Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:10 AM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Figured I'd share my latest 'upgrade' I've made. Actually switched all of my planes over to the RotoFlow tanks, as I'm tired of clunks getting stuck, fuel tube expanding inside the tank, stoppers needing to be replaced etc. etc. wanted a better tank setup that required a bit less maintenance, as well as a bit more capacity than the stock tank.

I've been able to fit a 24oz RotoFlow tank in my plane, with only a slight cutout in the front of the firewall to pass the breather tube through. The tip of the tank (fuel nipple, leading to carb) sticks through the hole in the centre of the firewall. I had to adjust the "floor" where the tank is mounted, by creating some spacer blocks to drop the tank lower, to be inline with the centre point of the firewall. Doing this, also clears the forward servo mount beam with the back of the tank.

Just barely fit! But she fits, and gives a bit more runtime and ... well the benefits of the RotoFlow tank.

Happy with the setup now!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0848.JPG
Views:	711
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2129816  

Last edited by chorner; 11-09-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:57 PM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Todd D
OK, got some more flights on the Corsair this weekend with the 22X10 prop on the G62. The engine is handling the prop just fine and the plane is moving around well. But, yet another problem with the tail gear. This time the shock strut fell out. It came loose from both the gear side (large trunnion) and small side where it hooks to the gear for actuation. This is a bit frustrating with the gear just falling apart, second time some thing has fallen off of it. I'm going to call Horizon and discuss.
Be forewarned once again, if you dont want your tail gear to fall apart, take it apart and locktite all the threaded parts before stuff falls off.
Todd...I believe you mentioned that you were running the original G-62 Muffler ( which I don't have ) it seems that the G-62 stock muffler just has slots/louvers in the side for the exhaust gas to escape.
Just wondering how you ( if you did ) redirected the exhaust to outside? Did you braze extension tubing to the stock muffler and seal up the slots?
Old 11-10-2015, 05:58 AM
stuka
My Feedback: (62)

I have just finished reading this entire thread. I thank all the guys for the valuable info. I have one and plan to start this weekend. I will be using a G 62 and pnuematic gear. I am still tossing around the two flap servo installation.

How are the single servo guys installed holding up?

Should I just do the two servo set up from the beginning?

What servos are you guys using on the two servo set up?

Has anybody in the states sourced the better yoke for the Robart retracts or has anybody had the need to change them?

For the guy that is using the Century Jet gear. I hope you have better luck with his electric gear than I did. We went through three sets of gears and two driver boards and never did get a set to work reliably.

Last edited by stuka; 11-13-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:20 AM
youngguy
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stuka

How are the single servo guys installed holding up?
25 flights with a single flap servo and no issues. Changed the linkage to two 4-40 rods directly from the servo arm to the flap horns (with ball links at the servo as well). Didn't like the yoke suggested for the flap linkage. Also, I'd rather have a single servo fail on flaps then have one fail on a dual servo set up. I've had this happen on one of my jets and it isn't fun.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:25 AM
Mein Duff

Stuka.. I am just getting mine underway also and have also decided on air retracts as well, as well as the G-62 engine.
I think the two servo set-up on flaps is almost unanimous from experiences I've read...just too much binding / friction for one servo to deal with.
Hitec 645's are very popular, powerful and reasonably priced...I have used them for years on many large scale birds...never an issue.
I have found the yoke upgrade manufacturer ( mentioned in this thread somewhere ) and will re-post that info. later today....
Old 11-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Mein Duff

This is the Robart 150 yoke upgrade linky..
http://www.belairkits.com/detail.asp?id=697
Old 11-10-2015, 09:22 AM
stuka

Youngguy,
Can you post a picture of your flap set up if it is not too much trouble. Thanks

I wonder if there is a US distributor for that yoke?
Old 11-11-2015, 07:39 AM
dubd

I finally made an engine decision for the Corsair. Saito FG-84 on order and is being sent directly to Ray English. Big thanks to Fred (Condor060) for getting me up to speed on the engine updates before I placed the order. Also ordered the Keleo engine box to make installation easier. Looking forward to starting the assembly.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:06 AM
youngguy

Youngguy,
Can you post a picture of your flap set up if it is not too much trouble. Thanks

Give me a few days. Need to take it out of storage and disassemble the model. It's a very simple setup using a single Savox servo and has done well on the 25 flights to this point. Just really get off on those big flaps, in profile coming in on final, doing touch and goes.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Thomas Schultz

Here's a video of me flying my Corsair yesterday.

Tom

https://youtu.be/Y2j90CbjUIM
Old 11-12-2015, 11:25 AM
youngguy

Youngguy,

Here is a photo of the single Savox 1270TG used for the flaps on my Corsair. Push rods are made up from steel welding rod that I thread myself. Seems to be working very well but is a little more difficult to adjust then a two servo setup would be.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	2130257  

Last edited by youngguy; 11-12-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:42 AM
chorner

Nice idea for a better setup youngguy. I definitely agree on the benefit of 1 servo when having the servo fail on the flaps, and driving both sides so you don't have any kind of unwanted roll in case of failure. The main benefit to two servos, is that you can really fine tune the endpoints on each to have as close to dead on 100% equal throws as possible. If you use high quality servos, it shouldn't really be an issue with 1 or 2.

Be interested to know how much strain is put on a single servo controlling both flaps on this plane
Old 11-12-2015, 01:16 PM
youngguy

I guess the only way one could measure strain would be to some how get a amp reading while in flight and putting down the flaps for a landing. with the existing set up, the amp draw is less than .5 with no load on the flaps and the flaps drop with just gravity when disconnected from the servo. I don't remember exactly what it was when I set the flaps up, but I usually put a meter on all my servos during setup to ensure there is nothing unusal happening to put excessive load on the servos or just to make sure the servo is not drawing more current than average. If anyone has some ideas on this point, I would be more than happy to hear them.
I agree the that setting equal throws using a single servo is more difficult and getting the right amount of throw is also a little more difficult during setup. I must have been lucky in this case because I had no trim change in flight for the various flap settings. I was prepared to adjust the aileron trim using flight conditions based on the flap settings but didn't have to. Different story for the elevator trim which required some minor adjustments, to suit my requirements, from the recommended settings.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:34 PM
jonyfever
My Feedback: (5)

are you guys using the recomended throws for all flight controlls do the flaps really need 2 3/4 inches of throw i have the esm corsair also and they are recomending 1 3/4 inch whatthrows are you using youngguns and did u balance with gear up or down . once again h9 recomends gear down esm recomens gear up wow
Old 11-12-2015, 09:55 PM
youngguy

Balanced with the gear down and I am using the recommended flap settings. They seem to be right for this model if you keep some power on until just prior to touch down. I am always suprised at how easy this model is to land at over 30 lbs.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:21 AM
stuka

Youngguy,
Thanks for taking the time to post the picture helps a lot.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:08 PM
jeffEE

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its the same old Gear up/Gear down CG question. Hellcats, Corsairs, P-40, etc. I thought it was gear up to balance, as this led to a nose heavy set up at landing. If you balance with gear down, won't your Corsair become tail heavy during flight? Or its not that big of a deal with a 30 lbs airframe? Yours flies well so perhaps I have been wrong in the way I balanced my Yellow Aircraft P-40s. ( I am wrong a LOT! Just ask my wife )
Old 11-13-2015, 08:44 PM
chorner

I would assume Hangar 9 gave a CG point to balance on based on gear being in whatever position they decided to base the CG target on? In this case, with the gear being down.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:36 PM
bladebender

Been reading this thread for a long time thanks for all the info
Old 11-14-2015, 05:26 PM
Mein Duff

Has anybody tried the basic Robart 150 landing gear for this model around $400 for a set as opposed to over $900 for the set they make for the H9 corsair ??
Is there any major difference in quality of functionality?
Old 11-14-2015, 10:11 PM
youngguy

I am using the 150's with Robart wheels. I orignally purchased them for the TF P-40 which met an untimely end. They work just fine. I don't know anything about the Hanger 9 gear.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:32 PM
dubd

Originally Posted by Mein Duff
Has anybody tried the basic Robart 150 landing gear for this model around $400 for a set as opposed to over $900 for the set they make for the H9 corsair ??
Is there any major difference in quality of functionality?
Where are you seeing $900 retracts?
Old 11-15-2015, 08:43 AM
Mein Duff

Originally Posted by dubd
Where are you seeing $900 retracts?
Horizon's website has the Robart gear for the Hangar 9 ( specially made for this corsair, heavy duty )...@ $459 per piece !! so a set is =$918 plus tax..."chatted" with them yesterday... So I am looking at the Robart #150 model instead @ $400 for a set
Old 11-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Sekhet
My Feedback: (1)

Horizon's website has the Robart gear for the Hangar 9 ( specially made for this corsair, heavy duty )...@ $459 per piece !! so a set is =$918 plus tax..."chatted" with them yesterday... So I am looking at the Robart #150 model instead @ $400 for a set
Thats $459.99 for the set of mains (air)
Old 11-15-2015, 08:58 AM
dubd

I'm pretty sure you get two mains got $459. Mine haven't arrived yet, so I can't confirm. The electric Robart gear I purchased for a TF giant scale P-47 included 2 for $459. Can't see why the Corsair would be any different. Can someone confirm?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.