Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

electric 90 degree rotating retracts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

electric 90 degree rotating retracts

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldn't agree more Chad. I just purchased and installed some Sierras for the very same plane and wished I had done it sooner. I tried the electrics (wingspan,sonics) and they just are not ready for prime time in my book. With air restrictors the Sierras operate as realisticly as I need for a .60 size plane and at 300 ft away when I drop them it don't matter how fast or slow they are. Just my opine
Originally Posted by Chad Veich
Properly set up air retracts are very reliable and Sierra make the perfect set of rotaters for the .60 size P-40. They are bullet proof, come with functional oleos, and have the desired 100 degrees of retraction. My opinion only but I would buy them over ANY currently available electric retract as all of them seem to be having teething issues. Electric retracts are definitely the way of the future but, in my opinion, they have not "come of age" just yet and I have had very reliable service from my pneumatic retracts for many years. My .02 cents anyway.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:41 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still, if we can get a cheapo 90 degree retracts and make it work like the expensive 100 degree types, that is a great benefit and cost savings. I can't justify spending a pile of money for a plane that I bought junked and has to be patched up. I have to go cheap on this project.

I wonder if the retracts themselves can be modified to travel 100 degrees? Machine work, electrical work, any kind of hack?

I have modified mechanical retract mounts in the wing structure in a different airplane by tilting forward the mounts and carving the front part of the mounts, just like LDM described earlier. But that was for a standard retract setup, not the rotating to the rear type.

Last edited by hsukaria; 11-13-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:15 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I also agree with Chad but the original poster was not asking for a comparison of air vs e power, I have no issues with Sierra and in fact have been very lucky with CJ.
However with new innovations in epower retracts I will never go back to air just because I love the simplicity of no pump, no tank and no servo adjustment on the regulator .
Old 11-14-2013, 04:28 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hsukaria
Still, if we can get a cheapo 90 degree retracts and make it work like the expensive 100 degree types, that is a great benefit and cost savings. I can't justify spending a pile of money for a plane that I bought junked and has to be patched up. I have to go cheap on this project.

I wonder if the retracts themselves can be modified to travel 100 degrees? Machine work, electrical work, any kind of hack?

I have modified mechanical retract mounts in the wing structure in a different airplane by tilting forward the mounts and carving the front part of the mounts, just like LDM described earlier. But that was for a standard retract setup, not the rotating to the rear type.
Can retracts themselves be modified to travel enough?

You betcha, but it's not for the faint hearted.

Lado electrics have been strong enough since day one. That's been how many YEARS now? I've had 6 or more 60 size warbirds flying with them since Lado was first available. No problems with power or strength. But the warbirds that need rotators need at least 95 degrees for the models that we have. So..........

One day I sat down and started filing on a new set. I got about 94 degrees before stopping. That set has worked since the first taxi out without fail.

It can be done, but it's not the best design solution. The trunion or frame needs to be redesigned to reliably give more than 90degrees.

Lado appears to be the best hope we have but it looks like they either don't understand the need and requirements, or they don't see enough profit.

Over the years we've been having this problem, I've come to the personal opinion that companies that sell 90degree rotators aren't doing modelers any favors. In fact, they are selling something that I feel isn't really "honest". From personal experience, I seen enough modelers get really lousy performance out of their P40s, Hellcats and Corsairs to have come to the conclusion these businesses are hurting the sport. Having 90degree rotators hurts overall more than it helps.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:18 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by da Rock
Can retracts themselves be modified to travel enough?

You betcha, but it's not for the faint hearted.

Lado electrics have been strong enough since day one. That's been how many YEARS now? I've had 6 or more 60 size warbirds flying with them since Lado was first available. No problems with power or strength. But the warbirds that need rotators need at least 95 degrees for the models that we have. So..........

One day I sat down and started filing on a new set. I got about 94 degrees before stopping. That set has worked since the first taxi out without fail.

It can be done, but it's not the best design solution. The trunion or frame needs to be redesigned to reliably give more than 90degrees.

Lado appears to be the best hope we have but it looks like they either don't understand the need and requirements, or they don't see enough profit.

Over the years we've been having this problem, I've come to the personal opinion that companies that sell 90degree rotators aren't doing modelers any favors. In fact, they are selling something that I feel isn't really "honest". From personal experience, I seen enough modelers get really lousy performance out of their P40s, Hellcats and Corsairs to have come to the conclusion these businesses are hurting the sport. Having 90degree rotators hurts overall more than it helps.
I have to agree about manufacturers missing the boat on the rotator-type retracts. I bet most modellers would gladly, including myself, pay a little extra to get that extra 5-10 degrees of travel.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:41 AM
da Rock

Originally Posted by hsukaria
I have to agree about manufacturers missing the boat on the rotator-type retracts. I bet most modellers would gladly, including myself, pay a little extra to get that extra 5-10 degrees of travel.
That's a good bet.

It's also a good bet the reason some models aren't seen much at the field is how they take off for the average modeler. Almost every flying buddy that has seen my Corsair has said something about having one sometime back. We'll talk some and it's almost guaranteed they ask how I got mine to take off so easy. Significantly, almost none has one now, nor had more than one.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:51 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Robart said they are working a new design to replace the outdated 615's. So what we need then are the quality of a Sierra, with the reliabilty of a Lado at the price of a HobbyKing, and the mass availibility of a Robart And the first one to make them will sell a million and become rich beyond their wildest imagination. I will get started on them today.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:14 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Robart said they are working a new design to replace the outdated 615's. So what we need then are the quality of a Sierra, with the reliabilty of a Lado at the price of a HobbyKing, and the mass availibility of a Robart And the first one to make them will sell a million and become rich beyond their wildest imagination. I will get started on them today.
Sign me up for a set when you get done!!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:09 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a set of Lados, the late version that is intended for 3/16" strut wires. They have never been mounted/ like new, and are the ideal retracts for the Top Flite P-40 IMO. I would not recommend them for Corsair or Hellcat, but the design of the P-40 is perfect for them. Will sell for $150. Email me if interested.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:54 AM
G-JIMG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a set of electric retracts for a Top Flight Corsair and note that Wingspan have received some bad press. Are their problems historic or are they still suffering failures? If so, what's the usual failure mode?

The reason I ask is that their GR630T retract seems like the perfect solution (designed for the TF model, 2.9 oz, 100 deg, etc.) but I obviously don't want to pay $285 + International Shipping + UK import tax only to have them fail. Has anybody used the GR630T Retracts with the Wingspan legs on a TF Corsair?

Being just across the channel from France means a set of Lados with Robart legs is an option, but the Club airfield is all grass and I'd really like to have that 100 degs!
Old 02-03-2014, 10:40 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

I can't speak to the reliability of the units that are specifically designed for the TF planes although I have noticed them on their website. One thing you need to check before you even think of buying them is to see if the motor is the same size that's in the other rotating units. I think the board is probably different since it's separate from the gear. If the motors are the same size, run away as fast as you can. A lot of us around here found out the hard way that those motors are not even capable of lifting a strut without a wheel. The boards also tend to fry very easily. Most of us ended up sending our retracts back 3 or 4 times before we finally gave up. If it were my money, I would get Lados and rake them forward as much as you can to try and prevent nose overs.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:50 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I will be testing the Century jet electric actuators in the next few weeks . I am having my old ESM Corsair retracts converting and my Sierra 100 Degree retracts converted over.
Its not cheap at $179 a pair for conversion but I am sick of air and have successfully used epower retracts and all my 10 lb and under warbirds so I figured I would make the investment and give CJ a shot
Old 02-03-2014, 07:42 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by LDM
I will be testing the Century jet electric actuators in the next few weeks . I am having my old ESM Corsair retracts converting and my Sierra 100 Degree retracts converted over.
Its not cheap at $179 a pair for conversion but I am sick of air and have successfully used epower retracts and all my 10 lb and under warbirds so I figured I would make the investment and give CJ a shot
I just got my actuators for my CJ Top Flite P-47 60 size gear in the mail as well there not rotators but I will gladly report my findings as well.

had a nice conversation with Bruce at CJ he was very enthusiastic about his new line of electrics I also got the controller with the dip switches to hook up a separate battery and such,he did add that the CJ rotators needed some mods at the jack screw to fit properly so if I have good results with the units I have I think I will send off the air CJ's I have for conversion as well.

he said the FW 190 gear and the P-40 gear need to be sized to fit the electric motors, but that the P-47 gear were drop in replacements, one thing for sure there allot more robust looking than the LADO units I bought for my ESM FW190 conversion.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:18 AM
G-JIMG

Originally Posted by irocbsa
I can't speak to the reliability of the units that are specifically designed for the TF planes although I have noticed them on their website. One thing you need to check before you even think of buying them is to see if the motor is the same size that's in the other rotating units. I think the board is probably different since it's separate from the gear. If the motors are the same size, run away as fast as you can. A lot of us around here found out the hard way that those motors are not even capable of lifting a strut without a wheel. The boards also tend to fry very easily. Most of us ended up sending our retracts back 3 or 4 times before we finally gave up. If it were my money, I would get Lados and rake them forward as much as you can to try and prevent nose overs.
Thanks. The Lado's and a modified installation it is then.

By the way, I contacted Lado about a 100 deg version and got a quick response:

Hi Jim, no for now we had only 90 deg rotating version, we will do an 100 deg maybe this year, but nothing sure

Cordialement /rgds
Christophe
Old 02-04-2014, 04:35 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Don't hold your breath for the 100 degree set. They've been saying that for two years now.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:44 AM
G-JIMG

I know - you would think they'd realise there's a real market for a good set of 100 deg rotating retracts.