace a servo you had setup with xbus you would want to basically reset that port before installing the new servo... Have you figured it a way to do that? If you want to PM me so we don't get the thread too far off topic..
Camss, nice! Your writing and organization on paper is surely a lot nicer than what I threw up lol

We can chat via PM too, but at least in the 28x if I am understanding your question correctly... there's a menu on the 28x that allows you to switch between saving/resetting a state on a single servo, to allow you to "re-set" the channel, and ID associated with the port... or, provides a visual listing of all 14 ports simultaneously and allows you to switch/re-assign/re-set the ports either back to defaults, or to new settings for each individual port from 1 thru 14. I can take some photos for you and PM if interested? Not sure if that's too much help if we're running it through different radios however?
Old 09-08-2015, 02:07 PM
Mein Duff

Great info on the JR 28x and Spektrum DX 18 comparison !...
I was leaning towards getting the DX18 because of the sequencing aspect but the "funky resolution" aspect now has me thinking. But I definitely can not afford the JR 28x...still have my JR 9303 9 channel and was wondering if you guys think getting the JR Propo X-buss rendundant system would give me adequate channels to operate all the gear doors and flaps etc. ??
Not sure how to handle the sequencing factor...as I'm pretty sure my 5 yr old JR 9303 doesn't have that option...
Any comments or tips appreciated ...
Old 09-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well you're going to need some additional electronics to the point that buying another radio might be cheaper and provide fewer possible failure points. I switched to Futaba a couple of years ago when JR had failed to come up with a replacement for my trusty 12X and I needed more channels and functionality.

Basically I left all my gassers that were on the 12X along with one turbine, on the 12X. I converted my Pattern planes to the Futaba 18MZ and it's really quite a radio but in the same price range as the JR 28X, in fact it's a bit more. I also put all my new models including the Pattern models and three turbines to the 18MZ.

So what's the point of me talking to you about a $3000.00 radio? Futaba has released a new radio called the 18SZ which has most of the functionality of the 18MZ including the ability to use the Sbus and Sbus2 systems which are similar to JR's much ballyhooed system but Futaba was the first to deploy such a system. They are also finally releasing a "PowerSafe" type rx similar to what chorner has shown and it is Sbus compatible. Bear in mind that this is also a fully telemetry capable system.

The 18SZ is about 1/3 the price of the 18MZ and should be available next month at $1099.99 less whatever Tower coupon you might use;

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFKLN&P=ML

The new R7018SB rx should be available in a week or so and its $249.99 again less any Tower coupons;

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFKLN&P=ML

For what it's worth; my Corsair is setup on my DX-18QQ, my builder and his friend have their two Corsairs setup on DX-18's as well.

You COULD go the PE route but I suspect that will cost almost as much as new radio gear and not work nearly as well. Good luck on whatever you decide.....
Old 09-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Todd D

Originally Posted by Mein Duff
I was leaning towards getting the DX18 because of the sequencing aspect but the "funky resolution" aspect now has me thinking. But I definitely can not afford the JR 28x...still have my JR 9303 9 channel and was wondering if you guys think getting the JR Propo X-buss rendundant system would give me adequate channels to operate all the gear doors and flaps etc. ??
Not sure how to handle the sequencing factor...as I'm pretty sure my 5 yr old JR 9303 doesn't have that option...
If you're looking for an option to sequence the gear and doors and don't have a radio that will do that try the Jomar gear door sequencer, I have them on two planes including the Corsair and they both work great. Cost about $35, very reliable and have some flexibility to adjust the timing. I fly Futaba 8fg, but I know of a couple of guys that fly the Spektrum 18 that have some very expensive planes on them and they seem to be just fine for them.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:23 PM
chorner

Not familiar enough with the JR 9303 to know your receiver options but personally, DSM2 can no longer hold up that well to strongly 2.4Ghz saturated areas. For me, I wouldn't go that route if you could avoid it. Seems a waste to "invest" further in that radio system as well.

Generally speaking, the DX18 isn't bad - compared to the JR 28x (comparatively speaking) it makes the DX18 feel like *crap*. The DX18 is a value product through and through. However, DSMX is perfectly good from a signal reliability standpoint.

In in my opinion, as mentioned by zeeb I'd go the new Futaba SZ route over the DX18 any day, and the Sbus option is nice. With the new receiver setup as also mentioned, it's a good option. It's placed at a good price point, and far better quality all around than anything you'd find in any Spektrum option.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:08 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Originally Posted by Mein Duff

I've purchased a DX18 Gen2 for mine. My buddy bought a Jeti and found the 4 of 5 pilots at Top Gun were flying the DX18 just because it is easier and it gets the job done without a degree in programming. He's selling his Jeti.
i have not had any of the quality issues referenced by others so I'm happy with my talking DX18.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:19 AM
Mein Duff

That's all great food for thought guys..Thanks sooo much for commenting...gives me lots to research and options to consider that are less expensive than JR 28X.....
Zeeb= Question...do you know if the new Futaba 18 SZ...has gear door sequencing...or is that not so important?
Love this forum !
Old 09-09-2015, 08:16 AM
chorner

Mein Duff, the 18SZ should be able to program your sequence no problem as the 14MZ and 18MZ can as well.

The Futaba method seems/is a bit more complicated than the JR 28x, and Spektrum DX18 - which I can tell you are very easy to program. But like the JR 28x, the Futaba radio will give you much more precision and full control of the up and down timing, and gear door speed. At least with the JR option, you can control servo speed within the first half of the motion in either direction, linked to switch/gear position, as well as the second half. So you can have the door open really quickly to move out of the way of the gear for the first let's say 1/2" of operation, and the last bit of travel slows down until maximum travel either opened or closed. Really quite good! I imagine using the Futaba system you could obtain similar results.

Zeeb knows more about sequencing on the 18MZ than I do of course, but I know that its definitely capable of eliminating the need for a separate sequencer device.The Futaba 18SZ/MZ will give you 16 fully proportional channels, and 2 switched channels (either on or off).

The "problem" again with the DX18 stuff, is if you want smooth motion on your gear doors "forget about it" unless you just want them to swing open at full servo speed, and swing closed at full servo speed - which for some guys is perfectly fine. Then the 512 resolution doesn't matter at all and is up to the servo entirely. As soon as you go past 9 channels using the 9020 receiver, you're into using Xbus with the high latency response times and 512 resolution which is pretty jumpy at best - so don't put anything that matters on these channels. The "Spektrum guys" will give you reasons why this works OK and how they have algorithms that help hide the latency and update servos used more frequently on the Xbus expansion... but to me it's just clearly pointing out limitations. However, it will give you a total of 17/18 proportional channels -half at 512 res and higher latency- if that matters more to you than say 16 fully proportional (full resolution, and same latency across the board) like on the Futaba radio.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:11 PM
djohnson

Mein,
i have the DX18 in my Corsair, my cousin has the same. I have put it in for another guy. There is no problems with these radios. To comment on the net is like throwing stuff out for everyone's opinion and what they have is really the best. I put Zeebs install in for him and again no issues. I fly this radio on my IMAC, Jets, other pattern and U.S. A good radio. I used to fly the JR 12x and loved it but the programming is so easy on the DX18- is really us a good radio. How many channels do you really need 2048 resolution ? A radio is bought for its performance , service and longevity ant the Spektrum you can keep downloading need updates as they change things for the better.
Dan-- St George, Ut
Old 09-10-2015, 04:22 AM
chorner

Johnson, I own both radios. It's an educated opinion. For the price point the DX18 is perfectly good, but there are better options if you can afford better quality then you should do so.

In case you hadn't noticed:
- screen quality on the DX18 is poor. Try scrolling and watch the screen you'll see what I mean
- the roller wheel on mine would skip a notch often, same finding on my DX9 (I've owned and tried many radios - most of them Spektrum like a lot of us get trapped into thinking is the best option, which is how I have an accurate basis for comparison)
- plasticy feeling gimbals with poor centring. Also found mine needed multiple calibrations to accurately reach full throws between -100 to +100. I'm obviously more picky than most
- the limitations I've previously mentioned
- internal circuitry is cheaper 'Chinese quality'. Compare it to Futaba or high end JR. It can't compare.

On the positive, the DX18 software/menu system is extremely quick and easy to get going with. It's simple and to the point.

Being honest about the radio, not just spewing garbage. This is why so many have a Spektrum radio and they can put out something they label "pro class" with plasticy sloppy gimbals and switches/dials and people claim its amazing. Pretty sad actually.

Last edited by chorner; 09-10-2015 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:57 AM
bjohnson80
My Feedback: (63)

Originally Posted by Todd D
If you're looking for an option to sequence the gear and doors and don't have a radio that will do that try the Jomar gear door sequencer, I have them on two planes including the Corsair and they both work great. Cost about $35, very reliable and have some flexibility to adjust the timing. I fly Futaba 8fg, but I know of a couple of guys that fly the Spektrum 18 that have some very expensive planes on them and they seem to be just fine for them.
I have the gear doors into a matchbox to get them centered and to open correctly. Matchbox to an open channel. Changed the servo speed on the matchbox channel so doors opened quickly, and closed very slowly. Then mixed that channel to the gear switch. The doors are open by the time the gear comes down, and when you really slow the "up" side of the doors, the gear is retracted in plenty of time for the doors to close. Works great. And thats with a JR9503, so the 9303 should do the exact same thing.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:52 PM
Todd D

Originally Posted by bjohnson80
I have the gear doors into a matchbox to get them centered and to open correctly. Matchbox to an open channel. Changed the servo speed on the matchbox channel so doors opened quickly, and closed very slowly. Then mixed that channel to the gear switch. The doors are open by the time the gear comes down, and when you really slow the "up" side of the doors, the gear is retracted in plenty of time for the doors to close. Works great. And thats with a JR9503, so the 9303 should do the exact same thing.
Cool, there's another option to consider, matchboxes work well. Certainly don't need to buy a whole new radio just to get gear door sequencing on this plane.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Mein Duff

Very interesting, sounding better all the time...I really need to sit down and layout a schematic to see if the matchbooks will take care of the extra channels for what I exactly need.
I would love a new high end Futaba and I am sure there is a very tangible quality difference as Chorner points out...but being recently retired leads me to justify any extra expense I don't really need..I just have way too many costly hobbies in general..but building and flying are my main passions.
Still need to get engine, retracts, servos...blah blah blah...so saving on not needing buying a new tranny will help me out.
The DX 18 sound like a good reasonable option if my JR 9303 gets too complicated with all the matchbooks and adding potential weak links in the system.
Thanks all you guys for the great feedback and discussion !
Old 09-11-2015, 04:00 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

You have no idea how much easier it is to do with an 18 than messing with all that nonsense

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.