Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

9th Annual - Northern Alliance Military Fly-in

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

9th Annual - Northern Alliance Military Fly-in

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 06:06 PM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kram
OK, I'll give this my best shot. I think I know why there's kind of a stunned silence on this thread

The event, the whole weekend has a sacred aura around it that seems untouchable, indescribable to all of us.

When I first heard about Karen's death, I was physically ill.

Soon thereafter, event organizers, encouraged by Tim, began a grassroots campaign to make sure the event happened despite the recent tragedy: "because that's what Karen would've wanted.".

My first reaction was one of protest: "How can they manage to carry on so soon after? Maybe next year, but not next week!

But I felt the urge to honor their wishes, as did (apparently) practically anyone who had ever attended or thought about attending NAMFI.

And with heavy hearts we packed planes and supplies and gathered at the field in Southern Minnesota

What I feared might be a dysfunctional and dysphoric confusion of mourners soon swelled to an incredible memorial celebration by the RC family that Karen helped create.

Hundreds of cars and tents and planes clogged the entire length of the field. The weather was perfect: "heaven-sent" some claimed.

I don't think it an exaggeration to say there were constantly 5 planes in the air from 0800 to 1800 Saturday.

Many stepped up to fill Karen's huge shoes and the logistics of the event were flawless.

Maudlin speeches were kept to a minimum

I think we all felt the LOVE of Tim and Karen's huge RC family coming together to celebrate them and to celebrate ourselves and the LOVE and the fellowship this event has generated.

Tim mingled with us every day in his quiet stoic manner and it was painfully obvious that (rather than cancel the event) we all desperately needed to talk to him, to hug him, to show him that we are family.

In summary, it was the event of a lifetime. As an initial doubter, I have to thank those of you (Tim?) who had the wisdom and the vision to make sure it happened.

Karen has inspired us all to cherish each other every day.

OK, there, I tried to put it in words. How'd I do?

mt
You did great!!! I'm one of those Okies. This was our 5th year to attend and you nailed the overall feeling we had last weekend. Incredible weekend!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 05:13 AM
Howard Davidson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good series of pics showing Jeff Andrew's B-25 with a nose gear that wouldn't lock down. No damage at all, but a cool series of pics, never-the-less!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3094.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1910174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9099+(1280x854).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	388.4 KB
ID:	1910175   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9100+(1280x854).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	1910187   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9110+(1280x920).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	1910188  
Old 08-19-2013, 08:12 AM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Howard Davidson
Good series of pics showing Jeff Andrew's B-25 with a nose gear that wouldn't lock down. No damage at all, but a cool series of pics, never-the-less!
I think Jeff's B25 just wanted to kiss that pretty pink runway
Old 08-19-2013, 09:45 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kram
OK, I'll give this my best shot. I think I know why there's kind of a stunned silence on this thread

The event, the whole weekend has a sacred aura around it that seems untouchable, indescribable to all of us.

When I first heard about Karen's death, I was physically ill.

Soon thereafter, event organizers, encouraged by Tim, began a grassroots campaign to make sure the event happened despite the recent tragedy: "because that's what Karen would've wanted.".

My first reaction was one of protest: "How can they manage to carry on so soon after? Maybe next year, but not next week!

But I felt the urge to honor their wishes, as did (apparently) practically anyone who had ever attended or thought about attending NAMFI.

And with heavy hearts we packed planes and supplies and gathered at the field in Southern Minnesota

What I feared might be a dysfunctional and dysphoric confusion of mourners soon swelled to an incredible memorial celebration by the RC family that Karen helped create.

Hundreds of cars and tents and planes clogged the entire length of the field. The weather was perfect: "heaven-sent" some claimed.

I don't think it an exaggeration to say there were constantly 5 planes in the air from 0800 to 1800 Saturday.

Many stepped up to fill Karen's huge shoes and the logistics of the event were flawless.

Maudlin speeches were kept to a minimum

I think we all felt the LOVE of Tim and Karen's huge RC family coming together to celebrate them and to celebrate ourselves and the LOVE and the fellowship this event has generated.

Tim mingled with us every day in his quiet stoic manner and it was painfully obvious that (rather than cancel the event) we all desperately needed to talk to him, to hug him, to show him that we are family.

In summary, it was the event of a lifetime. As an initial doubter, I have to thank those of you (Tim?) who had the wisdom and the vision to make sure it happened.

Karen has inspired us all to cherish each other every day.

OK, there, I tried to put it in words. How'd I do?

mt
Beautifully said Mark.

JQ