Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Old 01-15-2016, 04:59 AM
slo642

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much flight time do you get with the FG 84 on the 22ox tank that comes with the kit
Old 01-18-2016, 05:24 AM
Jeff Hendricks
My Feedback: (3)

I received my Saito from Ray. Very nice work. I went with the Kelo exhaust. Has anyone modified the exhaust so the exhaust exits in the scale location of the cowl ? Maybe a T fitting of some kind off the Kelo feeding the 2 exhaust ports ?
Old 01-18-2016, 08:03 AM
Chris Nicastro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Hi everyone,

Well I read all 90 pages before asking any questions and now I cant remember what my original question was!!!

Is there a Solo prop that will work on the Saito FG84 in this plane?

Thanks in advance,
Yes, the 12mm insert is used and the hub will fit the stock engine. I have check fit a Solo hub on the 84. If you have the drive hub drilled for the 30mm 4 bolt pattern you can use one of the tapped holes to make a drive pin for the hub. I'm planning to drill a single pin hole in the back of the hub, there lots of material in the hub to do this.
I'm planning on testing 24 inch blades to see how the engine handles it.
Top it off with Solo's scale hub.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:35 PM
CaptRKO

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finishing up my 60cc Mustang......(still a huge Corsair and love my 60cc Corsair) was curious as to how the Robart Electric gear is doing these days? I would like to convert mine over to electric....have about 100 flights on my bird now! Still going strong, although I do loose a Canopy now and then....

Probably order another Corsair just in case it gets discontinued!
Old 01-29-2016, 09:31 PM
CaptRKO

One more thing to add.....flew my Corsair again today. Everything is working great, I read a few posts ago a guy complaining the bird is a hangar queen....while it take some time to get everything set up right---its worth it! I am enjoying the plane now more than ever!
Old 01-29-2016, 10:05 PM
youngguy
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by CaptRKO
One more thing to add.....flew my Corsair again today. Everything is working great, I read a few posts ago a guy complaining the bird is a hangar queen....while it take some time to get everything set up right---its worth it! I am enjoying the plane now more than ever!
Haven't flowen mine recently. It's winter here. But I agree that this is a very enjoyable and relaxing warbird to fly but it does take a few flights to work out the kinks. If anyone is considering one of these for their stable, they are a great airplane if you are into Corsairs.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:47 AM
chorner

I agree, it certainly takes time to work out the kinks and I don't think it's necessarily (for me anyhow) something I'd take to the field often... everytime I've had it up in the air it's been very enjoyable and people love watching it fly especially the sound from the radial. It's a cool plane no doubt - I just don't think over the long haul it's very durable, so for me I take that into consideration how often I pack her up to go out to the field.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:06 AM
youngguy

The Corsair will definitely require some TLC to keep it flying not unlike a lot of scale models that I have flown in past. There are some areas that require continual checking like the 4-40 cowl fasteners. I have also replaced some of the plastic parts with fibreglass as they broke or came off in flight. I have also had the tail wheel problem that has been discussed in this form.
However, I find the model flys so well and predictably that it has become a everyday flyer for me. Until there is some major malfunction, I will continue flying it every flying session, if possible, or until I get bored with it. This is an expensive model and I would like to get my moneys worth from the investment and enjoy it as much as possible. That means it must be flying for me.

Last edited by youngguy; 01-30-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:48 PM
CaptRKO

Ha! I jinxed myself......today I flew (gusty winds 20-25 knots+) and low and behold the gear would not come down! Flew around and loaded her up a little bit in some tight loops, nadda...nothing.....everything was up and locked! So I did a belly landing and all that was hurt was my 4 blade Beila broke....but she was safe! Air valve screw came loose and when the retract servo was activated it couldn't shuffle the valve! Easy 5 min fix.....just the name of the game....but I am going to go ELECTRIC retracts! Was going to convert the ones I have but I think I may go with a new build.....new plane, new engine, and the best Electric retracts I can find...no more pneumatics for me!

Still an impressive airplane.....
Old 01-31-2016, 05:21 PM
Chris Nicastro

Question answered: the Saito FG 84 will fit inside the H9 cowl just barely touching. New cowl arrived for my TF GS Corsair build.

Since my installation is straight the left cylinder will not hit or interfere with the cowl due to thrust angles.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:52 PM
CaptRKO

Question for the group:

If I wanted to pull out my pneumatic Robart gear and switch out for Electric gear who would I go with Robart? Sierra?

I am thinking about building a new airframe or just switching out the gear...
Old 02-02-2016, 08:02 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptRKO
Question for the group:

If I wanted to pull out my pneumatic Robart gear and switch out for Electric gear who would I go with Robart? Sierra?

I am thinking about building a new airframe or just switching out the gear...
Well either way, you'll get D&L actuators. They do them for Robart and that is what comes with the Robarts if ordered that way. Same deal with the Sierras, you order the gear from Darrell minus the actuators and send 'em off to D&L for the mod.

May I strongly suggest you abandon the electric retracts? They just aren't there yet. The ones for the turbine models cost three times as much as the gear for the Corsair and even those still have problems. Look back through the thread for comments about electric gear issues.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:59 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Well either way, you'll get D&L actuators. They do them for Robart and that is what comes with the Robarts if ordered that way. Same deal with the Sierras, you order the gear from Darrell minus the actuators and send 'em off to D&L for the mod.

May I strongly suggest you abandon the electric retracts? They just aren't there yet. The ones for the turbine models cost three times as much as the gear for the Corsair and even those still have problems. Look back through the thread for comments about electric gear issues.

+1
Old 02-03-2016, 03:45 PM
CaptRKO

Originally Posted by Zeeb

I will take your suggestion! If they are "not there yet" I will wait it out.....fly the heck out of the one I have now.....I have had 7 gear up landings luckily all on grass with ZERO damage (I mean not a scratch....that center section is tough!) Just finished a H9 P-51 Mustang 60cc and love the Elite retracts! Still tempted to give them a try...but your suggestion has some weight to it.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:23 PM
chorner

Dude, everyone has an opinion and like ****s sometimes they stink. If you have 7 failures with pneumatics try the electrics. I've had 0 I flight failures so far with the electrics. Mainly just tailwheel actuator problems but the casing was fixed by Robart.

Also the eFlite retracts are good quality. Try them out.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Chris Nicastro

Air volume is king when it comes to air retracts. Use the large and small Robart bottles together and keep your installation simple and you should have a trouble free set up.
Every air retract system I install has a lot of volume and they work great.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:16 AM
slo642

D &L does not make any of Robart components anymore I believe Robart has went offshore for the components D&L made for them
Old 02-04-2016, 05:20 AM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knock on wood and I must be fortunate, but I have the recommended Robart pneumatics in my bird, and haven't had an issue. I'm using the large robart tank and get 5 or my cycles with each filling. I can pump the tank up and come back a week later and the retracts will cycle.

Oriole
Old 02-04-2016, 07:41 AM
youngguy

Originally Posted by oriole
Knock on wood and I must be fortunate, but I have the recommended Robart pneumatics in my bird, and haven't had an issue. I'm using the large robart tank and get 5 or my cycles with each filling. I can pump the tank up and come back a week later and the retracts will cycle.

Oriole
+1
I have substituted a BVM high volume valve instead of the Robarts valve. It holds air pressure for over two weeks and will still cycle the gear. The big advantage with electric gear is the realistic cycle speed. Reliability would not cause me to switch. In fact I would rather fill the air system than charge and monitor another battery. My opinion and everyone has to do what suites them.

Last edited by youngguy; 02-04-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:47 PM
CaptRKO

Does Elite make a gear for the 60cc Corsair.....?
Old 02-05-2016, 04:31 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

CaptRKO; I'm a little curious, you do not mention what causes the LG not to extend. Is it lack of air pressure on landing due to air leakage in the system, or is there plenty of air pressure in the tank but the gear still does not extend?

Roger
Old 02-05-2016, 07:39 AM
CaptRKO

Originally Posted by ForcesR
CaptRKO; I'm a little curious, you do not mention what causes the LG not to extend. Is it lack of air pressure on landing due to air leakage in the system, or is there plenty of air pressure in the tank but the gear still does not extend?

Roger
Once cause was the tank rotated in it's mount and twisted the main supply air line.... used a lot of goop silicone glue and now not a problem

One other event was a line came off and depleted the tank.......no gear come down.

One event the tail gear got stuck.....common problem

One event was the air actuator (connected to the servo) had a nut come loose resulting in the actuator not being able to open the valve

There are/were a few other issues...as well. One thing I will say is the Elite gear appear to be pretty high quality and I have had great luck with them on the P-51 Mustang 60cc, was curious if they were as good on the Corsair.

I do hear from the "Old timers" ,,,,,,,,"RETRACTS SUCK" period.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:20 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I prefer to have pneumatic actuated landing gear on my WWII fighters. I rarely have an issue with them, air leaks have been non-existant for several years now. I cannot remember the last time I had a problem with the LG refusing to fully retract or extend. The problem I did find back then was with the brass tee fittings, one or more were partially blocked by either flashing or sealant after the manufacturing and assembly process. The first thing I do now before installing new tee fitting on any new aircraft is ensure the air passages in the tee fittings are clear of flashing or sealant.

The E-flite electric LG I have installed on several of my smaller WS fleet have been nothing but trouble, except for the E-flite LG I have installed on the H9 30cc Spitfire. I have never had an issue with the H9 Spitfire LG, they work perfectly. If only the E-flite LG worked as well on the smaller WS aircraft I have, I would be a very, very happy RC flyer.

Roger
Old 02-05-2016, 01:05 PM
dubd

I went with a set of electric gear and brakes on one of my turbine jets and I don't think I'll ever go with air again. The gear have worked perfect for me. My H9 Corsair has the electric gear and I hope with the proper setup they'll be equally reliable.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:34 AM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone mentioned the solid built center section. I've had what I would call some less then "greased" landings with the Corsair, bounced a bit a few times. Now I noticed cracks in the fiberglass center section along the leading edge from the oil cooler inlets toward the outboard. Anyone else have these cracks?
Also where are you guys running the CG location? I still think mine is a little nose heavy and may account for some of the less than perfect landings.
thanks
Todd

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.