Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

Old 06-06-2015, 10:08 PM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been soft mounting my engines the same way, it works pretty good, but I use a side exhaust engine with a wrap around muffler. A support on the free side of the muffler is required to stop vibration from loosening the bolts. I used aluminum Pitts style mufflers but had cracking problems so I started building my own from steel tube. My steel mufflers are heavier than the aluminum type but no cracking and I usually don't need nose weight for CG.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:13 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oldtimer4759
G´day Roger,
I didnt build mine, but here is a picture of the way it has been done, hope it helps.
Oldtimer.
Good day Oldtimer; I really appreciate you taking your precious spare time to take photos of your engine mounting. I see the previous owner used the soft mount and washers and metal spacers to get the correct engine length for cowl and spinner back plate spacing. I am using the soft mount too, the spacers that will be used to get the correct back plate spacing will be plywood. The engine mount is almost complete, I will take a couple of photos and post them when completed.

Your assistance was very much appreciated, "Cheers"!!

Roger
Old 06-08-2015, 06:31 PM
rossmick

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All

That sure is news about the roll pin, never saw one in the gear package nor any instruction to use it. I totally believe you as that I was going to drill a hole, tap and install a bolt when I saw the other available hole. Problem as I see it is that if one should loose that aircraft to some totally non pilot error situation (joke) and you have drilled the axle for the 51 you would have a very difficult time reusing the gear if it survived the crash. What did you guys use for a pin? I would think something semi soft as you would want the pin to fail before destroying the gear. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:08 PM
sjhanc

rossmick,
The pins are called roll pins, they are split end to end. They have to be slightly larger than the hole so that when tapped into place friction will hold then. If you have to install the gear in a different plane you can drive them out with a pin punch that is the same or a little smaller than the hole. For this last to work the hole has to go all the way through so the pin punch can work. You can find split roll pins at automotive parts houses in assortment kits. Some parts houses may have them individually. Not expensive. You also might find them in farm tractor service centers. I think I remember one pilot finding a small Ziploc bag containing the pins mixed up with the packing materials in the shipping box after he was made awe of them.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:15 PM
sjhanc

rosssmick,
I looked on Amazon and found numerous offers for split roll pins but you will have to know what size is needed. You might email the gear manufacturer, they should also be able to give you the correct size so you can get some locally.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:26 PM
rossmick

sjhanc

Thanks, yes I know what a roll pin is, just was not sure that the definition was the same as I knew. I will try and look for a Ziploc bag, but it has been too many shop cleanups in between. I can envision just a slight shift in the gear position could be problematic to reset. I understand it can be accomplished just a little nervous about destroying the gear. The roll pins I have used in the past are quite hard and as I have never sheared one off I wonder which will go first, gear or pin.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:57 PM
sjhanc

rossmick,
You can get stainless split pins which are not as shear resistant as the hardened type. I think any twisting force(usually ground loops) would bend or break the strut and the pin would not be a factor. Those struts are pretty beefy and I have never heard of anyone damaging the retract, only tearing the whole gear out, mount and all. I use Robarts and even a bounce and go round will bend struts. With the reinforced wing mounts I haven't had mount damage only one bent strut. The replacement upper strut tubes cost less than $20 so I carry a couple of spares in case I have a brainfart at an away event. I can replace a bent strut tube in a short time and keep flying. Ever now and then I check the slightly bent strut tubes and I take any tube that doesn't have wrinkles or kinks and straighten them out using a brass hammer and a long bolt inside the tube to prevent dents.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:15 PM
ForcesR

Default 20 P-51 Mustangs Flying Formation

This is the first time I've seen this video; most of you may have already seen this video I thought I would share it with all and those who may have not seen this video. Hopefully this will inspire TF P-51 owners/builders to finish their projects and maiden their TF Mustangs

Roger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9CoBMlOLi4
Old 06-10-2015, 07:13 PM
sjhanc

A good video, I have watched it several times.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:28 PM
sjhanc

I you want to hear a really neat sound from a P 51, search this on Google, P 51 mustang whistling . I had never heard this before, it is the from the 2 stage Merlin supercharger. Now I am trying to figure out how I can get my model P 51 to make this sound. There will be several videos on the page of planes making the sound including a Spitfire. When I was told by a WWII veteran that they all did this I thought it must be the gun ports, but you can hear the gears that drive the supercharger too. Gun ports don't have gears. In Florida all of the air shows are at sea level so the supercharger is either disabled or is engaged at higher power levels or high altitude.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:24 AM
ForcesR

Originally Posted by sjhanc
I you want to hear a really neat sound from a P 51, search this on Google, P 51 mustang whistling . I had never heard this before, it is the from the 2 stage Merlin supercharger. Now I am trying to figure out how I can get my model P 51 to make this sound. There will be several videos on the page of planes making the sound including a Spitfire. When I was told by a WWII veteran that they all did this I thought it must be the gun ports, but you can hear the gears that drive the supercharger too. Gun ports don't have gears. In Florida all of the air shows are at sea level so the supercharger is either disabled or is engaged at higher power levels or high altitude.
sjhanc; it is indeed the supercharger that produces the whistling noise. The P-51 Mustang and Spitfire airshow pilots that I have talked to told me the noise level of the supercharger whistle depends on the throttle power setting. I bought whistles several years ago that simulates the supercharger noise, it's made for the Spitfire but works installed in the Mustang too. I have whistles installed in the radiator scoops of my RC Mustangs and Spitfires. They sound great and cause many questions to be asked by other RC flyers at the flying field. Here is the link to the company in the UK where I purchased the whistles.

Roger

http://www.warbirdreplicas.co.uk/Air-Whistle/33.htm
Old 06-11-2015, 03:34 AM
sjhanc

ForcesR,
Thanks I already have some of the large air whistles that I put on my large gliders but they don't sound like a Merlin, more like a jet engine. I will get some of these. The whistles I have are audible on a fast glider at over 2000 feet. They indicate lift as the sound gets louder and higher pitched when the sailplane enters lift.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:46 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gentlemen,

I am looking for a source for linear actuators. Want to use them on gear doors. In the past I used air cylinders or programmable servos, I am trying to get way from that. I tried Lados 4 years ago and they were to big.
Any suggestions?
Old 06-11-2015, 04:36 PM
ForcesR

Default DLE 55RA Soft Engine Mounting

Finally finished making the plywood mount and spacers for the DLE 55RA, I used the soft mount and bolted it to the firewall with the attachment bolts and rubber bushings that came with soft mount. The outer mount is 1/4 plywood and is bolted to the soft mount using 8 blind nuts and 8 X 8-32 X 1 1/4" socket head cap screws. The overall thickness of the soft mount, outer mount and spacers is 1-3/16"; the only thing left to do is to fuel proof the mount. I now have 1/8" spacing between the cowl and spinner back plate

Roger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DLE 55RA Soft Engine Mount 003.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	764.0 KB
ID:	2102073   Click image for larger version

Name:	DLE 55RA Soft Engine Mount 004.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	777.7 KB
ID:	2102074   Click image for larger version

Name:	DLE 55RA Soft Engine Mount 005.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	778.3 KB
ID:	2102075  
Old 06-11-2015, 05:09 PM
sjhanc

chris923, Don't buy these. I got them to operate the main gear doors on my P 51 B. They burned out after 2 cycles with no load on them. I have since seen these on several different brands of electric landing gear.

Name:	WP_001399.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	486.4 KB
ID:	2102077  
Old 06-11-2015, 07:57 PM
chris923

chris923, Don't buy these. I got them to operate the main gear doors on my P 51 B. They burned out after 2 cycles with no load on them. I have since seen these on several different brands of electric landing gear.
sjhanc,

I haven't seen those. Do you know where you got them so I can avoid them? I was looking at wingspan retracts. I can get a pair of retract actuators from them.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:17 PM
rossmick

All

Trivia -- roll pin/split pin is now called tension pin. That's how I found them at Ace.

I would love to find a good linear actuator. Anyone thought about using hydraulics instead of air or electric for actuators. Don't the turbo guys use hydraulics ?

Last edited by rossmick; 06-11-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:11 AM
shafs

great Video, I am also building a aero works mustang. and was just wondering where you put you batteries on your aircraft.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:17 AM
sjhanc

Look at www.Firgelli.com for linear actuators, some of the builders are using these to operate the canopy on the H-9 60 cc Mustang. I have no personal experience with this product.

Name:	040%20%2013-X3.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	2102366  
Old 06-13-2015, 02:41 PM
chris923

Look at www.Firgelli.com for linear actuators, some of the builders are using these to operate the canopy on the H-9 60 cc Mustang. I have no personal experience with this product.
Thank you!
Old 06-14-2015, 05:59 PM
Turnale

All - Just in case someone would be interested - I released on Ponoko.com the engine mount I had laser-cut for installing a DLE-55RA on the P-51 ARF
It fits right in and align the shaft perfectly. The motor mount uses the blind nut on the firewall for alignment only. All the parts must be epoxied together, so the installation is definitive.

http://www.ponoko.com/make-your-own/...-arf-1-5-12516

The laser cut part kit is $39, and I think the shipping cost for the continental US should be around $16.

I usually use Ponoko for cutting/machining part for myself. It is the first time I share something that can be ordered - not sure it will work correctly. If you are intersted and experience any problem with the website, just let me know, we will figure something out.

Name:	mount_1.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	2102647   Click image for larger version

Name:	mount_2.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	753.2 KB
ID:	2102648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount_3.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	502.4 KB
ID:	2102649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount_4.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	664.7 KB
ID:	2102650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3880.JPG
Views:	499
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	2102652   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3887.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2102653  
Old 06-15-2015, 12:28 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, I can not believe this thread is still alive and well. My TF Mustang is now 13 years young and still flying. As some of you know I converted it to the C model razor back and then glassed and painted it in the Tuskegee Airmen paint scheme. The video brought back great memories of the event. I was fortune enough to be present all five days of the event. I only live about 1 1/2 hours drive from the site. It was AWESOME! I have three CDs worth of photos.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:52 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by Turnale
All - Just in case someone would be interested - I released on Ponoko.com the engine mount I had laser-cut for installing a DLE-55RA on the P-51 ARF
It fits right in and align the shaft perfectly. The motor mount uses the blind nut on the firewall for alignment only. All the parts must be epoxied together, so the installation is definitive.

http://www.ponoko.com/make-your-own/...-arf-1-5-12516

The laser cut part kit is $39, and I think the shipping cost for the continental US should be around $16.

I usually use Ponoko for cutting/machining part for myself. It is the first time I share something that can be ordered - not sure it will work correctly. If you are intersted and experience any problem with the website, just let me know, we will figure something out.

What's that tab that protrudes forward on the top of the mount for?
Old 06-17-2015, 05:44 AM
Turnale

This is to strap on the ignition box - makes for a very clean installation.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:45 AM
ForcesR

Originally Posted by ForcesR
Finally finished making the plywood mount and spacers for the DLE 55RA, I used the soft mount and bolted it to the firewall with the attachment bolts and rubber bushings that came with soft mount. The outer mount is 1/4 plywood and is bolted to the soft mount using 8 blind nuts and 8 X 8-32 X 1 1/4" socket head cap screws. The overall thickness of the soft mount, outer mount and spacers is 1-3/16"; the only thing left to do is to fuel proof the mount. I now have 1/8" spacing between the cowl and spinner back plate

Roger
For any one interested, cost of plywood and hardware to make the DLE 55RA mount was approximately $12.50. Photos of the DLE 55RA I made is shown above in post # 3639.

Roger

Last edited by ForcesR; 06-17-2015 at 06:07 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.