Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 05:34 PM
Ted62
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnVH
Wondering what engine it has?
Old 10-25-2015, 05:44 PM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ted62
Wondering what engine it has?
Saito 84 3 cylinder radial on gas
Old 10-25-2015, 06:59 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well it's the big Saito gasser alright but it doesn't have the Keleo exhaust, nor does it have, from what it sounds like to me on the transitions, the Ray English engine mods which, IMHO, are well worth the price.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:59 AM
Sekhet
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by edge_pilot
Saito 84 3 cylinder radial on gas
If you read the description it says it is a Saito FG-60R3 60cc 3-Cylinder Gas Radial
Old 10-26-2015, 06:07 AM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's an FG-84, the guy who took the video got the engine wrong. You can tell by the heatsinks between the cylinders that it is an FG84.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:17 AM
Sekhet
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by chorner
It's an FG-84, the guy who took the video got the engine wrong. You can tell by the heatsinks between the cylinders that it is an FG84.
I stand corrected, up on closer inspection I must concur that it is in fact a Saito 84 3 cylinder radial. oops!
Old 10-26-2015, 06:39 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys, Ill fix the description, wasnt my plane.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:39 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Originally Posted by JohnVH
Thanks guys, Ill fix the description, wasnt my plane.
OK, got some more flights on the Corsair this weekend with the 22X10 prop on the G62. The engine is handling the prop just fine and the plane is moving around well. But, yet another problem with the tail gear. This time the shock strut fell out. It came loose from both the gear side (large trunnion) and small side where it hooks to the gear for actuation. This is a bit frustrating with the gear just falling apart, second time some thing has fallen off of it. I'm going to call Horizon and discuss.
Be forewarned once again, if you dont want your tail gear to fall apart, take it apart and locktite all the threaded parts before stuff falls off.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:29 AM
chorner

Todd, have you tried replacing the spring to something softer, and used a soft tail Wheel? The stock stuff are both hard as a rock. I changed mine and no problem since (plus loctite)
Old 10-27-2015, 12:21 PM
Todd D

Todd, have you tried replacing the spring to something softer, and used a soft tail Wheel? The stock stuff are both hard as a rock. I changed mine and no problem since (plus loctite)
I guess I really don't have an issue with how stiff it is, just that is falls apart.

Good news story is that Horizon has them in stock and is sending me a replacement. I will disassemble and locktite everything before it goes in the plane though.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:18 PM
chorner

Todd, if you connect the dots you'd see the stiffness has something to do with it falling apart.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:05 PM
Todd D

Todd, if you connect the dots you'd see the stiffness has something to do with it falling apart.
Chroner, not sure I follow what you're saying, please elaborate.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:33 PM
chorner

... the stiffness, is a major cause of the tailwheel unit falling apart. By softening it up, as well as the tailwheel you reduce quantity of sudden load on the stress points which tend to loosen themselves up. I.E - vibration, and direct load on a stiff metal bracket will tend to vibrate lose any connections made with screws, nuts, bolts etc. For the same reason you want to loctite any metal to metal connection in general. To reduce stress on the frame, and hence shock unit - just like in a car, you provide dampening, or a way to soften and disperse some of that load into other components.

Soften/replace the spring, and use a soft "low bounce" rubber tailwheel, plus some loctite and a little grease on the piston of the shock unit - and you won't see any more issues with it falling apart. In this case, these items are too firm - and not absorbing enough of the load.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:05 PM
Todd D

... the stiffness, is a major cause of the tailwheel unit falling apart. By softening it up, as well as the tailwheel you reduce quantity of sudden load on the stress points which tend to loosen themselves up. I.E - vibration, and direct load on a stiff metal bracket will tend to vibrate lose any connections made with screws, nuts, bolts etc. For the same reason you want to loctite any metal to metal connection in general. To reduce stress on the frame, and hence shock unit - just like in a car, you provide dampening, or a way to soften and disperse some of that load into other components.

Soften/replace the spring, and use a soft "low bounce" rubber tailwheel, plus some loctite and a little grease on the piston of the shock unit - and you won't see any more issues with it falling apart. In this case, these items are too firm - and not absorbing enough of the load.

OK I would tend to agree with your theory for the most part. But I received my replacement tail wheel assembly today and right away I took the shock absorber apart, by hand. No tools needed to remove any of the threaded fittings. I think if they at least put locktite on the fittings that would solve the problem of that thing falling apart over time. Although, once disassembled I noted the ugly spring you mentioned. The one that looks like crunchy chee-too in the photo. So I ran to the hardware store to dig through their springs and found one that will work much better. It is softer and the whole thing will have locktite applied when being reassembled. Thanks for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0346[1].JPG
Views:	598
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	2128321  
Old 10-29-2015, 04:14 PM
chorner

Should hold together better now for sure. Definitely no loctite used from the factory, and of course the main reason it falls apart so quickly - the stock spring is terrible isn't it?
Old 10-29-2015, 04:34 PM
Todd D

Should hold together better now for sure. Definitely no loctite used from the factory, and of course the main reason it falls apart so quickly - the stock spring is terrible isn't it?
I don't want to bash Horizon as they did stand behind the purchase with a replacement but I agree that spring leaves little to be desired.
Standard thought process for any manufacturer who runs a quality program would be to correct those things after they are discovered, but maybe the hobby industry is a little different where the product has a relatively short shelf life, there's really no point to making improvements when the next bright shiny object is already in the pipeline.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Mein Duff

I'm feeling disillusioned about the landing gear and tail wheel assemblies....sounds by the experiences so far on this thread that they are less than desired quality in general.
Has anybody tried to find a replacement system that might work ?? Sierra ??...before I shell out $600 soon for the whole system.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:51 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mein Duff
I'm feeling disillusioned about the landing gear and tail wheel assemblies....sounds by the experiences so far on this thread that they are less than desired quality in general.
Has anybody tried to find a replacement system that might work ?? Sierra ??...before I shell out $600 soon for the whole system.
I have the Sierra gear and posted pics about it earlier in the thread. I'm still in the process of building mine so I don't have any flight reports on it but the gear are solid.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:58 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Originally Posted by Mein Duff

I went through all this myself. I originally bought the first Robart gear offered. Just while testing on the bench I broke both of the mains. After many, many phone calls and emails with Horizon and Robart they kinda confessed to the situation. At first Robart were sending these retracts out to be built for them. (I think china, my personal opinion) after all the problems and issues they decided to bring them back into Robart and manufacture them here. I now have the generation 2 gear in my plane, complete. The actuators and control box all changed with the generation 2. I don't see as much if any plastic anymore, they are all aluminum. So far so good on the new set, If I were to buy new I believe I would now go with Robart and the Gen 2 retracts.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:13 PM
youngguy
My Feedback: (7)

For what its worth, I have 25 flights on mine with Robart air operated mains and the Hanger 9 tail wheel. No gear issue at all with the mains. The tail wheel failed after about 5 flights. As suggested in a earlier post, put in a softer spring and Lock Tite and it appears to be fine. Enjoying this airplane, really nice flying and easy to land using the suggested flap throws. Almost trainer like.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:36 PM
AV8ATOR
My Feedback: (5)

If you purchase a new Saito FG84 radial. Does it still have to be sent out to Ray English, for him to do the mod?
Old 11-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Originally Posted by AV8ATOR
If you purchase a new Saito FG84 radial. Does it still have to be sent out to Ray English, for him to do the mod?
yes
Old 11-03-2015, 09:12 PM
AV8ATOR
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by fly2xs
yes
thanks
Old 11-04-2015, 07:21 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AV8ATOR
Yes and he also has the Keleo exhaust rings, easier to get one from him than it is Kelvin (Keleo).
Old 11-04-2015, 10:42 AM
Mein Duff

Originally Posted by youngguy
For what its worth, I have 25 flights on mine with Robart air operated mains and the Hanger 9 tail wheel. No gear issue at all with the mains. The tail wheel failed after about 5 flights. As suggested in a earlier post, put in a softer spring and Lock Tite and it appears to be fine. Enjoying this airplane, really nice flying and easy to land using the suggested flap throws. Almost trainer like.
Thanks for the input guys....things are sounding better...also I haven't researched Camms69 Sierra install on this thread yet ( BTW what # post Nrs. are you referring to Camms69, this is a long thread !!! ?? )..
Wondering if a lot of retrofitting is required with the Sierra's ..can teh original gear doors be used ? etc.
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.