Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

ORIGINAL: Leroy Gardner

thunderbolt your right but my plane is being finished in the scheme of Cripes Amighty 3rd polished version and will have a very scale looking rivet detail. Rivets will be seen but suttle and not jump off at you. I have alot of pictures I've taken of a polished mustang besides the spec and 2&3 views of the plane used in the pannel lines and rivet detail. 5.000 is not even close to whats in the real plane but will present it well. Lots of work and it's looking good.Leroy

Roger that.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:43 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was reading this thread a while ago and I thought there was a guy that mounted a DLE 55 with a soft mount and he ended up having his j'tec muffler come apart. Others chimed in and said you were not supposed to soft mount this engine as the vibration is isolated to the engine and causes issues. I completely agree that a soft mount sounds like the best way to go to save the plane, but I also don't want to damage the engine/muffler. I am not sure which way is best, but I do have plenty of time to decide. Have others used a soft mount with the jtec in-cowl p-51 muffler?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:31 AM
CRJDriver
My Feedback: (57)

My Zenoah G45 has been soft mounted in my P-51 now for 6 years. I am using the JTEC muffler as well. No issues whatsoever.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Spitfire if you follow the mounting instructions that came with the plane you'll be glad you did. Many of the guys don't have a clue about what soft mounts actually do. It's kinda like what would happen if your car engine, frig. compressor, furnace fan motorcycle and so on would sound like with out soft mounts and thats not to mention the distructive forces of vibration and high frequency modulation does to raido, servos, screws and glue joints,not to mention the engine mount itself. I'll show a well mounted engine and mount as an example, Leroy

I'll try later there is a server error and can't up load pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85731.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1760067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30648.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1760068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54328.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1760069  
Old 05-07-2012, 07:34 PM
spitfire66

I thought that it would be best to soft mount, and like your work. (crj driver) 6+ years without an issue! That's good enough for me! Leroy, nice work. That looks so well done.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:14 PM
spitfire66

I went to Home Depot and Lowes today to look at paint for the mustang later on down the road and had no luck. I was looking for Behr aluminum mettalic paint, but they said they haven't had it in 4 years or so. Same with Lowes. The only thing they have is Krylon spray paint. I found this Martha Stewart specialty paint that was called polished silver. It's $5.50 for 10 fluid ounces. I have no idea how much paint it will take, but I figured the quantity/cost to come up with a gallon and that would be about 13 jars of it. That would be around $70 for paint alone. What are other people using? I went to the hobby store and found testors sells spraypaint, but I was wanting to use an spraygun to get an even coat with no lines and also fuel proof.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:38 PM
CRJDriver
My Feedback: (57)

Use Krylon Bright Silver. You can get it for 3 bucks a can at Wal Mart. This worked really well for my Jug. Just be sure to rub it down with 0000 steel wool. The result is a very convincing metal finish. It is not letting me post pictures right now. I'll try later.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:57 PM
crashproof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Rustoleum Rattle can Aluminum, after Drying it buffs out nice with 0000 steel wool. Kevin.

Name:	Us53024.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	1760568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72734.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	1760569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17240.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	1760570  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: spitfire66

I went to Home Depot and Lowes today to look at paint for the mustang later on down the road and had no luck. I was looking for Behr aluminum mettalic paint, but they said they haven't had it in 4 years or so. Same with Lowes. The only thing they have is Krylon spray paint. I found this Martha Stewart specialty paint that was called polished silver. It's $5.50 for 10 fluid ounces. I have no idea how much paint it will take, but I figured the quantity/cost to come up with a gallon and that would be about 13 jars of it. That would be around $70 for paint alone. What are other people using? I went to the hobby store and found testors sells spraypaint, but I was wanting to use an spraygun to get an even coat with no lines and also fuel proof.

I picked up samples of paint to test for apperance and compability. I don't know how far you are willing to go in price but automotive paint will beat out in comparison to any rattle can paint out there. Remember, you get what you pay for. It will cost me around $150.00 to paint my mustang. I never spent all the time I have in my build Just to put a crappy paint job on it.. My paint will be base coat clear coat and it is fuel proof. Leroy
Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: CRJDriver

Use Krylon Bright Silver. You can get it for 3 bucks a can at Wal Mart. This worked really well for my Jug. Just be sure to rub it down with 0000 steel wool. The result is a very convincing metal finish. It is not letting me post pictures right now. I'll try later.
It's not fuel froof and if you clear coat it it will turn grey and without clear coat it just keeps dusting. I tested them all and got same results from all of them. Cheep is not the answer, we have guys around here doing that and after 6 or 10 flights they look like crap- which is what they put on their planes. To each his own and I'm not bashing any of you. What matters is your happy with it. Leroy
Old 05-08-2012, 08:27 PM
crashproof

I guess now all the rest of us have crappy paint jobs then. I will bet 75 percent of the Planes at Top gun this year were painted with House Latex outdoor paints. Why don't you take one of your birds down there next year and see how you fair with your 150.00 dollar paint job. I could care less what someone paints their plane with but for some reason you feel you are the only one who has the answer. You pushed your rivet detail all over the place with folks who have been doing much better for years, but at least I won't call any thing you got crappy I will leave that for you to do. Kevin.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:40 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

i'm using chrome monocote and flat black monocote on mine
Old 05-09-2012, 06:03 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

http://www.alsacorp.com/

Try the killer chrome.. Several TG planes are painted with it.

Alu is really difficult to pull off in paint. The specialized automotive paints do the best job from what I've learned over the years. Or you can go with flite metal or similar. That works too.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 AM
spitfire66

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I will try some of the krylon paints with/without clear coat, and then the "martha stewart" brand polished aluminum and see how they hold up. If the price gets over $100 I will spend $60 more and use the flite metal. I will do some testing this week. Thanks for the input.

The alsa corp stuff looks really nice, but too close in price to the flite metal for the whole kit. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 AM
spitfire66

I found some a paint called chrome/aluminum that is used for propane tanks and fences. I'll buy some today and do some testing. My goal is a fuel proof paint that looks good (not top gun quality) and doesn't flake or rub off. Top Gun quality would be nice, but this is my first giant plane and I'm looking to gain quality experience while saving some money in the process. Some day money will be no object right?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=61346231373
Old 05-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Duplicator41
My Feedback: (1)

Ditzler automotive paints makes a silver that is called "non-smudge aluminum" it works well and holds up for a good period of time.

Cheers,

Name:	Ca82001.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	1760908  
Old 05-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: crashproof

I guess now all the rest of us have crappy paint jobs then. I will bet 75 percent of the Planes at Top gun this year were painted with House Latex outdoor paints. Why don't you take one of your birds down there next year and see how you fair with your 150.00 dollar paint job. I could care less what someone paints their plane with but for some reason you feel you are the only one who has the answer. You pushed your rivet detail all over the place with folks who have been doing much better for years, but at least I won't call any thing you got crappy I will leave that for you to do. Kevin.
Kevin your like too many guys that post on RCU, yuo don't read the other posts and threads. What paints I was referring to are the metalized chrome, chrome aluminum, bright silvers and so on and what I said about them is true. The planes with it on them from my area do look like crap and none of the guys have said that they would ever make that mistake again and I never said that about other colors of aerosol paints. Many are clear coatable for fuel proofing indluding laytex. Truth is you can't get a higher quality paint than automotive base coat clear coat produces. To get the results and color I want is not possible with aerosol spray paint and I would have perferred to have found something less expensive.

Glad you have seen my pannel lines and rivets. I did that thread to show that anyone can learn to do it even you and I never said it's the only way to do it. You should try reading that thread and you too may learn something. Leroy
Old 05-09-2012, 02:21 PM
fujiman

leroy down boy, down!!!!!!!!! your drinking too much coffee i think!!!!!!!!! too much hostility!!!!!!! this thread is for the fun and not arguments!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 PM
spitfire66

I used some grey primer and used some chrome aluminum paint today. I had the old p-51 that I started on and then though it wasn't good enough. Anyway I'm using that as my test subject for paint, and later to experiment with glassing. The picture is after 1 coat of paint. A minute ago I added coat #2. I think it looks awesome, but I had to brush it on as I don't have an airbrush. The problem with brushing is you can see the brush lines.

I am going to use a small spray gun that my dad recommended from harbor freight. He said he has used his a couple times and the one he has would work great. It says thinning is not recommended, but I figure I could do a very little bit if needed. There is a lot of metallic gunk in the bottom of the can that you have to really stir up well, and has raised my concern about clogging a gun. Maybe if I stir is up enough and use a coffe filter that would prevent issues? Well, if you can't tell I haven't done this kind of stuff before, but I am very eager to learn. If it wasn't for the brush lines I'd be really happy with the experiment so far!

Next I will be applying a clear coat to see if it gas proof and smear proof without changing the color and appearence. I'll keep you all posted. I am on my days off and would really like to get this figure out.

Name:	Zx70071.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	1760994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89254.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1760995  
Old 05-09-2012, 02:38 PM
spitfire66

I value everyone's opinion. It helps me to hear everything and then draw my own conclusion. Please, no hostilities. I understand both of your arguments.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:18 PM
oconcj
My Feedback: (1)

HI Guys

What I have found over the years is that, the Krylon paints get very brittle over time and you get spiderweb cracks all over. Auto paints seem fairly brittle also. I use to use lacquar a lot, but found that brittle. The paint I have used for a few years now is the Stits paint. Their paint is used on fullsize and is sold for modellers thru F and M products in Texas. They have a fillercoat for the fabric they use called Polyspray. It is silver and has aluminum particles in it. It dries semi flat and is fuel proof. I have had it on my P-51 for four years now. Looks very much like dull aluminum. The other thing is that it doesn't finger print or come off in your hands. The paint is a one paint process and dries very fast. Similar to dope or lacquar. Just another option
Old 05-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: fujiman

leroy down boy, down!!!!!!!!! your drinking too much coffee i think!!!!!!!!! too much hostility!!!!!!! this thread is for the fun and not arguments!!!!!!
fugiman your right, I do drink too much coffee. I was only responding to a snide reply for describeing a certain paint as crap should of said poor quality which is the same thing.

My responce was not hostile but was truthful. When context of a remark is blown that far out of perportion than it needs to be addressed to get it right. I don't come here to ruffel feathers, I come here to help or learn.

Sorry, it could have been said in a different way and still ment the same thing. Leroy
Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 PM
fujiman

i think we all have done that before. it's big of you to admit it. so now we can go on with the thread!!!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:49 PM
spitfire66

I've been looking for a good clearcoat that is resistent to gasoline. After rereading Tom Pierce's blog I found he used nelson's hobby clear for a gasoline proof clearcoat. I am going to use that. If you need information, like myself and are really a beginner go go tompierce.net It's great information.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 PM
bucho
My Feedback: (6)

Whois knows ir a masterairscrew classic 20 x 10 can work indica a del 55 ??? con this mustang.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.