Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Old Question... Is this a warbird?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Old Question... Is this a warbird?

Old 05-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Joespeeder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Question... Is this a warbird?

Hey Guys,

I have lots of proper warbirds and have CD'd warbird events but I'm just trying to get a feel for the reaction I may get if I brought the Minimoa as one of my fleet to a warbird event.

I guess a couple of caveat's, I'm was thinking of the standard warbird event at local clubs not the high end events. While I would enjoy showing it off in the context of a warbird event, I would also look to the CD for when would be a good time/area of the field to fly it.

I'm thinking when there was a quiet moment I could get into the air and head out to a corner, generally above where the typical warbird flys and try to find a thermal or two. If it worked I could stay up for a bit, if not I would just be another plane coming back into the pattern to land.

It would be nice to show the Minimoa off, but I don't want to be "that guy" that disturbs the flow of an event.

I will say that the power system in this Minimoa pulls it to altitude with authority. Enough that it would loop on it's own at full throttle due to the high lift wing and no down thrust... I have to hold almost full down to climb at 45degrees nose high at about 3/4 throttle.

With that in mind, is this a warbird? and would you like seeing it at an event?

Minimoa 2a Info

Minimoa Mo 2a (1937) - Two seat Version

Registered as D-15-923, this was a the only two seater glider to be built from the initial requirement for two. The second seat was built between the wings, behind the main wing spar and the fuselage deepened to give more rear cockpit room. The nose was lengthened for adjustment of C.of G. The fuselage was 0.26 m. longer than the standard Minimoa. This glider took part in the 1937 Rhön Contest (but had to be abandoned because its pilot, Hirth, had pains in his injured leg), and later visited England behind a Klemm 26. Minimoa pilots were Hanna Reitsch and Eva Schmidt, while Hirth flew the Klemm towplane. A full set of documentation for this version can be found on this dedicated page on this site http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAG...moa_Mo_2a.html

http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAG...des/index.html

Joe

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49785.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	1881884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58623.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	1881885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17044.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	1881886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94649.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1881887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87898.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1881888  
Old 05-14-2013, 07:44 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Old Question... Is this a warbird?

While cool, not a warbird in my category. But, then again, I don't get too wraped up in the PR of it all.

Jeff
Old 05-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would depend. If things are slow then I wouldnt have a problem. If there is a line waiting to fly, might ought to hold back. We usually do open flying on sunday for our out of town guests.
Edwin
Old 05-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

If it was used to trainer military pilots it is a warbird IMHO. Check the collection at The Air force Museum in Dayton. I was just there and it seems to me that I saw one in their collection. If my 72 year old short term memory is correct, tht would add some gravitas to considering it a warbird.
Walt
Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 341 Likes on 273 Posts

I would say yes, absolutely, and I CD some warbird events.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 AM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

Very cool sailplane but just not enough info for me to say one way or the other.

Was the glider Co. contracted by the government to build and test? Then I would vote yes, its a warbird.
Or was the symbol on the tail there to simply satisfy the regime at the time? If thats the case then Id vote no.

I think about it like the Bell X-1. Is that a warbird? Never flew in combat. It wasnt a scout, ect... But I vote yes because military funds gave that project life.

Cheers.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 AM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Walt Thyng

If it was used to trainer military pilots it is a warbird IMHO. Check the collection at The Air force Museum in Dayton. I was just there and it seems to me that I saw one in their collection. If my 72 year old short term memory is correct, tht would add some gravitas to considering it a warbird.
Walt
+1 excellent point
Old 05-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Joespeeder

Hey Guys,

All excellent points !!

The link I referenced earlier tells of this Minimoa's history as the only one built of two that were approved for production.

After they tried to sell the plane in England, Holland and Belgium it returned to Germany and was repainted.

"The glider, now re-registered as D-7-3242, was used in 1942/43 as a trainer by the NSFK Group 8 (Mitte) Standarte 43 (Weimar) but flew with a marking of the Group 7 (Elbe-Saale) from Erfurt/Nord airfield, where it was based. On the 8th August 1942 a note was entered in the flight log of Gerhard Stauch about a winch launch of a flight instructor in the Mo 2a.

It was never recorded whether the glider ever left the airfield and its' final demise is as yet unknown."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...t_Flyers_Corps

I guess I'd have a hard time arguing that I have the correct paint scheme when it was used as a trainer during the war. But it was used some as a trainer in 1942/43.

I liked my scheme(the original scheme) better and I'm not thinking of competing with it for any real contests.

I don't think the Air Force Museum has a Minimoa... They have several other military sailplanes including a Primary Trainer.

I'd love to see a Minimoa there or even a short wing Habicht that was used to train ME-163 pilots at the Air Force Museum.

Agree totally about when to fly it, if it's allowed.... When it's quiet or a break in the action, otherwise I'd be flying my more typical warbirds.

Joe

Old 05-14-2013, 02:12 PM
alanc

In this era, Germany was not permiited airforce trainers, but a lot of the 109 pilots pited against us in those early years started their flying career on this venerable sailplane,the country was ruled by an armed junta, so, it was an army/airforce plane, so, its a warbird, and as well deserved of the title as the Stearman, Tiger Moth, HE51, and many others that gave wings to tyro pilots, plus, its the COOLEST glider out there, and i have a 14 foot one waiting to be covered, and i think i have found my colour scheme, many thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 06:51 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a many time CD of warbird events my answer is Yes, it is a warbird just as much as an AT-6 is a war bird. Now, would we let you fly it at our event? Most war bird events try to keep things moving all the time due to limited flying opportunities and large numbers of flyers waiting to fly. That said I would definitely attempt to work in a glider when possible.
Obviously a glider would be something of a problem trying to work into the landing sequence so it would probably be flown during a slack time like during lunch break. Would be an sure fire crowd favorite though!
Larry
CD War Birds Over Pueblo
Our 13th year in a row!!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It IS a pretty cool looking glider though. I knew the germans had gliders for training, just didnt research it that much.
Edwin
Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Joespeeder

Hey Guys,

Thanks!! Great input !!

I have created an info sheet for the Minimoa to provide to warbird event PA announcers. Using your thoughts and the documentation I gleaned from the interwebs, I was able to create a nice presentation for any event the Mini may attend.

I have CD'd several warbird events and I would allow the Minimoa to fly, however I'm biased

I think the key is to respect the event. If there is opportunity and it works... Great.... If not, then people will enjoy seeing it. Larry, I understand completely.

Thanks for everyone's input!!

Here are a couple of our events from the last 2 years.

The ME-163, ME-108 and FW-190 are mine. My Hurricane is in there also I think??

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iArWKXAJykY&list=UUAq6iIXjzO3tVwuK6V_traA&index=6[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q3CM_i43yc&list=UUAq6iIXjzO3tVwuK6V_traA&index=29[/youtube]

Since my passions are warbirds and sailplanes the blending of the two always jumps out at me.

Here are some other notable sailplanes that had a role in WWII.

Liege-Kranich ('Liege' means 'lying' or 'couch' because of bow-crewman position") developed and re-built from DFS-Kranich II in Trebbin.

Blohm und Voss BV 40 Attack Glider Maximum speed: 900 km/h (560[2] mph)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blohm_%26_Voss_BV_40

Messerschmitt Me-321

DFS 230

Habicht - Short Wing ME-163 trainer and other variants

Hotspur British Glider

Hamilcar Mark I

Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 AM
airboss45

Guys, i wonder what the AUW was on that Hamilcar with crew, troops and Tank? where's the C/G for that matter. and how the heck do you thermal upwards. hope it had air breaks!