Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF P-51 Advice Please!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF P-51 Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 07:29 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF P-51 Advice Please!

I've got a very nice TF P-51 Giant Scale with a newer US Engines 41cc up front. I need to get some advice on how this bird flies? I can get all the technical stuff from the TF website but I would really like some first hand experienced advice.

Thanks

Loopman
Old 09-23-2003, 11:35 AM
BUflyer

Default RE: TF P-51 Advice Please!

If you go to tower hobbies web site and search that plane like you are going to buy it, ther will be three or four flight reviews that you can read!
Old 09-23-2003, 12:07 PM
MustangFan

Several of them fly at out site. The pilots say they are a *****cat, fly great.

Only complaint, landing gear supports in wing need strengthening with glass or carbon fiber ( a weak spot).

I'm building one and plan on finishing it this winter.

Good Luck
Old 09-23-2003, 02:05 PM
MUNGAM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one and it flies great as longs as you have the power. I have never seen but been told that the US 41 will marginally fly the plane. When I had a Moki 210 in mine , I really did not enjoy flying her but with the DA 50 , it's a pleasure. She now flies like a sport plane. My only advice would be to be careful of stalls with the US41.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:42 PM
Collinba

I fly mine with a Sachs 2.6 which is very close to a US 41. It flys very "scale like". Full throttle straffing runs will look very realistic. You'll need to dive a little to get through a loop - similiar to full scale. Take off is easy, a little rudder required, let it run on the mains till you get to flying speed - gentle climb out - no flaps required. Landing is a *****cat. full flats and about 1/4 throttle right to touchdown. Keep the speed up - it is a scale warplane. With the US 41 you arn't going to to be hanging on th prop - you're going to be flying scale.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:21 AM
warbirdz1

Loopman......I have the Giant T/F P-51 and its heavy@ 29 lbs.....Powered with a G-62 it flys very well....I beefed up the landing gear ribs with ply doublers and added some ply to the aft shear webs and the L/ E spar....96 flts and I pretty much fly it on the "Edge" every flight......the Robart gear have held up ....even considering I've done it all on takeoffs and Landings.......Bill....
Old 09-24-2003, 08:39 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Loopman, How much does your P-51d weigh? I'll assume you are in the 17# range. About the engine I have one and I run a 20X 6-10 on it. It will turn a 18x12 very nicely but mine is on a Zeroli Corsair and a 18 in. Prop does not leave much past the cowl so vertical is poor, climb outs from low passes and takeoffs are marginal; making the 20X 6-10 the safest prop but it does not move the plane very fast. You how ever have a inline engine and may be able to use a 18X12 successfully. If you try it keep in mind that the prop hub is aluminum and they do sell a longer bolt for that prop., I found out the $45 dollar way.

I come from the Dick Allen school of model design and he has been quoted many times. " saying a model fly's scale like is not a compliment". Your plane wants to exceed 80mph before you can fly it like a sport plane and I don't think that engine will do that. With a USA 41 and an 18x12 you will be very close to 75mph but that prop is a cruse prop.. With a 20x8 you will be closer to 65mph top speed but the vertical will be better (climb prop.). Were I to set it up for the first flights I would use the 20x8 until I was comfortable with the plane then switch.

P-51's in general have quick aileron response so if you have expo use it (I start with 30% on the ailerons) this will allow you full travel on the ailerons if needed while still giving you good predictable response close to neutral.

If your USA 41 misses a cycle every now and then in the air don't get to concerned some USA engines when breaking in will do that. I'm talkin' one skipped cycle per traffic pattern.

Good luck
Joe
Old 09-26-2003, 06:03 PM
Wildmann
My Feedback: (3)

I guess I am the exception to all of this
and am going to make some people jump and shout
But the us 41 is not my choice nor will it ever be un less your plane is very light
if you glass and paint it you will not be happy
plus plus plus the size and dimentions or your Us 41 are the same as the G62
I choose the G62 an far better choice it flys the plane slow and with athority
because you have alot more prop on the front
I have seen the Us41s fly themand if your plane is light and you didnt do much to scale it out you will be fine but on the heavy side go with the better choice g62
Old 09-26-2003, 06:21 PM
SBR_RV

violent stalls as most warbirds do