Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Skyshark P-40N Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Skyshark P-40N Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 05:59 AM
Corsair2013
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, Not sure anyone is still out there or not. I am sorry that I didn't post before and update everyone on what has happened. My company merged with another company and right away started making major changes to our policies and sales procedures. I wasn't happy and they offered me a severance package and I took it. Decided to leave Utah and move back East where I have family. I ended up in Evansville, IN. I worked for a small company for about 8 months and they were horrible so took another job with Thiele Technologies. I now work throughout the North East US - Indiana east to the coast then Virginia north into Canada. Love the new job...........

After moving, finding a new house, changing jobs twice, staring last job in January 2016 - I am finally getting my SHOP set all up. Much smaller than my last shop but now I will have to focus on one plane at a time - which is better for my attention span.

The P-40 is ready to Taxi and hopefully fly after I do another balance and incidence check. I plan to fly her a few times then this winter do all the detailing and paint.

I have a 60 Corsair that is ready for paint and then I need to break in the engine and do all the final checks and balances. Once that is done I will be ready for the maiden.

Once those two planes are finished 100% my next project will be a Top Flight B-25 that I found at a fantastic price. The plane came with the engines, landing gear, and all the air components.

I finally joined a club here in Evansville - ERCMAC - http://www.evansvillercclub.net/ Great people and a really nice club. Just had our picnic for the year and hopefully we can get some good weather. We have had nothing but rain and winds for two months now.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone.

Keith

Last edited by Corsair2013; 05-20-2016 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:09 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Corsair2013,

There is a member of RCU called "radfordc" that has extensive experience with the Skyshark P-40. I've seen him fly it many times so perhaps he could offer some guidance. I'm not quite sure how to contact him via RCU, but he could help you.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:12 AM
Corsair2013

Thanks Lifer - I know Radfordc and have spoken to him a few time about the Skyshark.

I will post pictures and video of the re-maiden flight...... Hopefully in a couple of months.

Keith
Old 05-20-2016, 06:43 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Skyshark P-40 is fun to fly, but can be unforgiving if you get too close to stall speed. Plenty of right rudder correction during the takeoff is needed. Keep the nose down and don't get too slow on landing.

https://youtu.be/FqIcGxNLALY

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FqIcGxNLALY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-26-2016, 09:20 AM
Corsair2013

Nice flying.............. I really am looking forward to flying her. This weekend is 5 days of getting my trailer all finished so I can haul my planes around and working on the P-40.

When I get her up in the air I will try and get some good video / pics.

Have a great weekend.

Keith
Old 06-11-2016, 08:27 PM
flyboy12
My Feedback: (57)

Hey guys,
I am just about to finish my Skyshark P40. But I am having all kinds of problems with the tail wheel steering. If I tighten the cables up to where there is very little slack when the gear is extended it wants to pull my tail wheel in. Is there something I can do to correct this like installing springs on one end of the cables ?
Frank
Old 06-12-2016, 08:27 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am slowly getting mine together, I've had one up and flying but sold it. Started another, this time out in a scale cockpit and decided was going to scale this one out. It's taking long and I don't have the patience so maybe I'll just get it together and fly it. These are excellent flyers and land easily, just jave to watch the torque to the left and counter with rudder on take off. Other than that a sweet flying gem!
Old 06-13-2016, 06:32 PM
flyboy12
My Feedback: (57)

I've got 2 myself. One I am building and the other one is still new but the wing is totally messed up. I hear these fly really good. I fly Corsairs, Hellcats, Mustangs and Stuka's now so the T factor deal shouldn't give me to much trouble. Just ease in the throttle and give a little bit of right rudder to compensate and off you go. haha. I was going to scale this one out to but decided to just put it together and get it in the air.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:17 PM
jstanton

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I am getting my Skyshark P-40 back in the air. I am in need of a cowl since my other cowl has been damaged. I have called Skyshark and they are all out. Does anyone
Know where I can get a new cowl? I am replacing my Old XYZ 50 with a new EME-60. I also plan to repaint the P-40 with the 23rd fighter group insignia paint theme .
Old 10-04-2016, 04:13 AM
tahustvedt

Originally Posted by jstanton
I am getting my Skyshark P-40 back in the air. I am in need of a cowl since my other cowl has been damaged. I have called Skyshark and they are all out. Does anyone
Know where I can get a new cowl? I am replacing my Old XYZ 50 with a new EME-60. I also plan to repaint the P-40 with the 23rd fighter group insignia paint theme .
What's the damage? It's surprising what can be repaired, especially since you are going to paint over it with new colors anyway.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:58 AM
jstanton

It has been damaged a couple of b times by bad landings. I have tried to repair it myself but I am not a fiberglass expert. I looked at the cowl for the 80" P-40 by Phoenix but not sure it that one will work. I since have found a club membe who can use the old cowl as a mold and make me a new one. I'll post a pic of it once he is done making it.

I fiberglassed the engine box in place when I first built the Skyshark P-40. I had the cut 1 1/2" off the engine box to get the right distance to the prop hub on the EME-60.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:55 AM
jstanton

Got the engine box rebuilt and I have 2 degrees right thrust built into the box. I will mouth the EME-60 this weekend and hopefully get a test run on the engine with a Aerostar 22x10 prop. I'll post some pics once I get the engine mounted. I have a friend that is using the old cowl to make a fiber glass mold so he can build me another cowl. I'll post pic's of it when he has it done.