Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 PM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scale cockpit - Wow

I have a Xoar 22x10 on mine, didn't seem much different than a 22x8. My flying buddy has a Menz 20x12 on his and it's quite a bit faster than mine. Not much on the verticle, but then again, you're not flying a 3D machine.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM
jkeze
My Feedback: (36)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

After flying mine for 2 years with the DLE 55 I decided to replace the cowl which was getting busted up by the holes cut in it for the Pitts muffler. I opted to replace the engine with the new DLE 55RA. Now no more holes on the sides and only an area for the air and exhaust to come out the bottom. Not much performance difference but the engine is still new and slightly rich.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12587.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1826229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98923.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1826230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72274.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1826231  
Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Jyjkoz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rslstft

I have a Xoar 22x10 on mine, didn't seem much different than a 22x8. My flying buddy has a Menz 20x12 on his and it's quite a bit faster than mine. Not much on the verticle, but then again, you're not flying a 3D machine.

So would you stick with the 22X10 or should I get the20 X12?
Thanks
Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 PM
flyboy12
My Feedback: (57)

That looks sweet. I'm getting ready to start on my 2nd one. It will be done in the Furocious Frankie scheme.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM
fytrjok
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I started refurbishing my old, broken "Princess" and got to the point on re-installing the old Sierra gear. It seems like I recall hearing about an update for the Sierra Mustang gear that let them swing out a few degrees more. Couldn't find anything on Sierra's website...can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe...

When I ordered mine I had to ask, but now it seem that there is a option
See it here.. maybe this is it ?

www.sierragiant.com under ..
Top Flight Giant Scale Kit /ARF/ARC Scale Retracts
or http://www.sierragiant.com/prod27.html

Cheers

Old 12-05-2012, 02:22 PM
fytrjok
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yup, that's it, thanks!. I sent them an email to see if there is a retro-fit kit. I wonder if that extra 3 degrees is measured from the retracted position or the extended.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Valve floater

I use the Xoar 22-8 WWII prop. Works great with my DLE-55.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Valve floater

Guys. I have about 10 flights on the plane so far. I have been doing some touch and goes and can`t seem to get my landing perfect every time. Sometimes i bounce and last week i had to redo one of my main gear mounts cause it broke on landing. I can`t find the correct amount of throttle on incoming and right before touchdown. My friends say i am stalling out and using the elevator too much. I fell that i am close enough to the ground and maybe throttling too low. Seems everything centers around the landing mains on this plane and landing it correctly without breaking them or bending the tubes back. 25lb plane.I have been a 3d flyer for over 10 years and i will admit this plane has me thinking that i bit off more than i can chew. Take off and flying is not a problem. Please help.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are flying a Mustang or most other WWll aircraft you will want to use full flaps and that will cause you (force) to use some power to keep her flying. Which is what you want as you get closer to the ground. You said you bounced on landing.....that is another reason to use flaps as they cause enough drag there will be no "bounce".
It took me awhile to figure this out also. The only time you don't use full flaps is on a dead stick landing as you have no motor to save you on the flair at touch down.
I don't think I am ever at a full idle untill the wheels are rolling. I've even added a couple of clicks of power to fly it onto the mains.
You said you flew 3-D?? Didn't you ever have to add power to land those light planes on a windy day?
You need to do some slow flying up high with flaps to see what it feels like first....doing stalls and level flight.
The mistake I see some guys make is they roar around at full power the full flight and then when it comes time to land they can't get use to the different feel at that power level.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Valve floater

Yes MX that`s me. I fly it at mid to WOT. Scared it will fall out on my turns and go into a spin. I did make some mid throttle low passes. I Feel that i can fly the well, it`s the landings that are touchy. This plane has me nervous. Not much room for error. I have been using half flaps on my landings. I have beefed up both wheel wells.
I have a 50cc Sig sundancer bi-plane i have been flying for years and land it quite well. Yes, i do work the throttle on landing but it is not so critical.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 AM
MX240

Ha-ha, Yep, half flaps are a killer on landings.
Half flaps are LIFTING flaps for takeoffs.
Get those babys all the way down.
I don't remember what plane you are flying, but on my Mustangs ( and i have had three of them) 2 3/4 to 3" down is full flaps. Makes her land like a baby....with some power!
Another thing...don't try to land on the very end of the runway. I aim for 50' from the end to touch down. The last thing I want to do is have to add a buch of power to drag the plane up too the runway. If that happens it's full power and flaps off and go around. With a 50cc motor they will fly with full flaps and questional with a 40cc motor. It only takes a couple hundred feet of the runway for landings with all that drag on a 23 to 25# airplane. Landing with no flaps uses close to 400'.
You need to go out to the field when no one is around and just spend some time up high at half or less power doing turns with flaps and without. Thats what I do at the start of every spring after not flying a warbird for four months.
Another thing...dropping the retracts will make the plane pitch down a little on the down wind leg so I drop half flaps for more lift and only after turning final do I drop full flaps and use the power as needed. And don't do those half mile finals. They just get you in trouble. My best landings are a little high turning final and not very far out.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to add to MX.
I have a TF GS Mustang and GS TF P-47 and been flying them for years.
Early on I had a hack of a time landing both of them.
Lots of struts bent and wheel well repairs.
Like all warbirds in that weight range I always made the mistake to try to float the landing in.
Even coming in on final with full flaps and plenty of power I always was afraid to run out of runway and tried to cut the throttle when the plane were a foot off the runway and try to glide the beast in.
The obvious result was plenty of bouncing and ground loops that messed the gear up every time.
The way I cured it is to force myself to fly the plane under good power all the way to touchdown and then and only then I cut the throttle.
Most important for me is to be correctly set up on final, level gear down full flaps and plenty of power.
If I cross the runway and I feel I am either too high or long or something doesn't look right I learned to GO AROUND and try again instead of forcing the landing.
The last year and this past summer I finally enjoyed flying my birds.
The landing terror is gone.
I come in with power, settle on the mains every time, and cut the throttle with a short roll out and another great landing.
Force yourself to fly the plane all the way to the ground and you will be rewarded with a perfect landing every time.

Fabio
Old 12-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Thunderbolt47

One note to add, you said you where running a 22x8 prop. That is one heck of a brake at idle.

As a personal opinion a 22x8 is not enough prop for that engine(DLE55). My guess is you are turning so serious rpms in the air. (=LOUD) I know your not flying fast with that prop either. A 22x10 would be a much better choice. it will pickup a little more speed and should make landing easier. If you are happy with the speed try a 23x8. just remember that an even bigger brake.

Mine flys with a racing prop and I have to be at a dead idle at landing, full flaps and she lands like a butterfly with sore feet.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Thunderbolt47

OMT these are my rules for landing.

High winds, no flaps

Moderate wind, (gusty) half flaps but a little more speed to land. This keeps her from falling out of the sky if the wind stops for a second.

No wind, full flaps

Don't ever be embarrassed to GO AROUND if it doesn't feel right.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Valve floater

Thanks guys. I want to learn to land this thing. Going to read over these posts again to let it sink in. Looks like you really can`t flair this plane. Just fly it to the ground. I`m trying to finese it to the ground by chopping the throttle to early and working the elevator too much.

Name:	Fc90296.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1828660  
Old 12-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Thunderbolt47

You brought up another point. When landing leave the elavator alone. You set the angle of attack with it and control the decent with throttle.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:04 PM
flyboy12
My Feedback: (57)

Guys I've been told that these Mustangs are a lot like the real ones as far as landing them or flying them. This aircraft has to be flown not floated like a trainer or aerobatic plane. Love this plane and wouldnt think of having it any other way.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 PM
ALWAYSPDG
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Floater.

Use about 1/4 throttle with full flaps, land it with power. You fly it onto the runway, do not try to flare it, fly it onto the runway. I learned this when flying my 60 size TF P-51. My buddy tried several times trying to flare it when landing, didn't work very well. I kept telling him to use some power and fly it onto the runway, when he did that, it landed nice! He was surprised that it had to be landed that way. He was used to landing his other RC planes in a flare.

I have nice landings when I just fly it onto the runway while keeping some power on. When you are on final with full flaps you want the nose to be pointed down enough to maintain airspeed. Use your throttle to control descent rate. Pitch controls airspeed, throttle controls decent rate.

Hope that helps,

Mike

Old 12-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Valve floater

Taking it all in. Thanks all. Now to get out there and put it to use. Sometimes i get my landing perfect. I just think it was luck or something. I need to take this info and use it.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:38 AM
MX240

All these guys have given you really good advice. It is like rideing a bicycle....when you learn how you never forget.
I want to talk to you about the "flair"??
You are on final approch and the nose is down a little with full flaps and a small amout of power (Above a idle) and you can see you are going to make the runway without having to add more power. You are about a foot above the runway and you bring the nose up level with the runway (the tail is still high) and IF the Mustang feels "sinky" (is that a word) you will add a SMALL amout of power because NOW those flaps are really starting to hold you back. You let the mains touch with the wing still producing small lift....cut he power and LET GO OF ANY UP ELEVATOR you are holding....just let that stick go and steer with the rudder down the runway. The tail will come down by it's self. If you are not really nose heavy it will not nose over. Mine is a hair nose heavy as I didn't install a retract tail wheel this time.

It's hard to tell someone how to do this on paper.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Valve floater

Very helpful. Like playing it out in my head. thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 PM
MX240

I had a club meeting tonight and a guy gave me a picture of my Mustang taking off this last summer.
Looks just like this when landing only the flaps are down.

Another thought on the "flair" if you find you are high you can cut the throttle all the way back to idle to get down...but just be prepared to add power as you level out.
You want the wing to be lifting a small amount when you touch down.

Name:	Hf98341.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1829025  
Old 12-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Valve floater

What a great picture. So tell me guys? Is there anything that could look that good? Just look how pretty and high that tail is. Makes me feel patriotic to own such an example of a historic plane. More the reason to learn how to land this darn thing! lol
Old 12-12-2012, 07:03 AM
MX240

That picture must have been taken in May or June of 2012 because of all the green grass and one of my evening flys because of the shadows.
By July all our grass was dead brown form the drought and still is to this day.

My spare TF Mustang is about done, with all the servo's in place and hooked up. The extra DA 50 will be removed and placed in a new TF FW 190 for next summer. I have to congratulate Top Flite for their fine aircraft and getting the wing/tail angles right so we don't have to carry elevator trim to fly level. Something that other companys to understand maybe.

The Mustang in the picture has a DA 50 and weighs 23 lb's and a Carbon 22-10 prop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.