Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Z Hellcat Drop Tank

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Z Hellcat Drop Tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 11:25 AM
RCdude13
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z Hellcat Drop Tank

I'd like to add a center drop tank to the underside of my Ziroli Hellcat. It is the plastic one from Nick Ziroli. Any ideas on how to attach it? This one has me stumped.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

This may or may not be of any use but maybe it will at least get you started. This is how I did it on my 1/8 scale Hellcat.

This is the framework that goes inside the tank. Note that the anti-sway braces at the front are made with threaded rod at the top.

Here is what it looks like glued up inside the top half of the drop tank.

And here are the bits that protrude through the top of the tank. The tab at the rear is what the pylon will be mounted to.

Here is the built up pylon. Note that it has a receptacle built into it so that it slides over the tab mentioned above.

The threads on the anti-sway braces simply plug into hard points in the belly pan and held with a nut and washer.

At the rear there are two tabs built into the pylon which straddle the keel of the belly pan. In the picture a nut and bolt is shown holding the tabs to the keel but these days I simply use a twist tie. Much simpler to remove!

Here it is installed and ready for finish.

I fly with the drop tank installed all the time and have never had a failure of any sort. Of course it is not droppable so a belly landing is going to be UGLY! Hopefully I can avoid that situation. Now if you want to make it droppable that is horse of an entirely different color in which case you can disregard everything above!

Old 08-26-2013, 04:18 AM
RCdude13
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nicely done Chad. My tank is already glued together, and I don't have access to my belly pan from the top. I could rig up a pylon attachment similar to yours. Thanks for the nice photos and detailed description. Your Hellcat looks awesome!

Last edited by RCdude13; 08-26-2013 at 04:20 AM.