Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 05:38 AM
wfahey415

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks fantastic Diablo. Do you have a date for the maiden planned?
Old 05-15-2016, 07:46 AM
diablo2112

I'm slowly reducing my narcotic pain killers, and basically promised myself I'd have a very clear head before I did the first flight. So, hopefully I have a window in a week or 2 when I'm off painkillers in which I can fly her for the first time. I likely need to start rad/chemo around June 1, so want to get a flight in prior to that.

Joe

Last edited by diablo2112; 05-15-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:29 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Joe,
Good luck to you. I had a round of Rad and two rounds of Chemo several years ago.
It's a bother but hang in there and you'll be ok
Old 06-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diablo2112
Nearing completion of assembly. Did an initial CG check on the build. Overall weight was 27.0 pounds before balancing, and I calculated I needed to add 3 pounds to the nose to bring the CG to the rear of the suggested range (5.3" from the leading edge).

How to do this? I didn't like the idea of adding weight directly to the fiberglass cowl, as this can come loose. Adding weight on the firewall is inefficient, as you want to leverage mass as far to the front as possible. A bit of head scratching, and I fabricated the following from angle iron.

This is 3.4 pounds of sheet steel. Each shim weighs 0.25 pounds, and they can easily be added/removed to fine-tune the CG. This mount places the shims 15" in front of the CG point, about as far forward as you can possibly get. The angle-iron mounts (which weigh 1.1 pounds themselves) were attached to the firewall with 4" lag screws into the 1" thick firewall itself.

Overall weight is 30.5 pounds, and the CG is exactly 5" from the leading edge, gear up no fuel.

I must say thanks for the idea an motivation to move the necessary weight forward on the corsair. Previously I had 49 ounces bolted to the top of the firewall. With the angle iron shelf extending the weight out I was able to remove about 18 ounces of weight to achieve the same CG point on my corsair. The change took me just a few nights and I'm sure the weight loss will be well worth it. 18 ounces less weight up front is a huge difference. My CG location is closer to the rear of the range at 5.3 inches. I added a small piece of lite ply painted white to conceal the piece of lead I bolted to the shelf. Looking forward to getting some flights in soon. The scale in the photo shows the hunk of lead I was able to remove.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0624.JPG
Views:	1404
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	2168416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0625.JPG
Views:	1330
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	2168417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0626.JPG
Views:	1361
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	2168418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0627.JPG
Views:	1301
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	2168419  
Old 06-18-2016, 05:28 AM
diablo2112

Thanks for the post. Nice work. IMHO, warbirds almost always need nose weight, and this is one area the manufacturers don't really address very well. The H9 Corsair is an extreme example. The various solutions posted in this thread are far better than the recommendations in the manual.

I'd like to see H9, TF, and other manufacturers adopt some of these ideas, and perhaps even include some parts to implement them. The angle iron off the firewall + forward weight on the Corsair works quite well, and is (probably) the minimum weight needed to balance this beast, with the bonus of a good structural design. Won't work for the radials, though, that's a limitation.

Last edited by diablo2112; 06-18-2016 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:33 PM
Neil Guildford

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Can someone please confirm if the CG is adjusted with the wheels up or down? And what CG they are using?
Thank you, Neil
Old 07-13-2016, 05:15 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

On a gear that rotates backward like the Corsair I would set the CG with the wheels UP, that way when you go to land you're moving the CG forward slightly
Old 07-13-2016, 07:28 AM
slo642

this is a long thread but that was discussed as I recall most agreed wheels down 5" back and the instructions state on page 82 4.7 to 5.3 back wheels down
Old 07-13-2016, 07:38 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always balance my Corsairs with wheels up.
Barracuda & Slo have the right idea!

Scott

Originally Posted by Neil Guildford
Can someone please confirm if the CG is adjusted with the wheels up or down? And what CG they are using?
Thank you, Neil
Old 07-13-2016, 02:59 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi All

Does anyone have a very nicely done one of these that wants to sell. I can also buy it without the engine as I have a Saito to install.

Thanks.

Behzad
Old 07-20-2016, 07:14 AM
kevarc

I received some good new a couple weeks ago. I entered a raffle and won the Hanger 9 Corsair ready to fly with the FG-60R3! Just waiting on shipping arraignments! I am nearing completion on a top flite giant scale P51 which is my first large airplane and gas motor, jumping in with both feet!

Been reading through the forum lots of good info. I may not have to do much work on it and it sounds like a great airplane can't wait!
Anybody flying these in Colorado? Is the 60R3 enough at 6000 feet?
Can't wait to see this thing!
Kevin
Old 07-20-2016, 08:45 AM
Herc Pilot
My Feedback: (15)

Originally Posted by kevarc
I received some good new a couple weeks ago. I entered a raffle and won the Hanger 9 Corsair ready to fly with the FG-60R3! Just waiting on shipping arraignments! I am nearing completion on a top flite giant scale P51 which is my first large airplane and gas motor, jumping in with both feet!

Been reading through the forum lots of good info. I may not have to do much work on it and it sounds like a great airplane can't wait!
Kevin
Hi Kevin,

You will be pleased. It was assembled in Mike Barbee's 'Monster Hangar'. Mike is the current president of the National Association of Scale Aeromodelers (NASA) and has been building and flying scale for years. He and his crew did everything right when putting this one together. I've seen it at numerous local shows the past six months and compared it to the one I have been flying and it should need nothing more than fueled up, broken in, and flown. As I'm sure you have read, the airplane can be cantankerous, but flies like a dream and I'm sure you will enjoy it. The power plant sounds great and will have plenty of power, more than the Evo 77, IMO. I was at the banquet when they drew your name and you broke a lot of hearts. I hope you enjoy it and big props to all the sponsors who donated the bits to assemble this great airplane and make the raffle possible. Be sure and let us know how she flies!

Adam

Name:	13076538_1183606275024075_4848821885938309301_n.jpg
Views:	1505
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	2173736  

Last edited by Herc Pilot; 07-20-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:22 AM
Fly2XS

Originally Posted by kevarc

Kevin
Kevin,
I was one of the disappointed faces to hear that you had won. I'd be happy to try it out at 900 ft MSL here in Minnesota if you are concerned!

Congratulations!
Scott
Old 07-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Fly2XS

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ
Hi All

Does anyone have a very nicely done one of these that wants to sell. I can also buy it without the engine as I have a Saito to install.

Thanks.

Behzad
There was a good looking unit on RCU earlier this month that was a steal! He sold it to someone at Kentucky Jets.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:53 PM
kevarc

Adam & Scott,
I feel very fortunate.
I talked with John and sounds like they worked pretty hard it.
Sounds like the money raised will be put to good use running contests and such.
I am on the board of my golf league and know the amount of time that takes.
Cant imagine what it takes for a national organization like the National Association of Scale Aeromodelers.
Those guys deserve a lot of Kudos!
I will keep you posted on my progress with it.
Kevin
Old 07-27-2016, 05:25 AM
goshawk911

Hi Adam

Just a bit of info. I have had this corsair for nearly 2 years now. I started with the Evo 7Cyl and flew it for a season. Has lots of issues with power and over heating.
Converted the engine to spark ignition. Better but still not up to the job. Earlier this year I bit the bullet and swapped it out for a FG84 and what a difference. It now swings either a 24x10 2 blade or a 22/12 3 blade with no problem. I stuck with the stock engine and didn't go for the Ray English upgrade. Call me old fashioned but I felt that I have just spent £1300 on an engine I expect it to run out the box and yes it did. Keleo exhaust and it sounds fantastic. I now can fly this war bird around on half stick only going full throttle on the verticals. Hope yours goes as well as mine.

Tim
Old 07-27-2016, 05:54 AM
Herc Pilot
My Feedback: (15)

Originally Posted by goshawk911
Hi Adam

Just a bit of info. I have had this corsair for nearly 2 years now. I started with the Evo 7Cyl and flew it for a season. Has lots of issues with power and over heating.
Converted the engine to spark ignition. Better but still not up to the job. Earlier this year I bit the bullet and swapped it out for a FG84 and what a difference. It now swings either a 24x10 2 blade or a 22/12 3 blade with no problem. I stuck with the stock engine and didn't go for the Ray English upgrade. Call me old fashioned but I felt that I have just spent £1300 on an engine I expect it to run out the box and yes it did. Keleo exhaust and it sounds fantastic. I now can fly this war bird around on half stick only going full throttle on the verticals. Hope yours goes as well as mine.

Tim
Hi Tim,

We've got about 20 flights on ours with the stock Evo 77 on glow. It develops more power as it breaks in, but from the models I've seen, it seems the big 3 cyl Saito's perform much better. We started with the Biela 3 blabe 22x10 but it didn't have much pull. Then we tried a wood 24x10 with no better results. We switched to a JC Superprops wood 23x12 and have flown the majority of it's flights with this. Unfortunately, the model still requires full throttle for takeoff and climbouts and has barely enough to pull through a loop. We've since purchased a Biela carbon 23x12 that we are going to give a try if our retracts ever get repaired by Robart. Looking forward to getting everything back together and getting some more flights on it. She's been sitting far too long! I appreciate the info about the spark ignition as that would have been our next step.

Adam
Old 07-27-2016, 06:10 AM
goshawk911

Hi Adam

I used the system from Adrian at CH-Ignitions. It definitely improved the reliability at tick over and it produced around 200-300 more RPM at full throttle.
I tried just about everything on my 77 and if the air temp was cool then i would get a 5-6 min fight before a loss of power.
Settled on a 24x10 2 blade in the end as this gave the best performance. Like you it would sit around to long with out flying it so that is why I changed it.
Have to say I did prefer the sound of evo to F84 but it came down to fly ability in the end. Wanted some stress free flying with it.
I have a big Stearman which the evo will sit nicely in and with no cowl I was hoping this will help with keeping it cool.( Haven't given up on it )
The kit that Adrian sells is very nice and easy to convert so it may be worth a try.
With FG84 I can take off on 1/2 throttle and it will loop with authority instead of falling out at the top.(not a good look)
I did try lots of different fuel mix in the Evo from no nitro to 10-15 %. I found the more nitro the hotter it got so what you gained in one hand you lost in the other.
Good luck with it and let me know how you get on.

Cheers
Tim
Old 08-10-2016, 02:23 AM
Neil Guildford

I've had 7 flights with mine now, 3 with the standard exhausts on the FG84 and 4 with the Keleo ring. Performance and running seem identical but the sound is now more pronounced.
The firewall needed a minor bit of modification to clear the Keleo ring on the right hand side but otherwise straight forward and completed over two evenings. Previously to that I had the exhaust pushed through the GRP mock exits which was ok but meant there was a lot of oil residue down the underside of the model.
With the FG84 I had to add 700g of lead to the inside of the cowl to balance.
The power to weight seems low, but hopefully this will increase as the engine wears in. Loops are a struggle at present.
My electric Robart mains failed to go up on the first flight when power at 5.6v. I now have them on a 2S lipo and it seems to have sorted the problem.
The covering wrinkled up like mad the first day I took it out but since re shrinking, it seems to have settle down...at least for now.
My prop is a 22x10 3 blade
A very pretty model to look at and the quality appears ok from a metre away. During the build it became apparent that the quality doesn't stand up to my interpretation of Hangar 9's reputation with tail misalignment and the first kit being returned to Horizon for a replacement due to fuselage to wing misalignment.
That said, its a keeper and a joy to fly.

Name:	S1160001.jpg
Views:	1516
Size:	4.28 MB
ID:	2176329   Click image for larger version

Name:	S1160002.jpg
Views:	1583
Size:	4.24 MB
ID:	2176330   Click image for larger version

Name:	S1160005.jpg
Views:	2020
Size:	4.15 MB
ID:	2176331  
Old 08-10-2016, 12:18 PM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Neil,

The Engine and Cowl installation looks crisp and clean. Good job. Did you get the Ray English Modifications?
I fly mine with a Zenoah 62 and at first it labored in the air, but after tuning the engine and running another tank or two though it, it zipped through the air. I'm sure yours will to, and with much more authority than mine.

Regards,

Oriole
Old 08-10-2016, 12:29 PM
Neil Guildford

Hi Oriole
I don't have the Ray English modification. The engine is running rich at the moment but won't allow me to lean it yet. I have heard Saito engines take a long time to run in.
The cowl took quite a while and only after I realised I didn't need the slots on the right hand side.

Last edited by Neil Guildford; 08-10-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:40 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Guildford
Hi Oriole
I don't have the Ray English modification. The engine is running rich at the moment but won't allow me to lean it yet. I have heard Saito engines take a look at big time to run in.
What you are experiencing is exactly what Ray's modifications were designed to correct. While it should get a bit better after it loosens up a bit, you'll always have the poor transition and performance issues as the two lower cylinders will be fat while the top cylinder will be lean.

Did you check out the before/after videos posted by the guy who got with Ray on the changes? Here is a link where the basics are covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffUehgpp8Ug
Old 08-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Neil Guildford

Do you mean there is a poor transition from idle to full throttle? That doesn't appear to be an issue.
Mine sounds bogged down if I lean it. I've been considering the prop size.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Neil Guildford

Thanks for the video link, my engine doesn't suffer from those same issues. The temp was the same on each cylinder and the transition is ok. It's interesting that he uses a 23 inch prop, I wonder if that was causing any of the pre mod issues.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:53 PM
mirored
My Feedback: (1)

Interesting, I own that plane in the video, bought it from Fred a couple of years back. It has been stripped down, fiber glassed and painted in the Lucky Gallon burgundy and cream color scheme. Almost ready for maiden.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.