Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Washer fluid and latex paint question!!? Help!!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Washer fluid and latex paint question!!? Help!!

Old 05-23-2013, 04:34 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Washer fluid and latex paint question!!? Help!!

When i tried using tap water it made the paint take too long to dry and ran, with the floetrol it was worse. With the DA, it flashed much faster.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:56 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

I believe it would depend on the condition of your tap water. Too hard, too much lime, too much iron, too soft, etc. I have used distilled water for the ''cleaner'' water it provides and it is very inexpensive.

I've manufactured paint in different states. Tap water is all that I have ever used.

Michigan ground water can smell and have a yellow tint. We still ran it into the vats straight from the tap.

Floetrol, by it's nature, would increase drying time.

Other conditions, such as temperature and humidity, can effect drying times, too.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:08 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom is right, the flotrol is for adding to paint to help it flow better during times of high temps and prevent brush strokes when painting. Like it's been said alcohol flashs off quicker than water. When I paint I spray outdoors and find the paint will almost be dry before I finish spraying. It makes it easy to do both sides of a wing. One thing though about curing it can take about 30 days for latex to be 100% cured so I wait before I seal it. In the summer I will put the parts out in the sun for the day to speed up the process. However you do it you just need to experiment yourself to get the results you want, because different colors have different pigment levels and that can change your formula. The new sample cans they have makes it easy to get several colors without breaking the bank. Good luck with your project. Here is a link to some common questions about Flotrol http://www.spraygunworld.com/Informa...x/floetro.html
Old 05-23-2013, 08:03 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: TomCrump

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

I believe it would depend on the condition of your tap water. Too hard, too much lime, too much iron, too soft, etc. I have used distilled water for the ''cleaner'' water it provides and it is very inexpensive.

I've manufactured paint in different states. Tap water is all that I have ever used.

Michigan ground water can smell and have a yellow tint. We still ran it into the vats straight from the tap.

Floetrol, by it's nature, would increase drying time.

Other conditions, such as temperature and humidity, can effect drying times, too.
Great information. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:29 AM
rc74
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Behr Ex Latex house paint, cheap blue washer fulid, $15.00 paint gun from Harbor freight. Works fine!!! Mix may vary but around 4 paint to 1 fulid. One light tack coat. Dry in 15 min. then two more coats. Use heat gun to help dry if needed. The Corsair I just finishes for a friend the P-47 & C47 are mine, all painted with the above. Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28073.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1884566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89152.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1884567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72451.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	234.4 KB