Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:27 AM
flyingchef
My Feedback: (93)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a EME 70 with on-board starter installed in mine, 115 flights so far. The engines runs great, the DLE 55 would not do it for me since flying at mile high in the Denver area.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:46 PM
tomrcnut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EME 70 cowl clearance

Originally Posted by flyingchef
I have a EME 70 with on-board starter installed in mine, 115 flights so far. The engines runs great, the DLE 55 would not do it for me since flying at mile high in the Denver area.
Flyingchef, I just ordered the H9 kit and the EME 70 w/starter. Did you have to cut the cowl for the plugs? If you did, would the ME8 plug conversion that shaves 3/8" off the cap to cap width help? Did you put in baffles? Finally, did you have to open up the cowl for more exit airflow?

Thanks for the help!
-Tom
Old 04-25-2017, 02:25 PM
kevarc
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by flyingchef
Flyingchef,
If I can get a few more flights on mine I will bring it out to Warbirds over Denver.
I ended up with your old PICA P51 Kit.
Kevin
Old 04-25-2017, 08:36 PM
heirmeistr

flyingchef - I have the same questions as tomrcnut
" Did you have to cut the cowl for the plugs? If you did, would the ME8 plug conversion that shaves 3/8" off the cap to cap width help? Did you put in baffles?"
Also, does anyone have any experience with the Valleyview 70cc twin - they advertise it to be 9 1/2" cap to cap
Old 05-17-2017, 11:34 AM
Zerofighter

Default Hangar 9 60c Corsair with Evo7-77

Almost ready to roll.
Riveted, painted and weathered.

Using Evo7-77 and the weight is already 14.14kg and still wants 1.5kg to the nose.
Setting the CG at 130mm.
What do you guys think?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair1.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	2215771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair2.jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	2215772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xicoy Corsair1.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	2215773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xicoy Corsair2.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	2215774  
Old 05-17-2017, 02:41 PM
flyingchef

Didn't mean to ignore anyone, I just didn't get the feed back to my email about replies on this thread.
For what is worth I had to slightly open the cowl only on the left side to clear the plug cap, it is just above 3/8" so an opening might still needed even with the conversion.
For the baffle I use a dummy engine built from various parts.
Kevin, I'll see you at Warbirds Over Denver just get more flights on the Corsair to get ready!

Name:	08-06-15 (1) (Medium).JPG
Views:	206
Size:	388.1 KB
ID:	2215792   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00586 (Large).jpg
Views:	213
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	2215793  
Old 05-17-2017, 09:39 PM
AKA2

Originally Posted by Zerofighter
Almost ready to roll.

Using Evo7-77 and the weight is already 14.14kg and still wants 1.5kg to the nose.
Setting the CG at 130mm.
What do you guys think?
Thanks.
Well, I went with the Saito fg 60r3, light as the evo, compared to the fg84r3, and also needed more than 3 pounds. Set the cg 155mm gear down trying to avoid more weight and the first landings bounced a lot. So added more weight and left it around 145 (gear down) and the bounce ended. Overall very happy with this configuration ever since. Hope it helps.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:24 PM
Stevedavy

Default Flap setup

Gents this thread is a wealth of experience with this Kit and a great read. I have just begun the build after having the kit for a year. My concern is the servo buzzing on the flap set up. I have two savox 1270 mega torque servos but just the weight of the flaps seem to make them continually buzz, especially holding in the up position There is no binding but when switched off the flaps drop under their own weight. Have you guys got the same, just want some piece of mind or any tips.

regards

steve Davy
Old 05-18-2017, 03:08 AM
Zerofighter

Originally Posted by AKA2
Well, I went with the Saito fg 60r3, light as the evo, compared to the fg84r3, and also needed more than 3 pounds. Set the cg 155mm gear down trying to avoid more weight and the first landings bounced a lot. So added more weight and left it around 145 (gear down) and the bounce ended. Overall very happy with this configuration ever since. Hope it helps.
Thanks for the feedback.
what is your flying weight?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 AM
flyingchef

The flaps are heavy, actually the complete center section is heavy. I have 130 flights on my Corsair now and had to redesign the frame work for the gear. I love the plane but no five stars on the built quality, the center section as heavy as it is is mainly a thick gel-coat and thin layer of fiber-glass.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:11 AM
Stevedavy

Default Flaps

Thanks,
I guess I will have to monitor them I'll try measuring the current draw but cannot get much bigger torque servos. Glad I did the 2 servo option in this thread.

steve
Old 05-18-2017, 08:53 AM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Guys
As you all might know, the kit quality has a lot to be desired but everyone says that it flies well. So we go. My question is about the flaps. Mine were really wacked up and had to fill the hinge holes and re-drill again to line them up. Now I can get 60mm travel for landing from them instead of manual recommended 70. how much travel are you all getting from the flaps ?

Thank you.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:25 PM
flyingchef

Default Flaps

I have been using only one servo, it does buzz when under power but it is normal from a digital servo. I use a high torque Hitec servo with titanium gears, no problem so far, that is with about 130 flights, and I am a big fan of using flaps.
I did plug the original flap hinge holes since they didn't align properly, and drilled new ones to get proper alignment and travel. Otherwise it is a wonderful model to fly and will land in a very short distance when using full flaps. For the same reasons I mentioned in a previous reply, about manufacturing quality, my Corsair center section skin has deformed during the first few flights in 2015 after been exposed to the Colorado sun. It did not affect the behavior while flying but just reflect on the poor manufacturing quality.
I am a builder by heart so ARF are just a way to get some flying while working on serious projects, I hope Horizon keep developing more warbirds like the Corsair, would love to see a FW190 D9!
Old 05-18-2017, 01:31 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

thank you for the reply. I have also built since late 80's so this one was purchased to just fly. Do you think 60mm would be sufficient for flaps. I think I will also be using one servo. The geometry of the flap rods was way off on mine and it took a lot of careful fiddling to get both of them close so I hope one servo would do the job.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:33 PM
AKA2

Thanks for the feedback.
what is your flying weight?
Almost 31 lbs. Kept it stock, no extras like lights, sequencing doors, payload,etc. Only used a lite pilot; tried to keep her on a diet. Very happy with it, you´ll like it once dialed in.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:41 AM
Stevedavy

Default Flaps

Thanks for the replies. I've got two Savox 1270 TG so should be fine then. I'm used to digital servos buzzing but not with so much weight on them constantly, with control surfaces I try and get the sweet spot. I'm also only getting around 60mm before they stop. I have the P51 as well as she flies great so hopefully this one will too. Already have one intermittent electric Robart retract..... the scale wheels add quite a bit of weight, I wish Eflite had made a set like they did for the P51. I agree It's sad they have already decided to discontinue these giant scale, but if a FW 190 was to appear I'm in..

Regards

steve
Old 05-19-2017, 07:51 AM
heirmeistr

Originally Posted by Stevedavy
I agree It's sad they have already decided to discontinue these giant scale, but if a FW 190 was to appear I'm in..
Regards
steve
Please tell me it isn't so. I am just building mine. I just checked the H9 website and saw no mention of the Corsair being discontinued. Where did you get your info?
Harry
Old 05-19-2017, 09:16 PM
Stevedavy

Harry,
im in the same boat I've just started the build here in the U.K. I've also got the P51 and 30cc Spitfire. You just cannot get spares here maybe just a spares problem but I have rung several stockist who tell me they cannot get spares anymore. One has Discontinued on their site.

steve

Name:	IMG_0666.PNG
Views:	193
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	2216008  
Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 PM
heirmeistr

Has anyone used a DA85 in their Corsair?
Old 05-23-2017, 06:04 AM
CRG
My Feedback: (3)

It isn't so.

In the US all spare parts other than the rudder are currently in stock.

Craig
Horizon Hobby

Originally Posted by heirmeistr
Please tell me it isn't so. I am just building mine. I just checked the H9 website and saw no mention of the Corsair being discontinued. Where did you get your info?
Harry
Old 05-23-2017, 08:29 AM
Zerofighter

Originally Posted by njmheli
Hi All.

I decided to do a "late-night / early hours final set-up on the Corsair............I did weigh the "components" using a luggage digital scale,these were the results ( prior to adding a few more gm's ) :

C of g set at 130mm.............according to Xicoy.

Fuzz.................9.580Kg ( 21lb 2oz approx )
C/Section.........4.5KG1lb (9lb 15oz approx )..........with gear doors and 4 x servo + pylons
Port Wing.........0.820Kg (1lb 13oz approx )
Std Wing..........0.800Kg ( 1lb 12oz approx)
Lipos................0.705Kg ( 1lb 9oz approx )

Total by luggage scale = 16.405Kg.. or 36lbs 3oz approx......

The Xicoy is giving me 37.61lbs.................so I guessing that the luggage scales are a little out.When I remove the Corsair from the "pads",the tares are all zero.......

The photo's below show the set up and a couple of the inside of the fuzz............the "yellow" bottle is my fuel tank,sitting where the air tank would go,capacity is the same as stock tank.
The "black" stretched elastic between the main gear,is the datum point I need for the distance between the centres of the pads for the main wheels and the centre of the tail wheel..............on my Corsair the main wheel centres fall exactly on the leading edge ( plumb lined down ).

Can't take any weight out now !!!..........I would be interested in hearing the weights of those using the "Keleo" F/W box conversion for the 84..?

Regards.................Nick (UK)
Hello Nick,
I have a similar setup with the Evo 77cc on Hangar 9 Corsair and came to 14.2kg and still wants 1.5kg to the nose according to the xicoy.
3 questions;
1. Have you managed to fly with the Evo with the weight you have indicated and how was it?
2. What prop have you used?
3. When setting with xicoy I have realized that you have entered the cg point of 130 for "the distance from the cg point to the main wheels". Are you sure with this measure ?because the mains are not lined up with the leading edge of the wing. I have entered 112mm for this value.
Regards
thanks.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:38 AM
youngguy
My Feedback: (7)

Here is mine in flight taken a few days ago. Almost 70 flights, DA 50, Savox servos, one on flaps, one on elevator. Robart air retracts, wieght unknown but it is a heavy lift getting it in and out of my vehicle. Very nice flying aircraft, very easy to land and take off.

Name:	Corsair May 19 03.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	2216750  
Old 05-31-2017, 04:54 AM
kevarc

I was able to get mine up for the second time. Used all of the runway width and length on take off.
Made 7 or 8 passes. really like the way she flys!
Dropped the flaps and gear and lined up to land.
Came in a little low throttled up and the engine quit!
Fell out of the sky from about 5 feet and 30 yards short of the runway.
Tore the gear out, one of them is bent up pretty good, but the other is fine.
The center section is pretty much toast, the gear busted through the top.
The mounts broke out of the cowl.
The wing panels have no damage except a broken hinge on a flap.
Fuselage is fine with no apparent damage. not even scratches on the bottom and the tail gear doors are not damaged, and neither was the prop.
All in all pretty fortunate, but still costly.
I have some gear parts, center section, cowl, and set of gear doors are on order.
I had three other planes with me and no issues with any of them. Whew!
Kevin
Old 05-31-2017, 08:44 PM
heirmeistr

Almost ready to roll.
What do you guys think?
I think you did a fantastic job! I would love to have such detail on mine!
Old 05-31-2017, 08:50 PM
heirmeistr

Originally Posted by kevarc
I was able to get mine up for the second time. Used all of the runway width and length on take off.
Made 7 or 8 passes. really like the way she flys!
Dropped the flaps and gear and lined up to land.
Came in a little low throttled up and the engine quit!
Fell out of the sky from about 5 feet and 30 yards short of the runway.
Tore the gear out, one of them is bent up pretty good, but the other is fine.
The center section is pretty much toast, the gear busted through the top.
The mounts broke out of the cowl.
The wing panels have no damage except a broken hinge on a flap.
Fuselage is fine with no apparent damage. not even scratches on the bottom and the tail gear doors are not damaged, and neither was the prop.
All in all pretty fortunate, but still costly.
I have some gear parts, center section, cowl, and set of gear doors are on order.
I had three other planes with me and no issues with any of them. Whew!
Kevin
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
What engine are you using on your Corsair?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.