Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Need a sturdy carbon prop...

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Need a sturdy carbon prop...

Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 AM
ljsoarinson
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a sturdy carbon prop...

I need a recommendation for a prop for a YA Spitfire. This one has a tendency to tip forward on its nose if the landing isn’t perfect. I typically use wood props to prevent damage to the engine, but after going through a bunch recently I’m ready to take my chances with a stronger carbon prop. I fly off grass or a tarp runway so I’m not worried about damaging the prop.

I have seen some carbon props that are light but break when you look at ‘em funny (Mejzlik?) and others that dig sod and come out fine. I’d like the sod digging kind in an 18x12 or 18x10, to fit a Fuji 43.

Who makes a strong carbon prop in that size?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Need a sturdy carbon prop...

I'd stick with breaking the wood props until you get your landings down to perfection. A carbon prop won't help you with your landings it will just cost you 2 or 3 times the amount to replace them every time you nose over.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:05 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Greg Wright

I'd stick with breaking the wood props until you get your landings down to perfection. A carbon prop won't help you with your landings it will just cost you 2 or 3 times the amount to replace them every time you nose over.
I agree with that...also, you may bend/break a crank when it fails before the carbon prop. I have owned many a yellow aircrat spitfire, and you can easily move the CG back to 6.5 inches from the leading edge at teh fuse. This will help the nose over tendency greatly. Mine lands i grass all the time and rarely noses over, but you do have to know how to handle the elevator on landing to assist with nose over issues. Yellow is very conservative on the CG. Take it for what it is worth to you, but this is where I have balanced all of my YA spits.

Jeff
Old 06-04-2013, 12:08 PM
ljsoarinson

Good point Greg. But if I could find a carbon prop that is two to three times stronger than wood I'd come out ahead on flying time. I have a carbon prop in a 22" that feels stout enough to chop wood with. I'm guessing it could be solid carbon. Problem is it was painted before I got it so I have no clue who the manufacturer is.

I'm hoping someone has broken enough carbon props to figure out which ones are stronger than others...
Old 06-04-2013, 12:30 PM
ljsoarinson

Thanks for the suggestion on the CG Jeff. I have had it aft of 6.5" already and it was a bit lively of a flyer for me. I think it is around 6.5" now. The other thing I can do is angle the landing gear more forward to prevent nose-overs. I'm doing all I can with the elevator on takeoffs and landings right now but occasionally the plane ends up in grass long enough to catch the gear doors and tip it forward.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest that carbon props and sturdy are mutualy exclusive!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.falconpropellers.com/

Ok, here are some "sturdy" props.

However, I agree with other posts about carbon props and planes prone to ground strikes. I have carbon fiber "show" props, but for everyday flying, I stick with wood. Cranks are easier to damage than one would think. It may be almost undetectable, but RPMs will suffer, and the vibration will be damaging to other components, possibly leading to failures. Wood props are very forgiving, for the most part.