Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

tips on rudder trim tabs

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

tips on rudder trim tabs

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:10 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tips on rudder trim tabs

does anyone have any pics of operating rudder trimtabs on warbirds ? i have afew ideas

thanks RCU
Old 06-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Dash7ATP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tips on rudder trim tabs

ORIGINAL: WhiteRook

does anyone have any pics of operating rudder trimtabs on warbirds ? i have afew ideas

thanks RCU
I can't understand why you would want them to operate. Typical trim tabs are to reduce or eliminate the force needed to maintain straight flight in cruise, and reduce or eliminate the right rudder required during takeoff and climb. Any forces produced by operating trim tabs will be fighting the rudder servo. Now, if you are talking about rudder servo boost tabs, that is another matter entirely. They are not necessarily positioned from the cockpit. The ones I'm familiar with have a push rod connected to the vertical Stab, and move only when the rudder deflects, and in the opposite direction. This provides a force helping the rudder deflection and reduces the pressure required of the pilot on a large surface that does not have hydraulic boost. This could allow you to use a much smaller servo than you might otherwise need on a large control surface. The Dash 7 I used to fly had these on the elevators, as the large rudder was hydraulic powered.Dash
Old 06-10-2013, 03:51 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats what i was thinking of using it for ,counteracting pull to the left, on takeoff
Old 06-10-2013, 03:58 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: WhiteRook

thats what i was thinking of using it for ,counteracting pull to the left, on takeoff

There is this new invention called the rudder chAnnel that works wonders for that problem! Lol

Rudder trim or boost tabs arent going to help this issue as both still require an action by the pilot for them to function. Unfortunately for some, there is no other way to counteract a yaw tendency automatically except by either your own thumbs or by using a gyro.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when left thumb does not work install gyro. that is all!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:57 AM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I think you are looking for is an ability to input a set amount of rudder "trim" for take-off and climb, yet remove that from the cruise setting once cleaned up and in cruise configuration?

Depending on your radio you might have "flight modes" which allows you to switch between different setups with one switch, like going from a 3D configuration to a sport flight one, or from take-off, flight and landing modes. See if your radio has such.

Then you could set your take off settings on one mode with some rudder trim as needed, but have that trim taken out in flight mode.

Whit
Old 11-05-2013, 11:33 AM
dadragon

I do giant scale warbirds and put trim tabs on all the moving surfices eccept the flaps what that dose is like making a rudder for a rudder it takes alot of strain off the servos.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Many full scale trim tabs are sheet metal (aluminum) that are bent on the ground because a pilot suggests they need to be bent. There is a difference between a boost tab, and a trim tab.
Now, I could see how a small trim tab could help keep your plane straight, and not strain a servo, but You will have to be pretty big for this to be the case. But by and large, I would see this as unnecessary.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:05 PM
dadragon

does a 150" AD SKYRAIDER count,Phil from the UK done it to a 180" skyraider they do work.its all on rc scale builders on 180" skyraider.I done it to my 150"
Old 11-07-2013, 03:49 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Many full scale trim tabs are sheet metal (aluminum) that are bent on the ground because a pilot suggests they need to be bent. There is a difference between a boost tab, and a trim tab.
Now, I could see how a small trim tab could help keep your plane straight, and not strain a servo, but You will have to be pretty big for this to be the case. But by and large, I would see this as unnecessary.
Actually there is a difference between Just a trim tab, and Just a boost tab. But many times they are combined into the same unit.
Just a trim tab is either ground adjustable or pilot adjustable in flight. Its used to trim the airplane for hands off flight at a given speed, if its inflight adjustable, its deflection stays linear as the flight control it is attached to moves.
Just a boost tab (aka servo tab) is not adjustable period. It has a fixed length pushrod that is attached to a stationary point on the wing or stab, and then the "tab" on the flight control it is attached to is hinged. As the flight control is delfected, the tab moves in the opposite direction of the flight control surface. This opposite deflection helps "boost" the control by relieving the amount of force needed to move the flight control, this is especially useful at high speeds with mechanically actuated flight controls
There is also an Anti-servo tab that does the opposite of the boost tab.

Now a combines boost /trim tab just adds an adjustable actuator in place of the fixed point on the wing/ stab. This allows you to use the boost tab to adjust trim when the control surface ia at neutral and then when the surface is moved, it helps reduce the force needed to move the control surface.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by invertmast
Actually there is a difference between Just a trim tab, and Just a boost tab. But many times they are combined into the same unit.
Just a trim tab is either ground adjustable or pilot adjustable in flight. Its used to trim the airplane for hands off flight at a given speed, if its inflight adjustable, its deflection stays linear as the flight control it is attached to moves.
Just a boost tab (aka servo tab) is not adjustable period. It has a fixed length pushrod that is attached to a stationary point on the wing or stab, and then the "tab" on the flight control it is attached to is hinged. As the flight control is delfected, the tab moves in the opposite direction of the flight control surface. This opposite deflection helps "boost" the control by relieving the amount of force needed to move the flight control, this is especially useful at high speeds with mechanically actuated flight controls
There is also an Anti-servo tab that does the opposite of the boost tab.

Now a combines boost /trim tab just adds an adjustable actuator in place of the fixed point on the wing/ stab. This allows you to use the boost tab to adjust trim when the control surface ia at neutral and then when the surface is moved, it helps reduce the force needed to move the control surface.
Wasn't boost tab separation the cause of the "Galloping Ghost" crash at Reno?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:11 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Wasn't boost tab separation the cause of the "Galloping Ghost" crash at Reno?
Yep,
it that scenario it was a boost and trim tab. Same surface with two jobs. When it came off, the nose down pitching moment it was providing was lost, which is what cause the pitch up