Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:12 AM
smithfj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
For you modelers building the Top Flite P-51, giant scale, or setting up the ARF I have a complete set of gear that was in my bird for sale. I crashed the bird on the maiden flight with the gear retracted so no damage has been done to them except sitting in a box for over a year. As you can see from the photos there is well over $600.00 worth of gear and accessories. I will let everything you see, including the canopy go for $400.00 and I'll ship in the US. There is gear door blocks on the main struts that I made too. You can email me at [email protected] or send a PM and I'll get back to you. I will only accept a US Postal Money Order and parts will be mailed to you, at my cost, as soon as I get the money order. No need looking for me in the classifieds as I have not posted there but you will get what you see in the photos. Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.JPG
Views:	669
Size:	764.2 KB
ID:	2160659   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0312.JPG
Views:	588
Size:	720.4 KB
ID:	2160660   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313.JPG
Views:	565
Size:	761.8 KB
ID:	2160661  
Old 05-03-2016, 03:26 PM
rampage-1
My Feedback: (18)

Originally Posted by smithfj

Hi,
For you modelers building the Top Flite P-51, giant scale, or setting up the ARF I have a complete set of gear that was in my bird for sale. I crashed the bird on the maiden flight with the gear retracted so no damage has been done to them except sitting in a box for over a year. As you can see from the photos there is well over $600.00 worth of gear and accessories. I will let everything you see, including the canopy go for $400.00 and I'll ship in the US. There is gear door blocks on the main struts that I made too. You can email me at [email protected] or send a PM and I'll get back to you. I will only accept a US Postal Money Order and parts will be mailed to you, at my cost, as soon as I get the money order. No need looking for me in the classifieds as I have not posted there but you will get what you see in the photos. Frank

I hate to hear about the crash. You might know I just ordered all these items a month ago, go figure.
Also, what caused the crash?

Last edited by rampage-1; 05-03-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:59 PM
smithfj

The crash was caused by flying to slow and a snap roll to it's death. I learned real fast the warbirds like the P-51 needs airspeed to stay aloft. My takeoff and trimming was no problem and a few circuits around the field felt good. I retracted the landing gear and approached the end of the runway fairly low and slow for the guys to get pictures and just got to slow for the bird. Not the aircrafts fault but pilot error, aka, short between the headset. LOL
Frank
Old 05-04-2016, 01:39 PM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Frank I want Electric and Aluminum wheels but I make take you up on this. Need to see where I will land with adding conversion and wheels. It is a fair asking price.

Mine be was delivered by UPS yesterday crashed in the box. Something put a hole through it all. Both wings and fuse. Looked like the delivery process at the beginning of Pet Detective movie. LOL. Hats off to Tower. They are express shipping a replacement and had UPS pick up the crashed in box plane today.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:54 PM
smithfj

Originally Posted by ThunderBoat42
Frank I want Electric and Aluminum wheels but I make take you up on this. Need to see where I will land with adding conversion and wheels. It is a fair asking price.

Mine be was delivered by UPS yesterday crashed in the box. Something put a hole through it all. Both wings and fuse. Looked like the delivery process at the beginning of Pet Detective movie. LOL. Hats off to Tower. They are express shipping a replacement and had UPS pick up the crashed in box plane today.
Bill, Sorry to hear about your demolished bird during shipment. Tower is good about replacing stuff and sometimes when they ship something I didn't order they tell me to keep it. Nothing big except for a temperature gun for cars which I shipped back to them.
Thanks for your interest in the gear.
FRank
Old 05-04-2016, 02:22 PM
rampage-1

That's why I try to never use UPS. GreyHound Express is half the price and in 15 years has never damaged a plane. Ups is running 50% for a 20 year period, FedEx about 10% or less . Tower has always corrected any problems that I ever had.
Good luck on the build
Old 05-05-2016, 02:30 AM
rampage-1

The Tp70 that's popular in Europe. Not bad for $600, I got 2 of them for testing and working on distributor.
Hi
Keep me updated when you start to mount the TP 70cc in the Mustang.

Last edited by rampage-1; 05-05-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:39 PM
rossmick

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Chris 923

The electric gear was from Century Jet and they were junk. I have some very expensive book ends. I then went to the air Sierras and am very satisfied. Took some serious work to get the plumbing installed from the electric setup.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:34 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Originally Posted by rossmick
Chris 923

The electric gear was from Century Jet and they were junk. I have some very expensive book ends. I then went to the air Sierras and am very satisfied. Took some serious work to get the plumbing installed from the electric setup.
Thanks for the Correction, Ross. CJM retract poor, Sierra great!
Old 05-08-2016, 04:57 PM
rampage-1

Originally Posted by chris923
Sorry no pics.I learned the way to fix the wing from Leo Spychalla. He makes cowls and razor back to turn TF p51d af's in B's. Take the wing joiner, draw a line from the center point on the bottom to a mark 1/4" on both ends of the joiner. Cut or sand that 1/4" off. On the top of the joiner add 1/4" block of hard wood to top of both side of the joiner and tapper it to nothing at the center of the joiner. I then use Hysol 9462 on the joiner, inside the spar pocket and then run a bead of Hysol where the top of the wing will come together. Let to dry. This will leave you with a gap on the bottom of the wing. I take the Hysol and run a bead in the gap on both sides. Then I take aileron stock ( wedge shaped) run a bead of Hysol on both side s 1/4' up from the narrow end. Place stock in gap, tap gently with a mallet. Let dry. Shave off extra stock. Very strong!

Last year a had a Mustang die in flight and it went straight down into concrete. The only thing left of the wing was the complete spar box from end to end and the whole center section where the wing was joined. I have not done the tail mod, I will on my next B Model. I lost my last B Model due to a Bad servo mount last year. A new one is in the works.

Well, I was working on the wing tonight and just as you said, the wing was at 6 degrees dihedral from the factory.
I cut a 1/4in off the bottom of the wing joiner at a tapper to the center and added a 1/4in. to the top of the wing joiner on a tapper to the center of the vee. I dry fitted the wings and it's right at 9 to 10 degrees of dihedral now.

I wonder how many other guy's have done this wing mod?

Last edited by rampage-1; 05-08-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:07 PM
chris923

Originally Posted by rampage-1
Well, I was working on the wing tonight and just as you said, the wing was at 6 degrees dihedral from the factory.
I cut a 1/4in off the bottom of the wing joiner at a tapper to the center and added a 1/4in. to the top of the wing joiner on a tapper to the center of the vee. I dry fitted the wings and it's right at 9 to 10 degrees of dihedral now.

All I can tell you, it has been discuss in the tread before. I don't personally know anyone other than myself who has done the mod.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:44 PM
rampage-1

Originally Posted by chris923
All I can tell you, it has been discuss in the tread before. I don't personally know anyone other than myself who has done the mod.
Well tomorrow there be two after I get it glued up. After I maiden it I will let you know how it does. Of coarse that will be in a few weeks I hope. I have to fit the motor and retracts, etc.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:57 PM
rampage-1

Chris

Did you change the angle of the retracts when you went with the 10 degree of dihedral ?
Old 05-08-2016, 07:02 PM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Where are you getting the information that the full size P-51 Mustang has 10 degrees wing dihedral? I did many searches trying to find the information/specifications for the P-51 Mustang wing dihedral but found nothing stating it was 10 degrees. Here is a link to a video of a P-51 Mustang and a Spitfire flying in tight formation with many head on and aft views of both aircraft together, the wing dihedral on the Mustang looks identical to the Spitfire's 6 degree wing dihedral. If the video link does not work just do a search using the name of the video below.

P-51 Mustang & Spitfire @ Dunsfold Wings & Wheels 2014

~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elnbvQ4GSx

Last edited by ForcesR; 05-08-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:16 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing the dihedral from the correct 6 degrees to 10 degrees is a solution in search of a problem. It's supposed to make the plane fly better or land better...or something?

Built it like the manual shows and you will have a GREAT flying airplane!
Old 05-08-2016, 07:26 PM
ForcesR

Originally Posted by radfordc
Changing the dihedral from the correct 6 degrees to 10 degrees is a solution in search of a problem. It's supposed to make the plane fly better or land better...or something?

I concur, I built the TF kit giant Mustang and have the ARF too, both with 6 degree wing dihedral and both fly great and land without any issues.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:49 PM
rampage-1

Originally Posted by ForcesR
Where are you getting the information that the full size P-51 Mustang has 10 degrees wing dihedral? I did many searches trying to find the information/specifications for the P-51 Mustang wing dihedral but found nothing stating it was 10 degrees. Here is a link to a video of a P-51 Mustang and a Spitfire flying in tight formation with many head on and aft views of both aircraft together, the wing dihedral on the Mustang looks identical to the Spitfire's 6 degree wing dihedral. If the video link does not work just do a search using the name of the video below.

P-51 Mustang & Spitfire @ Dunsfold Wings & Wheels 2014

~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elnbvQ4GSx

Read my thread #3840, I never said that the real P-51 was 10 degrees
Old 05-08-2016, 08:29 PM
jeffmarx

With the webbing mod complete, and the electric Robart gear in place, I am ready to glue the wing together. I noticed some light between the two wing halves, and will need to correct this with some sanding maybe tomorrow evening. After that, Hysol will be used to glue the halves together. I tried the epoxy and just love it. Has anyone glassed the top section of the wing where they join? I have not read further in the manual, so I wasn't sure this was or was not recommended.....any thoughts?
Jeff
Old 05-09-2016, 03:26 AM
ForcesR

Read my thread #3840, I never said that the real P-51 was 10 degrees
My apologies rampage-1! I read # 3840 when you posted but I got so focused on the 10 degrees that the remaining information in the paragraph did not register until I went back and read it again as you suggested. I hope you are planning on taking photos when you finish, I just got to see a P-51 Mustang RC model with more than 6 degrees of wing dihedral. Best of luck in your endeavor, I am waiting with great interest in reading your future posts concerning the modified P-51 Mustang wing dihedral.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:41 AM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you measuring the wing dihedral? Down the top surface, Down the bottom surface, or down the center line of the wing? The 3-view I have shows the dihedral at 10 degrees down the center of the wing. I'll have to research it a little more.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:39 AM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

i had a foam wing cut for mine by eureka aircraft and had them cut the centers for the 10 degrees wanted stability over aerobatic ability.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:52 AM
rampage-1

Default P-51

Dihedral of a plane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dihedral.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	2161760  
Old 05-09-2016, 10:58 AM
chris923

Chris

Did you change the angle of the retracts when you went with the 10 degree of dihedral ?
You can go to 85 deg cam blocks in your retracts. I have done both. 85 is a little more scale with the extra dihedral. But you can use the reg 90 deg retracts.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:05 AM
chris923

Originally Posted by radfordc

No one ever said you had to do the mod. If you read all the TF P51 Mustang treads, they are full of complaints had how lousy and hard it is to land this plane. I personally don't have any issues. I have flown with un-moded wing and with. The change in dihedral wings settle and landed with more stability and and lower speeds then the unmoded wing. How ever, if you don't open and fix the shear webs, you WILL have a wing in pieces before long.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:11 AM
chris923

Originally Posted by Ralph White
Where are you measuring the wing dihedral? Down the top surface, Down the bottom surface, or down the center line of the wing? The 3-view I have shows the dihedral at 10 degrees down the center of the wing. I'll have to research it a little more.
This was the information years ago from a drawing. passed along from Leg Spychalla (P51 cowls). I stand by my experience with this wing and plane, The 10 deg dihedral is more stable IMHO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.